QLD Moreton Bay Islands

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by SurfSeeker, 20th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SurfSeeker

SurfSeeker Active Member

Hello,
    Is anyone able to tell me why the islands Ie Macleay, Russell, Coochiemudlo etc are so cheap??

2. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

Hahahaha!!!

Oh. You're serious.

Ummm.... flooding, mozzies, crime, no transport, **** housing, no employment.

And a history of scams involving blocks of "land" that are actually 6' underwater at high tide.

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Mar, 2022
  3. Headlong

Headlong Well-Known Member

Macleay has most of the crime. Russell/Karragarra/Lamb would be okay for retirement

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Check out the demographic of who wants to live there. Very limited range of consumers, costs to transport everything across from the mainland

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't think it's cheap anymore.
    A mate bought over on one island about one month ago ,new build garage carport ect for 390k ..
    At least it's in the high part with a breeze, some of the lower part's..
    Transport wise from what he told me the ferry is free for rate holder's to the mainland where most people shop..
    Good lifestyle if you can afford the Saltwater maintenance costs and rates ect.

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I don't think even a free ferry can make up for the inconvenience of going out for dinner, only to find that you've missed the ferry back home.

7. willair

Skater,I think it's the lifestyle they want ..They have a good RSL ect on the island plus my mate who worked for the BCC for 40 years on 24/7 callout just wants to go fishing ..

8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I understand that......but that doesn't mean that they won't get sick of the RSL and want to visit the mainland frequently. Plus, when you say the ferry is free for ratepayers, is that for the vehicular ferry as well?

9. willair

Not sure on the ferry,if it's a sit down or you can take the car,but I'll ask next time.
    The intend to use the property as a home base,as he's still waiting for deliveries of new 4x4 and offroad caravan then travel as Australia has so much to offer.

skater likes this.
  10. SurfSeeker

SurfSeeker Active Member

Yep - Completely serious!
    Look up Scotland Island and Dangar Island in Sydney and the price of RE on them........Several ext family lived on Dangar for over a decade and I spent most weekends either gardening, crabbing, fishing and messing about the water on boats and water toys then sipping Martini’s waiting for the BBQ to be ready or lighting a fire to sit by in the cooler months. Watched the demographic change over that time from largely renters and weekenders to majority permanent home seekers. I’m wondering if it is yet again a case of mainland locals who have never been there, missing what is staring them in the face........might have to jump on a ferry and go take a closer look.

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Mar, 2022
    New Town and TheRons like this.
  11. SurfSeeker

SurfSeeker Active Member

Thanks Headlong, what sort of crime are we talking about here? Drugs? theft ? DV, all of the above?

12. SurfSeeker

SurfSeeker Active Member

As I said to Ashbury Duke - check out Scotland and Dangar Islands in Northern Sydney. Lived on and off there for well over ten years and watched the demographic change, as people realised the lifestyle opportunities afforded and the prices increase, moving the demographic goldposts. I needed to go to Thornlands the other day to pick up something and got some lunch near the ferry terminal to Coochiemudlo. When the newly migrated UK owner told me how much she had paid for a very unimpressive house in an unimpressive street, I felt sad - I’d rather spend half that and have the weekends and evenings playing in boats.

13. SurfSeeker

SurfSeeker Active Member

Where else can you get a new build, so close to the water.
    So what I am seeing here is an opportunity that your mate has seen, talk to him in another 6 mths and let us know if he is enjoying fishing, crabbing, watersports, limited traffic

14. SurfSeeker

SurfSeeker Active Member

Hey Skater, You are right, the inconvenience of going out for dinner, or your car breaking down or getting stuck in traffic and missing the last ferry definately sucks. It’s even worse when the independent Water taxi who charges extortion rates, decides it’s too wet and cold and windy that night to work late no matter what amount of money you are prepared to throw at him.....been there done that in Sydney It takes a little planning but if you have paid a quarter of the amount for a house on the mainland, a night out for dinner followed by a night in an expensive hotel is chicken feed in the long run.
    But like I said to Ashbury Duke, and Angel, the lifestyle that living on an island affords in terms of relaxation is priceless.
    I think the islands of Brisbane are yet to realise their potential, same as the Sydney residential islands found their time.

15. AussiePropertyDream2050

AussiePropertyDream2050 New Member

Because Islands they are remote fewer people live there and you need ferries to get in expensive day to day life.

16. AsburyJuke

I guess there is a possibility that the Bay islands will boom... it's not on my radar, but if you see an opportunity there, fair play to you!

SurfSeeker likes this.
  17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Moreton Bay islands aren’t like Pittwater.

Suggest you visit before seriously consider investing there.

I am sure they will boom “one dayl, but I am also sure I won’t live long enough to see it.

SurfSeeker likes this.
  18. AsburyJuke

To be honest - this is exactly my reaction (as a Brisbane local).

However... maybe we need to "check our bias" and be open-minded to opportunities in Moreton Bay?!

Edit - I did giggle at comparing Scotland Island to Russell Island!!

Marg4000 and SurfSeeker like this.
  19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

South Moreton Bay islands are where all the flood debris and plume ends up. These islands are where the rubbish goes. And suffer from tidal surges in storms etc
    I recalled a old article from a few years ago and finally found it. The cheap land also attracts low quality dwellings which can also be poorly maintained. Think caravan park v resort living. That said, Redlands Council are attempting to ensure future construction is to a better standard than past.

Buy land for the price of a holiday on the islands of Moreton Bay - realestate.com.au

Not sure what lender polices are for this type of purchase. May be low LVR

SurfSeeker likes this.
  20. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I live on an island in Moreton Bay, but it does have a bridge. Having said that, have travelled to The Big Island exactly once this year (funeral). Everything we need is here.

SurfSeeker likes this.