Monitoring number of properties on sale

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Morgan2010, 31st Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Morgan2010

Morgan2010 New Member

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to monitor suburb by suburb how many properties are listed every week on RealEstate.com.au and on Domain.com.au, and how many get sold? The evolution of the ratio listed/sold would help identifying suburbs where demand is increasing.
    I searched on both sites and couldn’t find historical data.

Would you say it could be an interesting resource/reference for investing? I mean, would you like to find such data too or it’s just me?

Property Guts, MWI and David Di Spio like this.
  2. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

unsure, but I think you might find the DSR score and weekly auction clearances rates helpful

MWI likes this.
  3. David Di Spio

David Di Spio Member

This is a great question @Morgan2010 - I'm currently reading Unlocking the Property Market by John Lindeman and he speaks about tracking current listings and published annual sales to understand demand. The published annual sales are in the back of YIP Magazine but I can't seem to find accurate listing numbers.

I'm thinking of going to REA and Domain and typing the suburb name in and seeing how many listings come up. If you do his for a couple of months you might be able to get a sense but it's not great. It would be great if there was a way to see listings over a period of time for a suburb.

Have you had any luck with this?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
    David

Property Guts likes this.
  4. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I think you can obtain such data from YPI magazine, it has listings and whether they increase or decrease and as suggested the DSR score uses this in their calculations too (I think!). However no matching sales though in conjunction..? How would you know though some listings could be pulled out not all are sold though?

5. Morgan2010

Morgan2010 New Member

I did a bit of research and haven't found the data available. But I found a way to get it with with creating a relatively simple tool. As I'm not a developer, I haven't done it.
    I'm wondering whether that would be worth the investment.

@MWI Listing that are sold are marked as such. There is a way to only record these records as a sale and not include the ones that have just been removed.

6. Property Guts

Property Guts Well-Known Member

yes this is John Lindemans strategy. He reckons it allows him to get a head start on where supply/demand is at dramatic change. I started an excel file and manually keep a record on my favoured postcodes. But getting sold data is hard with www.realestate.com.au So I have a subscription to Corelogic and use that. I haven't purchased Johns reports, but i can see the high value in them, or others that provide this service. Plus, i think if you just tracked quantity for sale, that would be a good data set.

7. Morgan2010

Morgan2010 New Member

Thanks @Property Guts. Yes indeed, I went to one of John Lindemans' seminars several years ago and remember that it was his approach. That's why I've been wondering how I could get such data.
    Can I ask you what product you're subscribed to on Corelogic?

8. Property Guts

Property Guts Well-Known Member

Core Logic, RP Data Pro. A few of us have combined for a NSW Subscription, which includes regionals in other states too. About $1000 p/a

Morgan2010 likes this.