Money paid to a job agency tax deduction

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by 5602, 18th Oct, 2011.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 5602

5602 Member

Hi all who read this,

I have a question on whether I can claim payment of $800 I made to an overseas working holiday company.

The situation is - A few months back I secured an overseas ski field job and paid a standard agency 'package' fee in the process. The job was to start this November, but in the meantime I landed a great job here in Australia and decided stay for the long term career prospects and hence declined the ski field job. I cannot get the $800 back from the agency as it is within the agreement that if you decline a job offer, you don't get it back. No harm done there.

What I am wondering is whether it is possible to claim this $800 on my tax under any sections? I figure it is an expense I incurred in order to make money in future, sort of like an investment expense. Only I can't see anywhere I could claim it.

Is this a possible deduction?

If any further info is needed let me know, and many thanks in advance for any help! :)

2. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

Short answer is "No". I actually think it wouldn't even be deductible should you have accepted and taken the ski job, but no doubt the agency told you it was.