money doesnt mean much to this Gen

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 12th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. joel

joel Well-Known Member

If everyone saved all of their disposable income then our economy would fall apart. Be thankful that others are willing to waste their money so that you dont have to.

Eric Wu, dan_89, Cards and 7 others like this.
  2. LCK

LCK Active Member

Sometimes I think people who enjoy their money as you mentioned are happier than those who save every penny for their mortgage/IP.. Living in the moment and not for tomorrow etc etc

JZ93, dan_89, SOULFLY3 and 4 others like this.
  3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Sure would!
    Enjoy money along the way..I like travel and spend money there at least once a year for 4-6 weeks. But also go on shorter trips regularly.

Cactus likes this.
  4. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Gen Y can be as old as 35 apparently so your comments were a massive generalisation that probably doesn't fit everyone hence the feedback you recieved. A smaller generalisation like saying people in their 20s may have been more appropriate but it's still an unfair generalisation.

I find it pretty odd though that given you start so many threads after every brain fart you have, you give people a hard time for posting on your thread and call their post boring drivel.

Pot meet kettle.

Ouga, Ran Gus, sash and 1 other person like this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Age is only a number "DB",i'm off to see the 70's punk band the stranglers at the tivoli theatre in the brisbane valley quite shortly ,last time the bass player king hit a punk rocker in the head when he kept telling him was a ******,and 40 years ago,i know there will be older people then me there and i'm 60..

WattleIdo likes this.
  6. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

Im dont fit your age criterior but i fit the type of person you are talking aboit. I spent a majority of my 20's going out to clubs/pubs, spending way too much money not caring about my future much. Now 31. Yeah sure I'd probably be better off financially if i didn't, but probably would have never met a majority of my now really good mates and definitely wouldn't have met my now partner with whom I have 1 kid and another 5 weeks away.

Wouldn't change it, and I still have plenty of time up my sleeve. (I did have a decent job and still bought my first ppor at 24)

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  7. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

I think this generation is the easiest. There are so many opportunities if you cared to look. Gumtree, uber, classified ads, airbnb, Instagram, Facebook, freelancer.

My mum didn't have a uni degree, and my father had to change his so he can go work 3 jobs (because his original degree was too time intensive).

My mums first overseas holiday after migrating to Aus didn't happen until she was into her 30s.

Nothing right or wrong. But this is by far the easiest generation there ever has been.

WattleIdo, willair and sanj like this.
  8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

don't know about easiest but imo the opportunities available for young people this decade/century vs the past is far superior.

the world was a much smaller place then and Australia was much more insular. people now are exposed to hell of a lot more that can aid them personally, professionally and financially imo.

imo there's no question housing market is worse off for them vs their parents, arguably uni fees too but that's made up for in other areas from the way I look at it.

WattleIdo and Sonamic like this.
  9. LMD

LMD Well-Known Member

simple fact of life - no one will ever think that they've had it easy.

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

OMG shock, 18-25 yr olds like going to nightclubs, stop the press. Lol at this guy.
    Sorry but you sound like a grumpy old man who thinks himself superior because he owns an apartment yet can't afford a car or for that mater have any fun. Why compare/judge others anyway, to me just shows a lack of maturity. PS. I own a house(s), car and I still have fun.

dan_89 likes this.
  11. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

Darlinghurstboy, my husband also loves his Calvin's. We couldn't afford to buy them in Australia....so we stocked up when we traveled to the US for about a quarter of the price.....or had family mail them to us......or when the Aussie was strong, we bought them online.

Just because someone loves their Calvin's doesn't make them a bore......nor does it make them any lesser by the standards/priorities than the ones you live by.

12. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

That's good for you.!

Myself, I don't like blood sausage.....

So what is your point?
    You obviously have a different value set!
    Why don't you like Gen Y?

13. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I'd say they keep asking for money, am I right @kierank ?

kierank likes this.
  14. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Big assumption.... I use to go clubbing pretty regularly... But as I don't drink alcohol or softdrink I could go out without spending a cent. I would be stumbling around at 2am.... but don't judge I would like to see you walk in six inch heels after dancing the night away.

15. joel

joel Well-Known Member

The amount of time I spent out clubbing was inversely proportional to how much it cost to get sh*tfaced

Wall Street, legallyblonde and R377 like this.
  16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yep, we could always have another war ( like conditions too WWI or WWII ) and see if they would rather be with the opportunity they had, how things have changed.

kierank likes this.
  17. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

I call the kids aged 20 and under "Gen S".

Selfish, Social media, Soft, Self centred, Selfies

joel and mrdobalina like this.
  18. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

We used to load up on drink first before going out, then sneak in a little bottle in with you at the club...

willair likes this.
  19. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

As a gay member of Gen Y with an older partner there are quite a few things about this post that make me wince. It's certainly the case that some members of every generation are all about being showy and loud about their wealth, but certainly not the majority of those I know.

Many of us are hard working, rarely go out clubbing, own property and save money for our future plans. In fact, lots of us twenty-somethings do not live in the inner city.

It's also hardly to do with age - I know many older people trying to keep up with the Joneses as well by purchasing huge homes they don't need and all sorts of crap. And all power to them if that's how they want to live and what works for them.

It's hugely upsetting to me when I read such sweeping generalisations that come from a narrow experience of a group.

If you want people to respect you, then your priorities are out of whack. Many people look down on my partner and I, refuse to legitimise our relationship, think we are trash because we live in Mount Druitt and only have one secondhand car, call us crazy hippys for having rescue animals, probably even think I'm a gold digger as my partner is older (though contrary to popular belief I am the main bread winner)... The point is, who cares? That's their problem. You can't stop people from looking at you however they want to look at you, but you can do yourself a favour and stop judging them in the same way.

freyja, HappyCamper, Plutus and 5 others like this.
  20. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

That is a pity. I quite like it, especially for breakfast with bacon and eggs.
    Maybe, my tastes are more broader than yours.

Please explain.

I didn't say that I didn't like Gen Y's. How did you come to that conclusion?