Moderators not taking action

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by LibGS, 26th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

{mods - posts split from this thread}

Unfortunately Simon, I have little confidence in the mods of PC enforcing rules equally. No point reporting if nothing is done.

Last edited by a moderator: 26th Sep, 2015
    MTR likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I'm sorry you feel that way.

I checked back through the report history to see what you are referring to.

You have made three reports - all complaining about posts that Bayview made in a single thread where you didn't like what he was posting. To be clear - your complaint seemed to be about the topic he was posting on rather than about personal attacks or anything else.

The moderators all agreed that no action was required because Bayview was not breaking any rules (despite assertions by yourself to the contrary) and is entitled to his opinion on the subject.

So, I'm sorry if you feel that we aren't enforcing rules equally, but in this case I am happy with the moderation decisions that were made.

I do take this stuff very seriously and I always give fair consideration to complaints that are made. However at the end of the day, I have to make a judgement call and I do understand if you are disappointed because you don't agree with my decision.

In this case though, I don't think there are reasonable grounds for complaint if it's just a personal gripe you have against someone else that is being reported and the moderators choose to take no action.

Bayview, EN710, bob shovel and 3 others like this.
  3. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Simon these are YOUR rules. BV destroyed the thread and the mods let it go.

Add Value
    • Posts should always be constructive and on topic - they should add value to the discussion or to the community.
    • For common questions, simply telling someone to search is not acceptable.
    • If you disagree with a post and feel the need to reply as such, it’s important that you explain why.
    • Off topic posts or posts which add nothing to the discussion may be moved or deleted as required.

MTR likes this.
  4. Simon Hampel

LibGS - I think you are misunderstanding the point of those rules.

Those rules are specifically there to deal with people who post one line responses like "I agree" or "I don't agree" or other more sarcastic responses without giving detail or explaining why - or largely take the thread off topic (ironically, like most of these posts in this thread :rolleyes: ).

They are not there to try and prevent someone from posting their own opinion on a topic.

It is your opinion that Bayview destroyed the thread. It is our opinion that he is entitled to post his point of view and that no action was required.

He was not making personal attacks on anyone, nor was he off topic. Just because you find his point of view contrary to your own, does not make him guilty of breaking the rules.

Chrispy and D.T. like this.
  5. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree, especially given that I don't have a choice. Given that the "rules" are to open to interpretation, would it be be a good idea to clarify them for people like me who read what is actually written.

6. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

BTW are we talking about the same thread? We were have a rational sensible discussion about the effects of climate change on property investment and BV then came in with his ill informed unscientific opinions on climate change. This added value? This was on topic?

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The rules are pretty straight forward. Going down memory lane bitching and moaning doesn't bring anything to the forum. I'm sick of seeing good threads being filled with nonsense (this thread was semi-ok to derail, it wasn't super serious investing)

8. Simon Hampel

No, the rules aren't open to interpretation - they are my rules and I enforce them.

However, the rules are generally not dichotomous either - many posts are neither clearly acceptable nor clearly unacceptable, but somewhere in the murky grey between the "black and white".

This is where judgement comes into it - as moderators we must make a judgement as to whether a post is unreasonable and requires action - either to modify or remove it - and whether the user should receive an official warning; have their posting rights in that specific thread removed; some private education about what we acceptable; or no further action at all.

I did clarify that rule in my last post.

bob shovel and D.T. like this.
  9. Simon Hampel

"We were have a rational sensible discussion about the effects of climate change on property investment and BV then came in with his ill informed unscientific opinions on climate change."

Someone being wrong on the internet (in your opinion) does not constitute breaking the rules.

miked, itinerantotter and Chrispy like this.
  10. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Simon, that is not the issue here. He can be as wrong as he likes. But that opinion did not suit the thread. It should have been moved elsewhere. I'm disappointed.

11. Simon Hampel

Did not suit the thread? Or did not suit you?

... in your opinion. We disagreed that it was worth taking any action.

If you don't like Bayview's opinions - just put him on ignore, then you can enjoy the rest of the thread without having to put up with him.

Come on - it's just a thread on a discussion forum on the internet. It's not like you've been wronged and need to challenge him to a duel at dawn. Get over it. Move on. Put people on ignore.

Waldo, WattleIdo, Nemo and 6 others like this.
  12. bob shovel

Sim, can you see the number of people that ignore a particular user?

13. Simon Hampel

Not easily. I have no interest in that kind of information anyway.

Bayview likes this.
  14. bob shovel

But wouldn't that flag up nuance users

15. Simon Hampel

I assume you meant "nuisance"? Not necessarily - all it does is flag people that others find annoying or whose views they find distasteful. That doesn't necessarily make them worthy of extra attention from the moderators. I know plenty of annoying people who don't ever break the rules (means I have no excuse to ban them! :mad: :p :D ).

Chrispy and bob shovel like this.
  16. bob shovel

I assume distasteful refers to everybody's pal @datto ;) big fan right here! Keep up the good work datto!

datto, Brian84 and Scott No Mates like this.
  17. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Simon, I feel for you mate. Not only do you run this fantastic forum, you have to deal with this. What a waste of energy.

This is a great forum, and will continue to be so if everyone can just take a deep breath and realise that a conversation on the internet isn't going to change or end the world. Keep calm, have a cup of concrete, and carry on.

Waldo, KMD, MTR and 7 others like this.
  18. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Yes, some people really need to harden.

Biz likes this.
  19. bob shovel

I'm soft and cuddly and will not change for any of you interweb bullies!

20. bob shovel

Are the mods taking any action against climate change!?
    I demand action!
    Let's derail this thread to other areas that require action!

Gibson and Bayview like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.