Technology & Social Media Mobile Telstra vs optus

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ouga, 16th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Hi guys,

Looking at changing my SIM card provider and hesitating between Optus and Telstra. Optus putting in the more compelling offer in terms of price and features. Mostly use in Sydney metro, occasional use for holidays outside the metro area maybe central coast and equivalent.

anyone got feedback on the performance between the 2 telcos?
    i know Telstra is the better choice for regional, but not convinced there is a noticeable different in metro.

Thanks!

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Are you referring to networks or actual retail providers?

From a network perspective - there is almost no difference between Telstra and Optus in metro areas - although YMMV when it comes to location-specific black-spots.

In regional areas there is less of a difference than there used to be - Optus have built out their network pretty well in recent years. I think Telstra still have the edge - but only in the middle of nowhere, smaller regional centres have good coverage with Optus.

From a retail provider perspective - avoid both! There are plenty of smaller resellers who provide much better value for money and significantly better customer service than what the big players offer directly.

I moved our 3 mobile services, plus got my dad and in-laws to move to to Moose Mobile on the Optus network - great value mobile plans and good customer service. There are equivalent good providers on the Telstra network.

thatbum likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I read that Vodafone is now sharing Telstra service in regional areas so there's better vha coverage.

I have poor Optus coverage as I live in a blackspot.

4. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    thanks!
    I was referring to the retail providers sorry!
    I am currently with Amaysim which uses the 4G Optus network.
    I was with Optus for over 10years but the amaysim offer looked much more competitive and appealing. However when actually using it, the quality is nowhere as good. I have a much poorer data connection (3G/ poor signal/having to be near a window), and that’s just in Sydney! Really disappointing as the offer is much more compelling.

now looking at switching back but thought maybe Telstra would be better although the value is not there

5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

How much are you paying? My family of 4 are with Optus. It’s $100/mth total. The reception would be better if the Nimby’s a few streets away didn’t oppose a new tower but I think it will be built eventually. It’s so cheap I’ll just put up with it. We use Telstra for driving across Australia.

6. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member

Best way is to get a prepaid sim of the provider you're keen on and try it out at locations you frequent before signing up to a plan. Or just churn through prepaid ones until you find one the best value for quality.

Optus resellers are more hit and miss in terms of signal and 4G speed. Amaysim was absolutely fine in inner city Sydney but unusable indoors at my parents' 20km away in suburbia. Boost worked well everywhere. Best resource if you want to read before trying out options = Whirlpool Forums

7. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go with either as a retail offering. Stick with the VOMOs and by logic go with the ones that use the Telstra network over the Optus network.

Telstra vs. Boost vs. Belong vs. ALDI Mobile coverage and others

I've bouced around most of them for one reason or another over the years but the best so far as been Aldi/Telstra with thier data roll over.

Last edited: 16th Apr, 2022
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm on Kogan, $120 for 365 days, 130GB. That was plenty for me last year for my level of usage. I've generally found the coverage quite good.

The Y-man, Propin and Scott No Mates like this.
  9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Boost is excellent. Full fat Telstra network but much better pricing.

Momentum likes this.
  10. geoffw

Btw I believe that sellers like Kogan probably only have 4G. It may be that for 5G you would need to go direct to the providers. Anybody who would like to have 5G should ensure that it is available.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Me too. I have had a few issues when traveling (Covid check in etc) but so cheap and it’s all I need.

We pay for my MIL (Moose) and it is cheap and there’s been no issues with it either (she doesn’t use data at all though).

geoffw likes this.
  12. geoffw

Reception issues are likely to be the carrier - which is Vodaphone, so the coverage won't be quite as good as Optus and Telstra.

13. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I'm with Boost which uses the full retail Telstra network. Most MVNOs will use the wholesale network which isn't as fast. Check OzBargain where you'll see a lot of deals posted for prepaid phone plans. After looking at all the options I decided Boost was the best for 140GB over 12mth for $151 ($12.60 for 11.7GB per month), unlimited calls/texts in Australia and same for 20 countries overseas. I thought I'd need 20-30GB data a month but turns out I only use about 4-6GB a month. Avoid Kogan because they price gouged during the pandemic, didn't pay back jobkeeper and sell grey imports as full imports

jaydee and thatbum like this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is correct. I have been with my sons and they were able to check in at the same eatery as me, (or make a call or search something on the internet), and I couldn't do anything.

They are with Telstra.

Another son has had to ditch his Kogan plan (same as mine) because he lives in a particularly bad spot (1km from centre of the city). He has had to switch to a plan that uses Telstra as that is the only way to get good reception in his street.

Because we are retired, I hook into our home plan so the Kogan plan is more than I need, even when we are travelling.

Interesting that I cannot ever get through (call or email) to our blood scientist guy. He said all those who say they cannot get through are with Vodafone.

geoffw likes this.
  15. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I'm actually finding Telstra sydney CBD coverage to be somewhat ordinary. Canberra coverage also for example is worse that it used to be. For holiday destinations, you pretty much need telstra but you ca.n just buy a second prepaid esim when you need it

16. geoffw

I'm withdrawing my endorsement of Kogan. The Vodaphone network leaves a lot to be desired.

I was in rural Victoria.

Firstly in Yackandandah. Ok, a very small town. 1811 people, but no reception.

Then Beechworth. 3800 people, no reception. (I was looking for the mental asylum there - does that make me an asylum seeker?)

And then Gundagai, on the Hume Highway. Population 11,000 - but I couldn't get reception there either. We stayed there overnight - I couldn't use my $25 Dine NSW voucher as I couldn't open it, and I couldn't find a place in town I was looking for with no access to maps.

Being a yearly subscription I can't renew it elsewhere - I might have to get a Telstra second Sim card with low data just to help cover the blind spots.

17. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Don't get Telstra , get Boost - see my post above. I wouldn't give Kogan any money on moral grounds after the way they've acted

18. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

iiNet. The customer service there is next level stuff. Been with them for over 10 years yet every time I call they still find a way to impress me.

Both their internet and phone plans cost a premium compared to their competitors but my god is it worth it.

19. Emmz

Emmz Well-Known Member

I had Optus but too many black spots in sydney. Just switched to iiNet sim only $15 deal.. so far s good!

20. geoffw

iiNet uses the Vodaphone network, so it will have the same problems as Kogan.

Boost appears to use the Telstra network.
    Sorry, I meant to get something which uses the Telstra network.

But apparently there is a difference between full Telstra coverage and the Telstra wholesale network - the latter is a little more restricted, and only Telstra and Boost run on the full Telstra network.
    Telstra vs. Boost vs. Belong vs. ALDI Mobile coverage and others

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice