Millionaires and multimillionaires in the making

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Sackie, 18th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MJS1034

MJS1034 Well-Known Member

Amazing! We have just done the same. Hit the $1mill net worth mark as of our last valuation last week. My partner turned 30 earlier this year I am turning 30 in a weeks time.

We bought our first property in 2015 and I remember checking sold prices for comparables for the first 2 years abd feeling like it barely has moved. We then bought our 2nd prop which is our PPOR in the peak of Covid last year.

Fastrack to today it’s amazing to think how far we have come. Yes we have got lucky and bought at the right time but we also feel like our hard work in researching suburbs and data has paid off.

It’s amazing what time in the market can do!

craigc, DiamondJoe, Beano and 4 others like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

None of that would have happened if you didn't take the initiative, the risks, the sacrifices, the hard work to achieve it.

Some luck indeed. The rest is you .

Travelbug and craigc like this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Congratulations. You've done well.

MJS1034 likes this.
  4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Growth in net wealth tends to accelerate, esp when using property. If you have 1m in net, it's likely you have multiples of that in gross property. IF property prices keep growing, it grows as a % of gross value. It tends to be slow at the start and unbelievable at the back end. This is why its so hard for people to stick to it.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

…..

whatever rocks your boat

I am taking a bet each way. Sell and buy/build

For the investors who have been doing this for a very long time…… well its icing on the cake

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hi @MTR ,

I believe my comment was in reference to investors who bought well before the pandemic and have made great gains already.

I agree with you and I'm currently doing all 3, selling, buying and building .

Bunbury and MTR like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, understand….. my writing skills need to be fine tuned:)

8. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yeah.
    It's just as easy to go from $10k pa to $29k pa as from $1m pa to $2m pa....when you are on the ride it just keeps going up .:p

oracle, Bunbury, Cousinit and 2 others like this.
  9. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

I've always wondered when people think of themselves as a particular net worth, lets say 1m,
    would they only consider this if they only had net assets of 1m or if they owned 1m of assets with their spouse?

A lot of the success stories in the property media seem to often ignore the spouse's contribution and could shave 50% of peoples individual net worth in reality...

WattleIdo and The Y-man like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

AFR's list of Australia's poorest is often family or intergenerational wealth not just individual wealth eg Lang Hancock & Gina Rhinehart, Lowy's, Gandel and the like.

I am no longer surprised by >$10m sales in various suburbs - there were a few on the weekend Roseville & many in the $3-4m range.

datto likes this.
  11. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

I was feeling kind of smug financially three years ago, I had made it, all by myself, working since 15 & investing since I was 22…I had reached all my goals, lived and travelled the world for ten years, post grad degrees, I knew I would always have enough money to do whatever I wanted to do…(well - after I sold my Sydney terrace and had, for the first time, a million cash in my hands!)

Fast forward just a few years, my house in Sydney on the beach has gone from 2.5 to 5,000,000 in three years, and the investment property from 1.4 to 3. Equity over 7 mil.

I honestly don’t know what to do, and still can’t put my kids into top private schools as I won’t see the money until I sell. We don’t want to sell, we love both our home and IP…(luckily this is not an issue as they are both on scholarships!)

we realise we will sell, In a few more years and we’ll have millions we won’t know what to do with….I’m considering using some to set up a scholarship fund & micro loans for women and girls in South Asia.

12. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Great idea to set up a scholarship fund and micro loan scheme.
    Instead of selling can you keep your properties and set up a line of credit to draw out funds?

13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Mine will be individual wealth. Just wait till the Druitt charges one million bucks for a bit of fibro on 560 sq metres lol.

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Won't your 27 dependents & fake IDs have a claim?

datto likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Safe to now say, I was right. Those who were buying would have killed it. :D

skater likes this.
  16. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Mono-millionaires aren't exactly wealthy these days though.

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Many folks holding portfolios a year ago and adding, would have seen a serious jump in net worth today (some more than others depending where theybought). Those who were just starting out would have also seen a big step up in their net worth, depending what they already had and also what they subsequently bought.

wylie and spludgey like this.
  18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nah.... sticking to my formula:

1. Be lazy
    2. Get others to do the work
    3. Take a siesta
    4. Don't get out of bed till after 9am unless you absolutely have to...went to Melbourne and the flight left at midday on a Sunday..

Laziness is next to godliness...well since I am an agnostic....it is the next to wealthiness.:p:D

spludgey likes this.
  19. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

The saying "the first million is the hardest" is certainly true! After that you just need a decent boom for the next one, a medium boom for the thrid one, a small boom for the fourth one, etc.

craigc, wylie, REAddict and 1 other person like this.
  20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Some property owners count their portfolio value which doesnt mean much. A better assessment is net value. ie Market values less debt. This removes the issue when equity loans etc are drawn. And counting your own house can be a issue since selling it at the higher value may mean buying another is equally as costly.

@Jamesesaurus raises a valid point. Divorce etc can see matters quickly change. I had a tax client who was often in media telling eveyone how many properties he owned. Well he owned half what he said. And then those he owned were with others incl his wife. Real wealth is often something people keep very private and you cant pick them.

wylie likes this.