Millionaire next door

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by tomlemke, 28th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

They don't need to know nuthin' ;)

MTR and Gockie like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'll be thinking that if you aren't buying cars, it must go somewhere nice, like ladies, or holidays, or... Property :rolleyes:

Sackie likes this.
  3. 733

733 Well-Known Member

I loved that book

Xenia likes this.
  4. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

I read the book last January and it was the motivation I needed to start my IP journey :)

Xenia likes this.
  5. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I was just over a neighbour's place checking out his new Audi R8. Seriously nice car!

Bran likes this.
  6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I downloaded this book last night. Funnily enough, I'm already living this frugal lifestyle so things are promising for the future. The formula is a little unfair - I'm barely worth 25% of what it predicts I should be. That reflects over a decade of studying I guess.

SerenityNow likes this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Right now I'm on holidays in Melbourne living in expensive motels and eating out 3 times a day plus shopping with my 2 girls (my husband and son don't spend as much on clothes), plus entertainment - going out at least twice a day. This has been an expensive holiday and not by the rules of millionaire next door but we are loving it.

Next week I'll be back at work enjoying making money again.

We love the family time, it's all about choices and what makes you happy.

lowIQ, Rixter, Property Twins and 4 others like this.
  8. Timftr

Timftr Member

Been in our house for about 3 years. The inside had a Reno before we moved in but haven't got around to finishing the outside while we finish other projects and get planning through to develop at the back of the block. The house doesn't look the best from the front, gutters hanging off etc. There is a small deli 3 houses down and a friend of ours was speaking to the deli lady and she thought it was government housing. Me and the Mrs laughed.

Bran likes this.
  9. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    I love diamonds and gold but I've been delaying the purchases because I know the money can be utlised bettery by investing it. Sometimes I go window shopping or online and dream about jewellry but I plan to purchase a few more houses first. Same with cars but I could never see myself blowing money on a brand new luxury car or even a brand new car in general unless my circumstances significantly changed e.g. won the lotto haha.

MTR likes this.
  10. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

I remember reading the book a while ago, but really it over-simplifies.

Personally, I think that the one of the quickest and lowest-risk way to significant wealth is to start with a good job (working for someone else)

It is often predicated on significant study - at least an undergrad for most corporate jobs, mba for some consulting-type stuff, and of course being a doctor/lawyer/accountant takes additional study. Most people like to gloss over the length of time education can take (and not to mention the stress of studying for a medical specialization); sure, you can be a tradie quickly, but not everyone goes that route.

Out of curiosity - do you only do sex-change ops?

MTR and Bran like this.
  11. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Then how come i saw you pull up in that red Porsche at last weeks open house..lol

MTR likes this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It's his wife's car, of course.

Xenia, MTR, Bran and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Maybe at an auction to spook the other buyers. But no. Definitely wasn't me ;)

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Back in the Preschool days, the single mother of two little girls came over for coffee. She lived in a five bedroom house nearby and has the decorum of a bushpig. "It's a lovely house, dear, but when are you getting a better one?"

I attended a local evangelical (holier than thou) church, mainly for the free babysitting and all the chocolate cakes they kept feeding me because I so needed fattening up. The Pastor approached me one day when I was happily working in their garden. Apparently my 15 year old fully paid for luxury imported car was a problem. "If your husband really loved you he'd buy you a better car".

I'll see if I can scan you a pic of that car.

BigKahuna, Xenia and MTR like this.
  15. SerenityNow

:mad:

Comments like this make me so angry. If it's fair to judge how much a husband loves his wife based on the amount of cr*p he buys her, it's probably also fair to judge a wife's love by how much time/effort she spends on beauty treatments, lingerie, cooking, and cleaning. I much prefer to judge a husband's love based on amount of housework he does, and a wife's love based on how often she tells the husband he's lucky to have her.

We-ell, she did start off by saying that it's a lovely house. What more do you want? What is this "decorum" think you speak of? :p

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

That's settled. I'm definitely choosing to show you a photo of my big red car with Hubby doing housework in the foreground. Pity he thinks I'm perfectly capable of installing the new printer all by myself. Maybe you'll see my car tomorrow instead.

Xenia, melbournian and MTR like this.
  17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Here you go. Mark doing some housework.

Attached Files:

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

oh I see born again hypocrites...mmm

Xenia likes this.
  19. SerenityNow

Flashback photos, so cute! :)

Xenia likes this.
  20. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Lol that is too funny.

My business really loves me, it's bought all of my cars.
    My husband's job is just to be a husband.