Millionaire next door

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by tomlemke, 28th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I think that asking the question to this audience gives a difference answer to the general public. We know (if we are not already) that we can build wealth and have a comfortable existence. Those that take notice of other people's things are jealous and envious of what that person is perceived to have.

inertia, SerenityNow and MTR like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yep. Not the same as the average Facebook reader....

Phantom likes this.
  3. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

It was fun when I deliberately used a Xiaomi Redmi (a povo spec$150 phone) when I was there. I was being stared at by randoms...like look at that povo pleb. Their HSBC funded (there are other banks too IIRC with HSBC being the most prevalent) 24 months interest free repayment for used bags/Rolex's etc are an eye opener. I'm like....why? It really missed the point of having luxury goods if you can't genuinely afford it.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

'The Devil Wears Prada ' is the typical scenario - buy into the story/live the lie.

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The best example of this was in Milan Italy...everyone had a Louis Vuitton bag and were dressed to nines....but on the ground people did not have much money. People were very superficial and if did not look the part they looked down on you. Hilarious...to see their expression when you front up in jeans and T-shirt and order a 12 euro drink and nibbles..near the Duomo.

In the end ...I making jokes..."all show but no mooney".....

Last edited: 29th Dec, 2015
  6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

A lot of the world is like this especially the larger cities..hk, dubai, ny, la etc Australian cities are more an exception.
    Its so pronounced in foreign cities like dubai that you really wont be as respected as much if you do not look the part. Im not just talking about getting into bars restaurants etc.. but also in business..eg if you are meeting clients for lunch you cannot rock up in a toyota.first impressions are everything.

pianissimo and alexm like this.
  7. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

True. The Japanese have a saying that I think translates roughly to, "As outside, so inside," ie the opposite of "don't judge a book by its cover".

If you look like a hobo, you won't get much respect anywhere, even in Australia, where I used to look very much the part of a broke student.

In business, especially, you need to "look" successful.

Yet another reason I'm glad I work for myself and don't need to impress anyone, let alone interact with the human beans. On the other hand, I'm now certifiably eccentric.

8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Thank god for Aussie cities.....as for Dubai.....I will give that a miss....was not impressed by HK either...but Paris and London was nice....

Paterson00 likes this.
  9. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I think the big problem is "people" don't really think about it, and consume above their affordability. As has been mentioned, it is probably fair to say that anyone who has found their way to this forum is a little more aware than that, and even if they may occasionally buy the frivolous item, they are probably quite aware of what they can afford and wont be complaining about where their next meal is coming from.

My frivolous purchases tend to be on my mountain bike(s)...

cheers,
    Inertia.

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What I have found is the older you get the less you care what people think, its liberating.

MTR:)

Kashmir, pianissimo, robboat and 5 others like this.
  11. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

You could argue that Australia is no different we just buy houses we can't afford instead of hand bags (we buy the handbags as well, don't get me wrong).

It's a cultural thing, in Australia having the 5x3 with the home theater when you have 2 kids is the same as driving a BMW/Porsche/Mercedes is in Asian cultures (I went to school with several wealthy Asian types who were quite happy to live in a "crappy" house and drive a 7 series compared to the Australian culture of living in a palace and driving a Camry.

Ultimately there is little point in making money if you have no intention to spend it, this forum, as with most things, is a complete anomaly in that an extreme majority would prefer to spend their money to make more money (a cycle you can easily get stuck in and forget to live!), some of my happiest friends are the ones who just travel whenever they can afford (and sometimes when they can't), others are those who own boats (aka where money goes to die), some are the frugal ones.

My feeling is that ultimately what does it matter as long as those people aren't hurting others to have what they enjoy? As with everything in life, people value different things, some people like the luxury cars (pick me!), some people need the latest phone every 6 months (not me!), some love to travel, some need the biggest TV on the market, some like shiny earings, some like handbags, some like watches, some need a new suit every day! Some enjoy the reaction and lifestyle from having none of that (like our friend @Bran with his beloved jalopy!)

As with anything, find that which makes you happy, if that is handbags, so be it!

2FAST4U, oracle, orangestreet and 4 others like this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My dad has chipped front teeth and whatnot... he doesnt care.

My colleague is 33 yo... going back home to India soon... told me she has to spend around 20k on gifts to relatives when she goes home. I'd say stuff them... (because they'll then expect it every time)... small token gift is ok. Nothing more.

She also always gives in to her son and buys him stuff. He didnt like his gift from santa... he said I now want something else ("I changed my mind")... so she goes and exchanges it. If it was a one off, ok. But I think she gives in all the time... she also was looking at buying a fridge, few thousand dollars. The supplier had trouble getting her that model. You'd think it was the biggest issue on the face of the earth... i'm like... I don't care....

Jingo likes this.
  13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Am not rich, nor looking like one.

I have that urge to keep up with the jonesses when I was younger, then realised I don't really like the people I was trying to keep up with anyway. So that's a good bye. Still love quality items. I buy them because I like them, not because they impress others.

Doncossack, CU@THETOP and Jingo like this.
  14. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

It's simple:

Just don't give a **** what other people think.

Do what you want, buy what you want, wear what you want, live where you want* but do it because of its direct impact on your own happiness and wellbeing, not because of the perceived change it may have on the thoughts of other human beings.

* Doesn't matter where any of this is on the spectrum from lavish to frugal.

Doncossack, robboat, MTR and 3 others like this.
  15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Well if I was to comment...I now see why Italy is in the state it is in.....the attitude there pervades everything. A step above the Greeks but not much more. They complain about Chinese made good but if you look at their stuff..the quality is nothing to write home about.

As for Australia....yes...we are more eglitarian..having said that lots of tossers around also.

I agree about a balance...some on this forum are worth millions but act like they haven't got 2 cents to spare. They are product of their environment they will never change..

I agree about each to their own...but in the end you can't take with you...enjoy the spoils along the way....

Jingo likes this.
  16. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Too true!!! I was the same. I still cannot waste money on material "stuff" but I'm going a bit berserk booking holidays since I've retired.:D Cruise deals keep chasing me. We have the next 12 months sorted. Won't be home much. I told the kids they're on their own, better start building their own portfolio.

Oh Yeah!!! Loving it. Love your big feet BTW!!

17. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Society can sometimes be too caught up in what we look like, what we have and own etc..

its who you are that matters most and as long as you are being true to you, nothing else matters
    :)

Jingo likes this.
  18. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

I'm half Swiss.... the majority of people rent and the few fat cats own the majority of properties.. owning a house is like winning the lotto here.

Jingo likes this.
  19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes..I know..I have a Swiss friend...and they mostly rent...

20. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I do enjoy it a little bit, but mostly I like not having to worry about it. I honestly don't care if one day I found it squashed into a cube. It's literally worth nothing, and costs me nothing but fuel and a pittance a year insurance in case I nudge someones mercedes (I barely get above 30km/h the distance/streets I drive).

Adele and wogitalia like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia