Microburbs Data

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by gty12, 11th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I have been having a look at Microburbs (the website) and I can't understand how he creates two particular types of data:
    1. He seems to be able to break data down into smaller than a suburb level, &
    2. He is able to create a public housing percentage (how much public housing there is in the neighbourhood)
    Without simply saying Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) data, does anyone specifically know where he finds either of these two points?

Cheers.

Last edited: 11th Dec, 2018
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The second point could simply be from ownership reporting databases such as Pricefinder/Rpdata. If the owner is listed as the nominated govt dept that handles public housing then that can be totalled for a suburb and a percentage created.

3. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

I have worked out that Question 1 has to do with SA1 level data from the census, but I don't believe the 2016 census commented on public housing. So maybe he is using older school data?

4. Daniel Mumford

Daniel Mumford Member

I use Rp data to look at ownership, for example, I would look up THE STATE OF QUEENSLAND (REPRESENTED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND PUBLIC WORKS) and see what they own and then narrow it down to how many they own in a certain suburb.

You could then look at the total number of dwellings in that suburb and work out the percentage from there.

I did a quick test on Acacia Ridge in Brisbane, I came out with 15% just looking at The state of Queensland owned properties, Microburbs has it at 17%. I know there are other public housing entities so if you took a bit of time I'm sure you could get similar figures.

Hope that helps.

5. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

Righto it does help.
    But to do the search are you going:
    • 'Name Search'
    • 'Last Name:The State of Queensland'
    • etc.

?

6. Daniel Mumford

Daniel Mumford Member

I did it under company search or if you know where a department of housing property is located then you should just be able to click on the owner and it will take you to everything owned under that name/ entity.

From there in the left-hand filter/ refine section you can select each individual suburb. I only have access to QLD so I'm not sure if it is more difficult in other states with ownership details being withheld.

hope that helps a bit more. let me know how you go.

7. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

Cheers=yes it gives me data I believe for WA, QLD & NSW=it always seems like things are simpler in QLD haha

but I need it more for TAS, SA & VIC ironically.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.