Meth testing - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Whiz, 4th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Ironic that your username is whiz

I'm with Qak

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I think they are trying to scam a load of remuneration too.
    Ms Lollyleg's tenant has sent his cousins over to confuse you into paying up.

3. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

Just wanting to be sure we are on the right side of the fence if it does go through legal channels.

4. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

I'm afraid the reference is lost on me....?? Qak?
    Any more hints Redwing?

5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Hi Whiz,

It was a deference to the below

Slang names for Amphetamine
    Speed, fast, up, uppers, louee, goey, whiz.

And agreed with Qak's comment that

6. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

That is ironic! I had no idea...
    ... but you have surprisingly good knowledge of street names for the stuff....;)

And if the tenants are trying to scam early termination... well they've succeeded, as that is what I have offered them.

Good news is that rent is once again up to date.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  7. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

An update:
    Decided to get my own lab report on swabs taken from the 'most contaminated' rooms in the house, and assessed by Queensland health. Lab analysis costs $192 for each report but needed it for peace of mind.
    According to my new report, the house is not contaminated with Meth. In fact, only one swab showed even the slightest trace of Meth, if at all.
    A relief to know that all is in order, even though the tenants had been convinced otherwise by their 'advisor'.

Believe it was the guy with the decontamination business who caused all this ruckus, as he was the one that convinced the tenants that there was a problem.

Anyway, let's hope this testing mania doesn't take off in Oz the way it seems to have done in NZ.

8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Good result, time for a rent increase at next lease renewal I think..

9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

It dosent sound from reading this that there is any legitimate claim.

I would take the approach of being accomodating should there be genuine tests that are positive, your pm did the right thing

However I would not allow them out off leases or offer anything if their claims are not backed by proof.

You can also do your own testing and go down the path of charging tenants for the cost if it is negative. Under causing expenses through false claims. Get this in writing first / we will test it but if it’s nothing you will be charged

jim1964 likes this.
  10. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

I decided to offer them early termination after discussing it with the insurer's rep. If the claim turned out to be genuine, then they needed to have that option.
    Seems the tenants didn't really want to leave, and may have just been genuinely spooked at the prospect of a contaminated house. The PM believed that as they'd genuinely like the house when first leasing, that they were reluctant to leave in this instance.
    However, they were interested in compensation....
    Didn't realise this was an option, though I've often wondered how to combat potentially false claims for other repairs.
    Yes.... my thoughts exactly!

My PM though would prefer that I don't renew the lease. I've got a good PM and I too would be just as happy not to renew the lease, but wonder if it wouldn't be seen as retaliatory.

Xenia likes this.
  11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

These tenants sound like sly troublemakers which would make me very uncomfortable- out out out!

You can chase them for the costs of your testing, particularly as they refused to provide the results of their own, but the drama you'll go through trying to recover $192 probably isn't worth it.

If you trust the PM and they don't want to offer a renewal- I'd be kicking them to the curb! No good PM in their right mind suggests getting rid of a tenant unless they genuinely think it's best that the tenants be given the boot (so much work involved in exit/re-let).

Also, it's not awfully common in Queensland for tenants to take Landlords to court for retaliatory termination. I wouldn't be too worried about this, just go over the response strategy with the PM first and be aware that there will likely be some extra costs from the tenants making life difficult as they leave (i.e. not leaving on time, refusing access for viewings beforehand, poor clean up, etc.).

12. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

Good point Tom...

The PM doesn't feel the tenants are actually 'bad' tenants such that they'll cause trouble when leaving, & I trust the PM's instincts.
    However, 'once bitten, twice shy'. Neither I nor my PM are comfortable with tenants who want to jump to 'legal action' so easily.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Some areas use to have a metho problem :)

14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Thanks for causing me to spurt coffee all over the place !

Ted Varrick and datto like this.