Mentor Wanted

Discussion in 'Development' started by tierney90, 28th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

No such thing as a free lunch. Id be happy to have a casual conversation with u about it and give u some pointers for free but if youre talking in depth help id charge too.

Alternatively come to one of the meetups as has been mentioned but dont expext someone to lay it all out specifically to u va being happy to share general knowledge

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree with sanj to be honest.

There is so much involved with property development its not like just buying an ip.

I just don't think your going to be able to get the amount of knowledge and mentorship (if that's what your after) for completely free. I just dont see that happening or practical imo. This type of in depth knowledge/benefit of experience your just gonna have to pay for, imo.

3. Bitsmisin

Bitsmisin Member

First development I just did it and learnt along the way, triplex in Balga. There is no one person/company that can help with every aspect of the process who will know more about the project than yourself. Most probably took 6 months longer as a result (hence paid $ in the end) so trying the PM route this time. But now I can at least talk the talk.

4. skuzy

skuzy Well-Known Member

still love to know if there's anyone in Sydney whos available to help

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Are you looking for help at no charge? There is so much to go through, the finance, demographics, feasibility, builders, etc etc etc... I don't know any successful investor who would be willing to do that in depth for no charge. Ron Forlee wrote a good book outlining the basic structure of it though.

Capture.PNG

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Alternatively don't you guys have those wonderful meet ups, perhaps you could network with someone who develops.
    If you are prepared to learn from others great, but not everyone will want to hold your hand, lots of time/energy as Leo mentioned and sometimes the best way to learn to get your hands dirty.

MTR:)

cheekykoon and Sackie like this.
  7. skuzy

skuzy Well-Known Member

no definitely not someone to hold my hand lol.. that obviously needs to be paid for

i guess ill try reading around on this forum and post up questions as they come up

cheers

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Why don't you just invest a couple of bucks in some development books. They will outline a heap of information and things to get you thinking. Its gonna take money to make money with development imo. I had to spend 5k on legal council to basically tell me what I had suspected, but I had to do it in order to reduce some risk. IMO somewhere along the development path you will be paying someone for advice/help, and that's not talking about the consultants you'll need for the DA.

9. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

What size development are you thinking of doing ?

10. 3615

3615 New Member

As mentioned - theres so much to learn and its not a 2 or 3 week course. Not even a 4 yr degree will do it. So much more than just the figures and and the fittings..
    It actually changes your family life, your health, your friends etc..
    Its too much of a self-education for a real developer to pass over without the proper care.
    Many online courses or spiels will charge for some basic templates , probably from another book.

I will share the journey experience....for an Armchair developer. With your funds..!!!!
    Contribute to a development and watch it happen.
    20% p.a. return as well...