Melbourne Update: Lockdown Continues :(

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by KateAshmor, 6th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

2. BillyN

BillyN Well-Known Member

I think it made sense when we had un-controlled outbreak. The whole point was to stop people moving and interacting, and travelling outside of their own suburb.

However, it doesn't make sense to keep that degree of restriction in place for potentially 12 weeks, right in the middle of Spring, when COVID new case numbers are steadily falling.

It's an example of a low-risk occupation which needs to be brought back to life after Sunday, in my opinion. Of course, this would mean revisiting the 5km bubble restriction, and possible reasons to travel outside of that for prospective tenants/buyers.

None of what is happening right now has an easy answer or solution.

Lil Skater and MTR like this.
  3. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Area and type has a huge impact, CBD apartments are seeing some massive reductions some well over 25% AND still vacant for months. But some of the outer suburbs it's only $10pw or no reduction. Vacancy is a big factor right now - I think that's more so because of the restrictions and not so much pricing.

When we went to stage 3 interest dropped, it picked up again towards the middle/end June when restrictions lifted and that 2 week period was pretty good with numbers - but then declined again in stage 3 2.0.

Yep, I don't expect it to change either. :(

kierank likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

There was an oversupply of rental apartments prior to covid, this is now the nail in the coffin for these landlords

5. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

It really does depend on the suburb. One area I am keeping my eye on has steady vacancy rates around 0.6%. You could argue they have slightly fallen.

upload_2020-9-7_17-3-58.png

Another area in the outer east has vacancy rates around 1.2%

upload_2020-9-7_17-5-55.png

However, CBD/Southbank/Docklands are not looking so good. And even prior to COVID, the vacancy rates were increasing

upload_2020-9-7_17-7-12.png

MTR likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

How has this impacted on you, your business?

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

@Lil Skater

Ok
    This is the first time I have read the link posted , REIV
    https://reiv.com.au/policy-resource...ns-spurs-moratorium-ban-by-real-estate-agents

Now I understand the real impact

in a nutshell

landlords, extension of rental moratorium, 6 months. Rental agreements will need to be reduced. Landlords have no relief

REIV asking government to allow one on one inspections, without this they can not proceed to lease or sell.

Private inspections are far safer than going to supermarkets

So why is this completely ignored, when the solution is clear and will help this industry move on with no impact. It just makes no sense:(

craigc, skater, wylie and 3 others like this.
  8. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

@MTR it’s crazy, isn’t it?

It’s really hard to navigate and explain. I’ve had to make a lot of very difficult phone calls in the last 6 months, but yesterday was pretty sucky for those with vacant properties because we had all hoped we’d go back to private inspections next week.

Don’t get me started on the moratorium or the convoluted process that now entails. Fortunately I’ve only had one that has needed to be escalated because most people are reasonable, but that one is a mess.

MTR likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I agree that many things that are shut down could continue (lawn mowing, pool maintenance visits, private viewings of real estate, etc), but I guess the problem is that once you give people an inch, many will try to take a mile.

That has been proven over and over with the lies, excuses, blatant rule breaking. We are our own worst enemy (many of us anyway).

Lil Skater and kierank like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

...... yes it sucks, why my blood boils when I hear this stuff, as its ruining people’s ability to make a living and destroying lives

11. BillyN

BillyN Well-Known Member

At present, there are 4 reasons to leave home, and a 5km radius to operate under.

As soon as you open up more customer-facing businesses, you will have people coming up with more and more reasons to leave their homes and interact with others, and to leave their 5km bubble.

I think the real issue is Stage 4 effectively being extended through until late October. If they limited the extension for just the extra 2 weeks, and then lift the 5km bubble and have some re-opening of low-risk activities such as real estate.

This would be a more sensible strategy IMO and allow more businesses to operate sooner.

12. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Dan Andrews has taken a few wrong turns but it has to be remembered the local lockdown was tried by him and failed at the outset of lockdown 2. It is why 'we are where we are'. That didn't really work because it was difficult to enforce and everyone has a reason to do something and to go somewhere. Once people start moving around the city, the inevitable is going to happen - and did.

If local lockdown are to be tried again in future, for them to work it needs active and constructive support by all politicians and business leaders, not just idle and glib talk.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thing is people are losing hope, I think if I owned a business I would be suicidal watching my life go down the drain

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Sep, 2020
    Codie and BillyN like this.
  14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think the main problem with reopening the real estate industry is that it is largely incompatible with what is being asked of everyone else right now - real estate agents and property managers are generally highly mobile and don't only act in their "local area".

As a general comment - the problem with promising an easing of restrictions too early is that once you do, everyone starts to behave like the problem has passed and you're back to square one. Better to maintain a strict lockdown until they are actually better - you can always lift restrictions early.

Either way, it sucks to be in real estate in Victoria right now.

I would hope a little bit of common sense will be allowed - perhaps the REIV can work with the Victorian dept of Health (or whatever they are called) and come up with some strict guidelines for how real estate agents can operate in this environment rather than this current "nothing at all" approach?

marty998, shorty, KateAshmor and 3 others like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

i believe We have to be very careful about the blame game.

why?

because if we look at Victoria .....many deaths were actually contributed by the government

16. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Let’s look at some Australia statistics and some recent economic forecasts:
    1. Bankruptcies are down from around 700 per month in February and March this year to around 400 per month in April, May and June (I assume due to the Government’s moratorium).
    2. Bankruptcies in Australia averaged 670 per month from 1999 until 2020. So, January and February were around average.
    3. The worst month in the last 20 years was February 2012 with 1.123 bankruptcies, nearly double the average.
    4. The best month in the last 20 years was January 1999 with 217 bankruptcies, about half of April, May and June this year.
    5. Bankruptcies are expected to be 710 per month by the end of the September quarter (according to Trading Economics global macro models and analysts expectations), about average.
    6. Bankruptcies in Australia to stand at 600 per month in 12 months time, slightly below average.
    7. In the long-term, the bankruptcies are projected to trend around 590 per month in 2021 and 630 per month in 2022, about half the worst month in the last 20 years.
    Australia Bankruptcies | 1999-2020 Data | 2021-2022 Forecast | Historical | Chart

I am not an economist nor do I have access to any models nor analysts.

I found the above interesting and maybe things will not be as dire as some people think.

marty998 and Codie like this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Government is propping up business’ at the moment with jobkeeper etc

its just far too early to know what the real impact will be on business and economy. However job losses do continue to rise

18. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I would imagine the economists took all of that into account with their modelling.

19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I was under the impression that everywhere other than some little insignificant corner or Australia called Melbourne was pretty much up and running again?

The Y-man

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No idea

Just what @Lil Skater posted will have such an impact on this industry alone, and there are many more