VIC Melbourne Rezoned - ACZs, NEICs, RGZs GRZs etc

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by melbournian, 21st Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I had always wondered if you could get plans for say 5, and build one or two at a time. Id assumed you couldn't as Ive never seen it done.

2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

it would be cheaper to do 5 in a go if they going to have shared walls. but yeah I have seen 2 in the back 2 in the front. this site was opposite my block.

3. EDWARD

EDWARD New Member

4. melbournian

@EDWARD

I think he is looking to keep the apartments as oppose to selling them and I believe his site is in sunshine.

I am looking to do the same in a few years time as well (though not in sunshine)

Iamnumber5 and EDWARD like this.
  5. EDWARD

EDWARD New Member

6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

@melbournian what suburbs are left under 600k now in rgz?

7. saray4

saray4 Well-Known Member

Werribee

Reddy likes this.
  8. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

According to Wyndham city council website Housing and Neighbourhood Character Strategy | Wyndham City there is no more RGZ in Wyndham City council including Werribee. If you check on Planning Maps Online (check for Wyndham) and myWyndham | Connect. Interact. Discover., there is also no more RGZ. I am not sure what they will do with the properties which were bought high due to the proposed RGZ but now are only classified as GRZ with the min garden requirement.

9. saray4

saray4 Well-Known Member

@melbournian - Do you know anything about these changes?

10. hieund85

Council considered a report on the Strategy at its Ordinary Meeting held on 5 December, 2017. Council resolved to:

1. Note the submissions received on the Housing and Neighbourhood Character Strategy
    2. A further report be provided to Council by mid 2018 that:
      1. Updates the Strategy to remove the Residential Growth Zone (and replace it with the General Residential Zone)
      2. Proposes new schedules to the General Residential Zone and Neighbourhood Residential Zone
      3. Updates the Housing analysis component of the Strategy
      4. Includes draft planning scheme documentation to implement the Strategy through a planning scheme amendment
    3. A further report be provided to Council on a draft priority list for preparing structure plans for Wyndham’s activity centres
    More details go to council meeting minutes Agenda of Ordinary Council Meeting - 5 December 2017

saray4 likes this.
  11. melbournian

@saray4 as long as it stays in the planning schemes - that is source of truth - it is not something that can be changed overnight and requires admendment from the planning minister to do so.

besides - I don't think Werribee being an ACZ would be affected . I would think it is more places like H&L - I mean pt cook and the likes of Tarneit, wydham vale were never a RGZ target.

Also - it just states that there are minimal applications for these 4 storey dwellings. however the RGZ does not require compliance to the garden rule.

By the time the council report comes out and needs to be legislated it would be in 2019. anyone worried should start to consider getting some permits.

Reddy, Sackie and saray4 like this.
  12. hieund85

Werribee as ACZ is confirmed, no change. In 2015, the council proposed to have several RGZ near train stations, activity centres and main roads. But according the latest meeting minutes, that proposal is deemed not suitable and hence no more RGZ in Wyndham City area.

The issue is I know some investors purchasing properties in the proposed RGZ in Hoppers/Werribee hoping that once the proposal is fully implemented, they can build many more units/townhouses on their land (it is still classified as GRZ in the title at the time of purchase). Now with the new council decision, there is no more RGZ for their properties. The numbers won't stack up anymore.

13. melbournian

If it was grz on the day it settles then that’s A bit of calculated risk/gamble - tbh so many other places with rgz dun really need to gamble on werribee like that

Hoppers in my opinion was never really a consideration even though it was suggested is not really a rgz area like werribee or Epping for that matter

14. saray4

saray4 Well-Known Member

15. bread_boy

bread_boy Well-Known Member

I believe that is in the lower value section of St Albans (closer to Keilor).
    In saying that, it is reflected in the price and still RGZ so definitely worth a look.

16. hieund85

And the house is run down so may need to either do a big reno or knock it down to build th

17. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

@melbournian for someone starting out, how much cash is needed to buy a lot and develop 6 TH on a RGZ (assuming you can get a loan)? I know it depends on the area however let`s say where the project is profitable. Developing is interesting however you need to have a bit of cash to start, 2/3 down the track I guess is easier.

18. melbournian

didn't you buy in Brisbane or logan before?

19. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Yep, Ipswich. I was just curious about developments.

20. melbournian

took a drone up for some RGZ views (benefit of going higher than other streets)

upload_2018-2-3_20-11-40.png
    upload_2018-2-3_20-12-49.png