[Melbourne] - Renovation of IP before selling dilemma

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by mc123, 3rd Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mc123

mc123 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    I am contemplating my options for an investment property I own that is located 6 km in the north-eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

It is a 2 bedroom / 1 bath, ground floor with carport in a 1970s apartment block of 12.
    Probably a ~7 min walk to the train station and few minutes walk to the shops. Floor area is about 63 sqm with no balcony.
    Have owned it for abit under 4 years now and haven't had any problems with renting out (~5.5% gross rental yield as % of loan). Currently under a 12 month lease but will end in Q1 2018.

If I chose to sell it, I am thinking of vacating the tenants and hiring display furniture to spruice up the property.

The kitchen is a little dated (but completely working), and have been told the curtains and carpet should also be changed.

I would imagine the target demographic are young professionals, people that are single and potentially older people?

My questions that i'm hoping to bounce off you guys are are:

- Should I spend money on the renovation / touching up as per above - will I get a return on renovation money vs un-renovated? What sort of budget without over capitalizing?

- Staging the property will mean kicking out the tenants - I can see the risk if the auction falls through and doesn't sell, i'll have to search for new tenants if I retain the property

- Keeping the tenants without doing any work will be less stressful (secure rental income on a month-to-month, less money spent on staging / renovation), but I feel buyers might perceive it as "just another rental property that hasn't been loved..." and therefore attract less emotional bidding?

Not a forced seller but proceeds will be to put into a PPOR.

Comps in the area suggestion low $5's. They have been done up but are in a less superior location

Thanks.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Photos would help if you have them. How old is the kitchen? What does "dated" actually mean regarding your kitchen?

Losing the tenants Vs making it fresh, updated and more saleable... I'd get everything planned, ready to roll as soon as they vacate and spruce it up.

Easy said, and will depend on how much buffer you have. You would need to be able to go without rent for two to four months (one or two weeks to renovate, four week auction campaign, four week settlement), and if it doesn't sell at auction, maybe another month.

What would three to four months' rent total, and how much extra will you get for a renovated place Vs with the sitting tenant? How much more difficult will it be to sell with a sitting tenant? Much depends on the tenant of course.

Those numbers are crucial to doing your sums. A local agent would be well placed to guide you - not just one agent though, as you don't want one who wants the easiest sale, i.e. leave tenants in if that helps the agency rather than putting the most money in your pocket.

3. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

1. Why are you selling it with old holding it for 4 years?
    2. If you were to sell, who is the target market? That would be your starting point as to whether your should Reno (and to what extent).

4. mc123

mc123 Well-Known Member

Main reason is to use proceeds for other investments / offset on another property.

Target demographic - young professionals?, people on single incomes and potentially older people? It's very much an entry level type property that is in a convenient location with trains.

Thanks wylie - those are good questions. I've uploaded a floor plan and pic of kitchen.. Might actually check out how other kitchens in that block look..

Attached Files:

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Maybe light sand on the blue cupboard doors, and paint white?

Take out the two timber extra cupboards to make it feel more spacious regardless of anything else.

Looks in good condition, but I know photos always make things look better than they really are.

6. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Agree paint white.

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You can wait till the lease is up, change the curtains and carpets. Kitchen looks ok but the blue needs to be taken out.

Omce renovated, you can potentially airbnb it while you try to sell it. Just block off all the Friday nights from the calendar so nobody stays there on those nights. Then once you get an offer you are happy with and the contract goes unconditional, keep airbnbing it till settlement. You want the place furnished for the sale campaign anyway so why not have income while you do it... you will need sheets and towels etc but it's something easily recouped.

8. mc123

mc123 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, thanks for the ideas.
    Cheers