VIC Melbourne northern - north western suburbs for living

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by kanad, 15th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

I want to move close near to the city from outer east to live. Budget around 750k max. Not interested in buying older properties and renovating, want a newish townhouse ready to move in within 15mins walk to trains. Currently considering Oak Park, Pascoe Vale, Pascoe Vale South, Coburg. Any opinion on these areas? Anything to watch out for townhouses constructed since 2015. We are couple without children, so 2br + 2 bath is good but I prefer 3 br.

The other areas my wife suggests are Heidelberg, McLeod, Rosanna up to Watsonia.

2. Kriv

Kriv Well-Known Member

What do you see yourself doing with the home in the next 10 years? Is it a forever home? Future investment? Future sell to upsize? These would/should be influencing factors in your decision.

But if you’re just chasing lifestyle now PV South and Coburg would be better but more expensive than PV and Oak Park and the other suburbs you listed further out. You can also look into selected pockets of Coburg North and Preston as both have trains AND trams and cheaper.

With 750k in any you should be able to get something good, just as always watch out for the quality of the build of the townhouse. In the past five years every other house in these areas has been knocked down to build a block of townhouses with varying quality. I would always look for something that makes yours a bit more desirable or comfortable (first one of the block, street frontage, big courtyard, nice design vs standard, proximity to trains and trams, or to Strathmore Secondary if you go with PVS).

Happy hunting!

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Some would say listen to the wife or you will have a high price to pay later....... :D

The Y-man

codeninja, Tommy123 and Silverson like this.
  4. The Y-man

As with any potential live-in area - walk the streets - during the day, evening, night, weekdays, weeknights (esp friday night), weekends.

Visit the local shops.

See if it fits your lifestyle and culture.

I would say the difference between Coburg (central) and Watsonia is like chalk and cheese.

The Y-man

MikeyBallarat and Kriv like this.
  5. The Y-man

In addition to the above, make sure to test the trains out in peak, and maybe the odd late train.

All of the suburbs listed should be ok, but the closer you get in to the CBD, you may find trains getting excessively crowded.

...and obviously if you are going to be late sometimes, try catching the train at night, sus out the station's night life etc.

The Y-man

6. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Regent
    pocket in Preston/reservoir border, in my opinion best value. You can walk to high street eateries in minutes. Serviced by trains, trams and busses, great primary schools etc.
    Close to the action but super quiet.
    Heidelberg and coburg are also good options as they have good activity centres.
    Best advice/opinion by far is what @The Y-man said, get out to the areas your considering and walk around at different times/days of the week. A ppor is a decision not to be rushed

Khoed792 likes this.
  7. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

Spent the whole day today seeing mostly new townhouses in Pascoe Vale, Oak Park and Coburg area. There seems to be massive boom of townhouses here, plenty already, many new being consutructed as I drove past. But I couldn't find an ideal one where there is one br in ground floor, big kitchen and master br upstairs with ENS & WIR. One passed in at auction.
    There are some on main streets like Bell St and Gaffney St which I didn't inspect , but seems good from the photos. What is the opinion on living on a busy st, even with double glazed windows I think it will be noisy.
    My goal is to live for a long time 10+yrs. I may decide to move to SE Queensland when I grow older.

8. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Should be able to get a unit or slightly older townhouse in Rosanna within walking distance to train, I would aim for within 10mins walk, 15 is too long, on hot days u will be sweating by the time u get to the station.
    1/24 Berrima Road Rosanna Vic 3084 1/24 Berrima Road, Rosanna, Vic 3084
    60A Greville Road Rosanna Vic 3084 60A Greville Road, Rosanna, Vic 3084

9/218 Lower Plenty Road Rosanna Vic 3084 9/218 Lower Plenty Road, Rosanna, Vic 3084
    MacLeod will be cheaper, but still a good suburb, I wouldn't live in Watsonia

9. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Also consider preston

10. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

What hot days in Melbourne?:confused: I am more concerned about rain in winter.

Saw a townhouse which ticks most of the box but 950m from station (have to cross a main rd), passed in auction. Another one ticks less box (no ground floor br and no WIR), but superior build, 550m easy walk from station, more expensive. Another a bit further away (> 2Km) old style townhouse with a beautful front garden and renovated kitchen. These 3 were my picks.
    Waiting for broker to get my pre-approval done.

11. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

I would consider Pascoe vale North, Glenroy and Hadfield if I was in your position. I've lived in Hadfield for the past 4 years and and the area has a lot of established houses at the 720-750K mark with good land size. Area has gentrified a fair bit and has two train lines to choose from.

Last edited: 17th Mar, 2019
  12. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Good luck, where abouts?
    And, yes, Melbourne does get hot

13. The Y-man

Bell St - NO way. Can't even get your car out of the driveway in the narrower sections, and is a big highway elsewhere. Avoid IMHO.

Gaffney - depends on which part. Nowhere near as busy as Bell.

FYI - you get a lot of planes overhead on certain days (with west wind) as Gaffney is main approach line to Tulla.

The Y-man

14. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

Bell St is west of Sydney Rd crossing, less than 10 min walk. This has bamboo flooring, should I avoid?
    Gaffney St near the Coles.

15. The Y-man

IMHO *very* busy sector

The Y-man

16. Khoed792

Khoed792 Member

Not sure if op has bought yet but I looked at those exact surbubs you have mentioned and decided to go with Preston. (West Preston in particular) Regent St area as someone mentioned in this thread. It has everything from school train AND Tram with the famous Preston market

Silverson likes this.