Melbourne median to reach 1 million by 2018?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by ATANG, 27th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Time to buy ;)

3. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

4. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

craigc, ATANG and melbournian like this.
  6. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

o_O

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I looked at Heidelberg West 10 years ago. What a slum. If you had told me development sites would be selling for 1.265 mill 10 years later I would have laughed in your face. I am not sure anyone saw that coming back in 2007.

8. melbournian

it still is go along ramu parade - I think it is even worst that some parts in the low socio economic parts of logan. in 2007 they announced the ACZs though a lot of mainly were paper plannings - so one wondered how long they would take. Now you got guys from Balwyn coming up to bid in auction.

upload_2017-10-13_14-3-51.png

Perthguy likes this.
  9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I'd love to say this will be achieved.....but I don't think it will quite get there...everyone knows I have a soft spot for Melbourne.

But for that to happen...prices in the Outer areas would need to approach Sydney prices. Which means small houses in the outer areas like Werribee..Melton....Pakenham...need to hit a 600k median...I can see getting close .....say low 5s but 6s is a stretch.

The inner markets are slowing...

By guess is that that it (media) will end up in the very high 8s or low 9s for Melbourne. And then it will drop back down to mid 8s for a while.....before the next cycle....

MTR likes this.
  10. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

That "forecast" is already failing. It relied on average quarterly growth of 3% from March until end of next year, which would mean 12.5% annualised growth until end of 2018. Looking at the CoreLogic index, Melbourne has already fallen below 12% annualised, and quarterly growth is 1.99% and slowing.

Classic case of data engineering to produce a desired outcome. The shock and horror that domain would do such a thing...

11. RIBA

RIBA Member

I believe it, Sydney's media house price is $1,151,565. Melbroune is considered great value at low $800's + the market is still booming. I own a buyers agency, most of my customers are investors from Sydney that can't believe how good Melbourne prices are.

Mark Ribarsky

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Oct, 2017
    Perthguy likes this.
  12. melbournian

that is true
    I agree @RIBA

there is value in seeing medians and growth over periods - but solely relying on it will only give false negatives

When Melbourne was booming the likes of Balwyn, Glen Waverly was flying high double digit growth, pt cook was stagnant with next to nothing growth. But the overall growth annualised was up? Each and every suburb have similarities yet are in different cycles or its own

Just like the apartment market in melbourne - there are student apartments, million dollar apartments, service apartments, apartments that are OTP low build and super sized apartments - the product is different for all of them. if you drag and put them all in - what is the point when you basically looking at a different product altogether?

Ringo1 likes this.
  13. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I can see the cheaper suburbs ($400-650k) surging ahead, until there is nothing left under 700k

14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing. As long as immigration stays strong and rates low.

15. melbournian

just look at the maps - end of the day - you gotto know your suburbs - there will be quite a few more entering this map by next year. Question is do you want to own in the suburb that will move there or stand in the sidelines?

upload_2017-10-20_16-21-49.png

upload_2017-10-20_16-21-13.png

upload_2017-10-20_16-21-33.png

Gypsyblood and saray4 like this.
  16. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't complain if any of moved over to the milli club. Don't expect them to this cycle though

17. melbournian

not all but some are moving very close - but will create a separate thread on this one day.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.