Melbourne market - please help with my situation

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by LVRG, 31st Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. LVRG

LVRG Active Member

Hi all, I’m really trying to work out if I buy a PPR at the moment. I’m 31 single and have a budget of circa 1.2-1.5M.

I have an IP in Brisbane plus invest in shares. I like investing and I’m not super set on a location for PPR right now but everyone I speak to pushes me to get one.
    I feel like Melbourne has had a long run, interest rate coverage is very low; I.e. I’m tipping in a fair bit over and above just to own it after all costs. Throughout the pandemic, I felt pretty at ease without being under pressure to act in Melbourne but now I’m wondering..? What is the sentiment on the Melbourne market at the moment? I just fear missing out a bit I guess. I do have strong income capacity so should always be able to have a deposit within 6-12 months if I invest elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You may want to look at this

Melbourne deals

3. LVRG

LVRG Active Member

I did actually! Ha. Thanks for that-they’re actually my areas atm. To be honest, feeling super lost. Would love anyone to suggest me a financial advisor that has experience in residential and commercial property.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Is your only dilemma, will buy if it goes up and wont buy it if goes down?

other things might be do you have a family and want a ppor for stability, school, etc?

5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

If you're feeling lost then go with what you know; where would you want to live? Buy there. You can never go wrong buying something you'd want to live in yourself. If you like it, others will too.

6. LVRG

LVRG Active Member

I’m not lost in the sense of where to buy but more whether I invest now or buy a PPOR. I’m just fearing missing out on the PPOR front. Won’t have kids for at least five years.

7. jaybean

If you're not sure go with the highest potential for growth, then that'll give you more options for when you do decide what you want to do with yourself.

That's what I've done. Everyone says you should start this game with a clear goal in mind. If you don't have a goal, what are you supposed to do, just sit on the sidelines till you figure it out? Make money now, figure it out later, sometimes that's the most people can do when they can't even see beyond the next few years.

bamp likes this.
  8. LVRG

LVRG Active Member

Thank you. To be clear, try my best to buy a cracker IP and come back to the PPOR later? I won’t have an issue raising a deposit again so perhaps that’s good advice?

9. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Will you have trouble borrowing money? Have you spoken to a mortgage broker about borrowing capacity?

10. LVRG

LVRG Active Member

I won’t have trouble at the moment no. From initial conversations with the broker I should be fine to buy an IP and the a year later PPOR or vice versa. I just kind of want a strategy going forward.

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Just don't buy an apartment for $1.5m :D

The Y-man

Mulianto likes this.
  12. jaybean

Yup that's what I would do.

13. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Yes, I would buy an IP now if I am you, in either Brisbane or Perth. And buy PPOR when you’re ready to settle down with kids. Find something you and your husband/wife like. School zone etc.

Meanwhile, just rent wherever you like. Even the 1.5 m apartment:D:D

14. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~