Melbourne CBD Apartments and Dogs (or Cats if that's your thing...)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by magma, 14th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. magma

magma Active Member

Contemplating on becoming a rentvestor by the end of this year but so far, I'm getting road blocks from most REA's as most of them would immediately gruff out on me when I ask about having dogs.

One agent even said pets are not allowed in the building where I live at the moment with my dog.
    She said, in a condescending tone, "it doesn't matter if you own or rent a unit in that building, it's a residential apartment, it's not welcome to animals" I ended the phone call, waste of time and effort...

So to property managers, can you give us a realistic picture iof Melbourne CBD apartments in terms of having pets included in the lease agreement?

I'm particularly eyeing 270 King Street, just the one bedder and will definitely be a long term lease as it is 3 minutes away from work.

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

My building in Melbourne allows pets as long as you notify the BC first.

3. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

you need permission if you are a tenant however if you are an owner you can do so. There has been a few cases where they tried to ban dogs and have failed. Unless the dog is problematic as in constant barking (noise nuisance) then it would be an issue.

4. magma

magma Active Member

Can we then conclude that the agents that I've spoken to skipped the whole due diligence process, assumed, and rejected a potential long term tenant?

Most of the dogs owners that I meet everyday, rent an apartment in the CBD so I was a little bit optimistic. Three days searching now and still getting the red sign after mentioning pets.

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

If you're in NSW I'd tell you to find newer apartment - strata for new ones include pets, so your only hurdle is owner :-\
    Are there similar changes in Melbourne?

6. magma

magma Active Member

Apartment buildings that were built 4-5 years ago are all pet friendly so I guess yeah, there's a trend going.

7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Apartments built within the last 4-5 years are also the size of dog boxes. Appropriate huh?:)

8. magma

magma Active Member

if you can afford it, there are bigger ones with balconies. There's a market for it and there are people who prefer location over size.

9. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

to be honest, it would be hard for any owner to accept a pet especially if the apartment is carpeted. there is obviously the risk of pee and poop on the carpet even if the dog is toilet trained it does happen.

you have to look for one which has floorboards which i think is more acceptable? why rent - you should just buy one and not have an issue to deal with. i had many pets over in my apartment and as long as it is managed properly for no noise etc had no issues. i had 3 sleepover guests over easter

upload_2016-4-15_17-35-20.png

magma and EN710 like this.
  10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

They're so well groomed, are you a groomer? :D

But yes, look for place with floorboard maybe easier. I have carpet currently with some patches... But it's mine so just going to have someone clean it before renting it out in the future

11. magma

magma Active Member

I own the apartment where we're staying at the moment but as I mentioned, my wife and I are planning to be rentvestors by the end of the year hence the thread :)

We actually have 3 dogs at the moment 2 of which we're baby sitting

EN710 likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.