Melbourne Advice

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Mitch15, 6th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mitch15

Mitch15 Active Member

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what people's thoughts on a low density apartments in city fringe suburbs such as the below are?

8/56 Carlisle Street, St Kilda, Vic 3182 - Property Details

I know the influx of cbd apartments will hurt the prices of high rise apartments, but I have read low density & older buildings with lower body corp etc can still perform (ie 2-3 stories)

I have also looked at similar apartments in areas like prahran and toorak (ie cbd fringe suburbs). I think these areas will always attract young professionals who wish to live outside of the city but work in the cbd

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

Mitch

KateAshmor likes this.
  2. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

My folks have had a few like these over the years, they can be great for cash flow if you get them at the right price and usually (touch wood) very low maintenance.

Unlikely to get the capital gains of houses but thats the trade off for higher yield.

Make sure it has low strata fees because these plus a reserve fund will eat away your rent very fast. Watch out for high maintenance common facilities such as a lift or pool, and concrete cancer in the structure.

Mitch15 likes this.
  3. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

Some of these 1br 1960s/70s places will be well under 50 m2 (as low as 35 m2). They are a legacy of the 'flat boom' which sweeped Melbourne 5 - 15km ring.

Some lack their own laundries but if you're able to squeeze a washing machine in the kitchen or bathroom that could be a value-add.

They were then intended for bachelors to live in for a couple of years before they got married (which most did by their mid 20s then) or for older single people.

Check that the small floor area isn't a problem with your lender.

Mitch15 likes this.
  4. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

That one is main road and overnight that is one the roughest, dodgiest, dangerous parts of the area. Any local will tell you that. Low density and low body corp is great, but try go off main road and away from the dodgey parts and go for 2 bedrooms if you can reach that high. You'll attract better tenants and enjoy a better property.

Mitch15 likes this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Have a 1BR in Prahran - the area is undergoing some sort of price depression so IMHO a great time to buy. However, the rent has fallen a bit in recent times (probably due to availability to bright new sparkly things). Make sure whatever you get has a carspot on title.
    $320k is about the going rate in StK East and Pra near Dandy rd, a bit more closer to the railway.

The Y-man

Mitch15 likes this.
  6. Mitch15

Mitch15 Active Member

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

For someone new to property investment like me your advice is great and really appreciated! Hopefully one day I will be knowledgable enough to answer some of your questions!

Do you think somehwere like Malvern would be sound for a similar apartment/flat or is that starting to become too far out from the cbd?

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Malvern is "inner" (basically anything inside PTV Zone 1 is "inner")

Added bonus is that you are closer to Monash Caulfield campus too.

The Y-man

Mitch15 likes this.
  8. Mitch15

Mitch15 Active Member

I never thought of looking at the train line as a boundary, that's a great concept

9. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

Except that (i) in terms of train fares it doesn't matter any more since Zone 1+2 fares (including all the way out to Lara or Melton) now cost the same as Zone 1 only and (ii) it doesn't align with most peoples idea of inner, particuarly in the west. For example Zone 1 goes out as far as Laverton. Whereas 'inner' in many peoples minds would stop not far past Newport or Williamstown.

10. aroe

aroe Active Member

We are also currently looking around St Kilda East and Prahran for an IP.

Our budget is $400-500k.

Trying to stretch for a 2br, and something with parking too.

Flying down to check a few our in a fortnights time... Love the area, but don't know it inside out.

KateAshmor likes this.
  11. Mitch15

Mitch15 Active Member

I would love to get a 2 bedroom but I think it's going to be out of my budget.

I think you're on a winner getting a 2 bedroom, it's a great little hub out there! Lots of young professionals like myself want to live there and I can't see that ever changing!

KateAshmor likes this.
  12. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Will be tricky to find something for that budget. There are some older unrenovated 2 bedroom apartments up to $600K available, including in Elwood, but watch out for OC fees and the condition of the building. The OC AGM minutes in the vendor statement will reveal building issues.

Little Cousin Kate likes this.
  13. Little Cousin Kate

Little Cousin Kate Active Member

Agree with Kate - that budget will price you out of most 2BR units in inner south. 1BR not a bad option though. Take time to look ast Elwood when you come down. Inner city vibe with beach thrown in to enhance outdoor living features

14. aroe

aroe Active Member

Yeah, maybe being a bit optimistic.

Looking at nicer 1br places as being a bit more realistic, they seem to be hovering around the low $400's.