Media Bias and Accuracy

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 11th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

You’ll never read a positive story on business, entrepreneurship or wealth creation.

These topics are the foe of the Guardian's performative victimhood.

The Falcon likes this.
  2. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

The past 2 weeks has really underlined the failure of the media and just how corrosive it is to the glue holding American society together. There's a mass illiteracy at play here, I now doubt a majority of protesters understand what they are or should be protesting about. This is understandable given the most proximate forms of media are too ideologically rigid to allow the space for substantive, honest debate or analysis.

For any meaningful discussion on the factor affecting America right now you need to delve into the 'intellectual dark web'. Sam Harris, Bret and Eric Weinstein, Coleman Hughes etc- these individuals are able to bring shape to the various shades of grey and aren't beholden to a business model that tags them to one side of the political spectrum from which a columnist can only stray so far (if you're trying to comprehend our messy reality through the prism of an ideological ism you're doing it wrong). As specific example listen to Bret Weinstein between 41.50 and 50.40 below.

Eric Weinstein (yes the surmising on the go looks tacky but it doesn't detract on what he has to say)

or Coleman Hughes, an African American writer and opinionated columnist

Unfortunately, as Bret Weinstein points out, the best and most fruitful voices are limited by their gig economy format (podcasts, youtube) but it's now more than ever that we need them on a mainstream interface.

Last edited: 7th Jun, 2020
    Traveller99 likes this.
  3. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I think there is debate to science because:
    A/ It is formulated by humans
    B/ The level of complexity of certain topics means that research is ongoing.
    C/ Some domains of scientific research are corrupted by political and financial forces.
    D/ Many scientific domains are hidden so as to not cause moral or societal outrage.
    The other issue with science, is that while conclusions can indicate a particular outcome, those who wish to report can change contexts, omit or add narratives to suit an agenda.
    An example of how science can be questionable is the CSIRO diet which advocates a high protein diet including red meat consumption. The study was financed by the meat and livestock corporation and while I’m sure you could lose weight following this diet there are other consequences. However according to many other researchers it is the Mediterranean and DASH diets that are considered healthier options with its high emphasis on carbohydrate consumption and low protein and fat consumption.

MTR and TAJ like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Dont have to look too far, who would have thought Lancet, elite medical journal????

Political.... what a disgrace

@shorty
    Lancet, NEJM retract Covid-19 studies that sparked backlash

Ingraham Angle

Last edited: 8th Jun, 2020
    Serveman likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Questions have been raised as to how the study made it through the peer review process to get published in the Lancet.

However, I think that this validates rather than negates the scientific process. Researchers have published their findings, and the published paper is peer reviewed by many other scientists. Where possible, attempts will be made to replicate results. If there are flaws, as was the case here, they will be found. So the results are either proven (or perhaps validated) or disproven - if proved, results can be more strongly relied on.

Angel, Propagate and Lizzie like this.
  6. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

very few major media are unbiased these days

factors of bias are ADVERTISERS , share-holders and the readership targeted .. these days i watch a lot of Russian TV and Sputnik , in a bizarre paradox BOTH try to present both sides of a story (and are directly funded by the Russian Government ) even our ABC doesn't try very hard

about all you can do is use multiple sources and THINK carefully about what you have absorbed

Angel, Phar Lap and MTR like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes agree, double check with other sources

twisted strategies likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I dont understand how this could have possibly been printed without the proper checks.

9. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

short-cuts get taken , sometimes knowingly and sometimes someone not pulling their weight

but 2 withdrawn articles in such a short time will stain their reputation for months maybe years

have seen it in mainstream media .. the race to headlines , print and be damned , sadly this has come to medical journals now as well

am very impressed by those raising questions after publication , nice work all you folks

geoffw likes this.
  10. geoffw

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Please remember that peer reviewing articles is like moderating on Property Chat - it is not paid, and is "voluntary" once you are on the panel. While you discharge your duties to the best of your abilities, some do it better than others, some focus on certain aspects etc.

The Y-man

twisted strategies, Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  12. geoffw

This article, on the peer review process, is a good insight into the process, along with some of the possible flaws
    Peer review has some problems – but the science community is working on it

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sorry but I'm not much on conspiracy theories - and if they're lurking on the "dark web" to air their views, strongly suggests that perhaps their views aren't something that should be aired anywhere. If what they say is plausible, then it would be available on the mainstream web

Charlie Pickering strikes again with her perfect explanation of conspiracy theories:

Last edited: 9th Jun, 2020
    twisted strategies and wylie like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

What refutes science?: Better science

What doesn't refute science?:
    Your feelings
    Your religion
    Your favourite politician
    Your halfbaked opinion after watching two youtube videos

Granted - one should always try and find the funding source if there appears to be a vested interest. The 1990's study that springs to mind is the study paid for by the sugar industry refuting that sugar caused health problems ... How the Sugar Industry Shifted Blame to Fat.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Last edited: 9th Jun, 2020
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Fake science
    Peer Review: The Worst Way to Judge Research, Except for All the Others

17. geoffw

While the process is flawed in one way, it also shows that the checks and balances post publication can be very useful to find flaws which may have been missed initially. This should make one more confident of science, rather than less.

From the third article
    The number of retractions has grown tenfold over the past decade, but they still make up approximately 0.2% of the 1.4m papers published annually in scholarly journals

Propagate and Lizzie like this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The system is flawed, but this article refers to more checks and balances prior to publishing

Let's stop pretending peer review works

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... and they have no qualms about calling it out, when mistakes are found (instead of trying to cover up). This should add confidence

wylie and geoffw like this.
  20. geoffw

One mistake doesn't mean that it's all fake. The mistake was picked up, and the article was retracted. Unlike media outlets where the factual reporting is rated as low because of consistent mistakes which are never corrected.

I know which one of these I'd trust more. (The first two are general media outlets, so are rated on bias as well as accuracy. The last, The Lancet, is only rated on accuracy).
    Screenshot_2020-06-09-11-31-10-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-06-09-11-31-35-70.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-06-09-11-32-20-65.jpg

wylie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.