QLD May the FOMO force be with Brisbane ?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by icic, 5th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Sandgate/Shorncliffe has a nice beach for paddling.

2. Northboy

Northboy Well-Known Member

I'm a train driver in Sydney and recently Metro Trains in Melbourne began advertising for previously qualified train drivers. A number of drivers from Sydney Trains have applied and are preparing to relocate. But interestingly enough, many colleagues I have spoken to have told me that rather than going for the Melbourne job, they are waiting for Brisbane to open up (at the moment QR only employs internal applicants, but it is rumoured this will change soon). The key reason most of them are holding out for Brissy? The weather (and the property prices). No one mentioned anything about cafes!

Angel, gman65, HUGH72 and 4 others like this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

There is nice places to have good coffee Bayside, from Wynnum down to Redlands around Birkdale, the places are fairly new.

Anyway, it will keep you happy if you want to be able to go to a cafe, if you want night clubs, then no idea, think they all go to the valley for that, maybe they even allow drinks till late there :p

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hmmm... I thought there was a huge shortage of train drivers in Brisbane... so much so that the Moreton Bay Rail line was not running to timetables because of the lack of drivers. (They forgot to train people :rolleyes: and the time to train a driver is many months).

Maybe make enquiries yourself?

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Quite true.

But the Union has a strangle hold on the recruitment of drivers, and insists on internal selection from within with subsequent training. Most experienced external applicants seem to get knocked back straight away.

At this stage it looks like the train situation at the time of the commonwealth Games is going to be a joke.
    Marg

6. evalord

evalord Well-Known Member

12 months to be exact:p They had 131 years to prepare for this, what's another 12 months.

7. Marg4000

Just like the cross river rail link.

Oops, forgot to factor in the cost for the extra trains required. Current proposal is for a lovely new rail link - but no trains to actually use it!!!

Then the premier wonders why the PM won't write her a blank cheque to fund it???
    Marg

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

No trains and no train drivers...

9. Marg4000

Well, since there are no extra trains I guess they wont need more drivers!

Next step will be to discover they need more trains.....

Wonder how long before they realise about the drivers??
    Marg

10. Whitecat

I am not sure that is the whole story. I am not trying to take political sides on this matter. I stay neutral. For me that is why it is frustrating as there is nothing ideological about CRR. . The PM could have stepped up for the people of QLD and provided the funds conditionally - or something. Its the most overdue project in Australia. The QLD Govt maintains they have a business case. And even if they didn't, it could have been an opportunity for the PM to take the credit for leadership and getting the job done. I really feel QLD deserved money allocated to that one asap.

11. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Sure it's politics. Nothing new - thy have been asking for funding and getting knocked back by Canberra for a while.
    It's (disguised of course) nothing more than state government being labour and the commonwealth being liberal.
    Would be vice versa if tables were turned as well...would make no difference.

Whitecat likes this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You forgot Stradbroke Island for beaches.

Or was that supposed to be our secret?

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Cafes? Within walking distance to my house or within five minutes drive - in this far-flung god-forsaken suburb with poor public transport - Thai, Indian, Greek, Mexican, Portuguese (franchised), Mediterranean, trendy Australian.............

14. Whitecat

Yes i get that. There's lots of examples of stupid inneficient State vs Fed issues. I'm all for getting rid of state governments