Maxed out with 4 Investment Properties looking for creative stratergies

Discussion in 'Innovative Property Investment Techniques' started by PCAvatar, 21st Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

This doesn't work unless the guarantor has an interest in the property. The banks will, generally, allow an income guarantee from a spouse, but no one else.

If there was a company borrower they could possibly be a director, but generally the company would need to legally own the land.

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    No. to recalibrate. You could sell some of your poorer yielding properties and reduce some debt, then replace them with better yielding properties. There have been any number of other suggestions made to you as well.some safer than others. @Terry_w has suggested you could bring on a co- borrower. That's an idea worth looking at.

Point is, conventional lending isn't available to you as a single borrower based on your current circumstances, according to the "lots" of brokers you have spoken with. But in the end it's your prerogative how you proceed... all I'm saying is that I've been at this a long time and have a $10 Million+ portfolio and 15 + years high level mortgage/lending experience, so this isn't my first rodeo. I have been way ahead of the curve on all these borrowing capacity issues and regulatory changes and have been advocating debt reduction for several years, before anyone thought it was smart or cool or necessary. I've told you that I think the options you originally suggested are risky. Take peoples advice or don't take it....that's up to you.

Marg4000 likes this.
  3. K8F

K8F Well-Known Member

I applaud your “go getter” attitude and creativity, I will be very interested to follow up to see what you decide.

I was really intrigued reading into that one scheme where you buy “bricks” in joint properties.

When you mention your cash flow positive properties that aren’t so great perhaps equity wise, you seem suprised that the banks “must do different calculations” ?

Surely equity is the king, as your positive cash flow position could realistically change quickly if something major went wrong with one of the properties ie the bathroom pipes slowly leak and damage the whole area. ( This happened to me and isn’t necessarily covered by insurance unless a sudden leak)
    There are so many factors that can upset the rent , require extra maintenance or replacement..
    Interest rates alone going up would change your positive position.
    I can understand why the banks are nervous.

Ive been listening to a lot of podcasts lately and many of the good advisors say it’s better to own 4 great properties than have 10+ Average performers.
    Are you chasing the idea of having a huge portfolio too strongly?

I think, as others have said, the majority of the people with large portfolios (that have truly done well- not just a lot of debt) have better incomes/ bought in better growth locations earlier on plus some element of inheritance compared to your position.
    Others with large portfolios may not actually be doing as well as you think, despite having “8 properties” etc.