Martin North went on The Project and told people not to buy property until next year...

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by DrunkSailor, 23rd Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Then don't read em ;)

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have started ignoring them. Trust me, it is bliss.

3. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Ignore this one:

As much as people need to take responsibility for their own decisions, bank make money off the society and have a responsibility towards society. There are vulnerable people out there who don't have enough financial knowledge and banks ripping them off by selling them products that they don't need is the bank's fault.

With all the money banks spend on learning their target market's psychology and then targeting them with slick ad campaigns, policies that trap customers etc are just wrong and ordinary folks don't stand a chance against these massive corporations.

We don't want a nanny state but we don't want to live in a society where big corporations just do anything to make profits. Thankfully we have strong governing bodies in this country that have protected us from any GFC like event.

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Month on Month growth is at 0 per cent. If the trajectory continues it will be negative for August. It seems I'm bang on the money and things are not moving.

Agents are ringing back within five minutes and all seem desperate.

5. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

No doubt but where do you draw the line? Every facet of our lives is manipulated by some form of corruption. Your employer is corrupt, yeah but there corrupt because of the banks, but there corrupt because of the government, but yeah there corrupt because of the UN, but there corrupt because of Trump.....and on and on.

The point is we can cry as much as we want and nothing changes OR you can try and make lemonade from lemons.

Silverson likes this.
  6. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

My employer is not corrupt. Also this defeatist attitude is what makes corruption worse. How would you feel if police extort bribes out of you? that's where corruption goes. I am sure you have travelled to those kind of countries. No one has confidence in anything. And there are countries less corrupt than Australia and they are better off for it.
    Do you engage in corrupt activity albanga?

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Not at all, but I’m also not ignorant.
    But hey if you want to put your energy into tackling bank corruption then be my guest, heck I’ll even sign your online petition. I’m sure a well executed Facebook post shared by a few thousand will have the answers.

8. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Can't do, at first reading em makes me laugh, I often share them with friends and we laugh together at the utter BS they write, and posts don't make sense if you ignore.

val, Angel and DrunkSailor like this.
  9. Perthguy

I guess it makes a difference if you are not being trolled and personally attacked. I haven't had a problem with posts not making sense. The main one I am ignoring makes that little contribution to the forum :p

Barny likes this.
  10. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

He was forecasting the current declines back in December whilst people were saying Sydney would be flat this year then boom again.

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of his ideological beliefs. For me it falls in the 'loserville' category.

12. DrunkSailor

You might be right about that. His viewers seem to be made up of a lot of Andrew Bolt fans. XD

13. Perthguy

I don't know him. For how many months or years has he been predicting declines?

If I say the market will correct every year for 10 years and then it does correct, that doesn't make me a genius.

Lindsay David and Philip Soos were media darlings from 2015 to 2017, spruiking the collapse of the property market and trying to flog books at the same time. After LD predicted the market would collapse by the end of 2017, and it didn't, the media seem to have gone off him.

@Barny is ol' mate still around flogging books?

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Chicken little is either 50% correct and calls himself a guru or .... 50% wrong and in that case just predicts its still coming and will be even worse.

As far back as 1987 when we first bought property I have heard endless tales of it being overvalued and will crash and there will be doom and pestilence.

Perthguy likes this.
  15. DrunkSailor

I did a quick look at his video history and couldn’t find any price fall predictions in the past. He mostly done interviews criticising mortgage stress and just the overall finance system as a whole. This was back in March. He’s become more outspoken as things have gotten worse.

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Started with articles and his book boom to bust written in 2014 I think. Good read, got the bust part wrong but I guess he did well with book sales.

17. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Ignore the productivity commission report too...

Govt pledges more competition as damning banking report released

“There is evidence that they have sustained prices above competitive levels, offered inferior quality products to some groups of customers, subsumed much of the broker industry and taken action that would inhibit the expansion of smaller competitors in some markets,” the report found.

“All are indicators of the use of market power to the detriment of customers.”

18. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Not sure dude, I’ve been to busy adding value to my houses. Today I learn how to spray a roller door with a Wagner airless sprayer

Perthguy likes this.
  19. DrunkSailor

Maybe he learned not to make hard and fast predictions anymore and just interpret what the data points to. He was prefacing every prediction with “subject to change because there’s too many variables which can occur to be 100% certain”. Only recently he started blatantly saying wait until next year to buy. He’s also said he’s not sure it’s a bubble and that he’s forecasting a 20% decline. All seemed pretty reasonable and not doom and gloom attention seeking.

Barny likes this.
  20. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Yep Phillip soos was the first to change his tune and say the market might continue to grow based on 18 year cycle that Phil Anderson believes in.
    Look, I like the info Lindsay shared, but the way he went about it was wrong, calling it a bloodbath. To me that was to sell books, and books he sold. He should now go on public tv and apologise for causing fear and getting it wrong. Or climb a mountain like that other goat

Whitecat, Perthguy and Bender12 like this.