Marriage equality survey results will be released 15th Nov

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gockie, 14th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What annoyed me was the arguments used by the no campaign that had absolutely nothing to do with marriage equality. Just off the top of my head -

. what children will be taught in school
    . the old chestnut of how the bakers and other wedding businesses will cope with their desire not to bake a cake for gay couples (they will use the same methods when they don't want the business of anyone else right now)
    . possibly being forced into having to use unisex toilets
    . possibility same sex couples might *gasp* be able to adopt children... they already can do that, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story :rolleyes:
    . the stories that children of same sex couples are somehow less loved, less capably looked after and less accepted
    . the stories that children need a male and female, mother and father (what about those children brought up by a single mother or father or those "lucky" enough to have a mother and father but are being abused by one or both parents)

So many red herrings, when this is about whether two people can be married. Nothing more. Nothing less.

chi.lam, Ouchmyknees, Lizzie and 8 others like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Same but I won't repeat what I heard or said.

People are blaming the "yes" campaign for pushing people to "no". My counter argument is that tactics, bulling and lies pushed people to "yes".

EN710 likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

How about this. Nationally, only 17 electorates had a "no" majority... 12 of them were in Western Sydney. WTF?

EN710 likes this.
  4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

The Hills districts... no surprise, its the right wing conservative bible belt of Sydney. The other areas, large population of voters whos religious beliefs do not permit homosexuality fullstop.

Not that surprising to be honest. Get out further west to Penrith etc and back to majority yes.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Have a look at the demographics. Christian conservatives, Muslims and immigrants from countries that do not tolerate homosexuality. It is unsurprising they responded "no" to the survey.

Now, since those electorates have said they do not support marriage equality, should their local members now represent those views in parliament and vote against the legislation?

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's good to see that QLD voted in the way they did and the broader way of thinking in Qld these days...

7. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

That in itself isn't a big issue. I am a Catholic who believes in marriage equality. A huge portion of catholics do. Moreso then many other 'christian' groups. It is an issue that holds division even within upper levels of the church heirarchy, and the vatican itself.
    There is also a larger number of 'other' (often more vocal) christian religious groups then there are 'Catholics'.

I do think the extreme conservative religious groups do play a part. But not just christian, other religions as well. And I also think cultural groups and backgrounds play a large roll as well. Migrant families from countries where homosexuality is not just taboo, but often outlawed altogether.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

other religions are very insignificant from a percentage point of view though. don't think they can cause the sweeping change in western sydney. cultures and taboos are playing a larger part here not the religion

9. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I believe so. I'm a big Yes supporter but I also believe the government should reflect the people they represent.

Just like Tony Abbot should be supporting it, the members representing those conservative areas should not. It pains me to say it, perhaps in some ways I'm still a bit of an idealist.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Perthguy

I think I agree with you. Although it makes it more difficult for those who campaigned on marriage equality and were voted in, so they have a mandate to implement it, but now their electorate has voted "no" in the survey, should they follow that? It's pretty complicated.

If someone didn't campaign on marriage equality and their electorate said "no", I suggest they should be voting "no" to the legislation.

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

But what about Bennelong where it was a 50.2% no vote? That's a very minimal majority no....

12. Matthew Savage

Matthew Savage Well-Known Member

As a gay man I'm very relieved to see this result, and to hear that the only bill to be introduced will be the Dean Smith bill - which does not unwind existing protection from discrimination.

I'm thrilled that the YES vote prevailed in each state, so nobody in the senate can say "well my constituents said no". I'm also happy to be living in Brisbane in Griffith - which was the 7th strongest YES district.

I've heard people talking about the narrow result - but a 60/40 split means that MILLIONS more people voted yes than no, and framed another way - there were 50% more yes voters than no voters.

If my partner of 7 years and I do decide to get married, I will need to choose whether to invite my grandmother, who campaigned for the NO vote.

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's just going to perpetuate the hatred and drive further family wedges. If she wants to come and will 'behave' then I would just invite her. Just my opinion.

Jess Peletier, Ed Barton and wylie like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I was/am a yes supporter because there are only two things that would change (imo)

... the wedding industry will boom, seriously, if you're a wedding cake maker wouldn't you be advertising your backside off as "rainbow friendly"

... two people who love each other, and have often been in lengthy relationships, will be able to be married and hence named as "next of kin" in case of emergencies - and significantly - be allowed to be with the person they love if something serious happens.

The reason they needed the vote is to prove to those ultra conservative trouble-mongering pollies - that would have delayed and stalled and argued for the next decade - that the Australian people want this change. Do you really thing Tony Abbott would've shutup, and supported an internal party vote, if the vote hadn't gone ahead and 75% of the people in his electorate hadn't said "yes"? Of course he wouldn't - now he has no choice.

Hopefully the next item of importance that we get a say on will be voluntary euthanasia ... having watched several members of my family die horribly from cancer, motor neurone and massive stroke

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My apologies. You are right- there is in fact a higher support for the Yes vote amongst Catholics than in some other Christian groups. That's perhaps even the more surprising when you consider the number of European migrants are catholic (and orthodox and Muslim) who I suspect have very traditional views.

Although I have heard some support from the clergy for the Yes vote, I've heard a lot more supporting the No vote. It's a pity when the organisation is not in agreement with the "masses". My wife is Catholic, and I have read a lot of material coming from her church. I have a few strongly conservative Catholic friends on Facebook, and some of the most illogical arguments against allowing gay marriage have come from those friends and from the church bulletins. The vocal minority made their voice stand out strongly, and I mistakenly believed that they were speaking out for the majority.

EN710 likes this.
  16. Perthguy

Do you mean like the Federal Government on this issue?

Rugrat likes this.
  17. Matthew Savage

I agree totally with your comments on euthanasia, the marriage vote (whilst I think it was unnecessary) sets a very strong precedent for other so called "moral" questions that the politicians won't touch.

I would happily see $120 million of my tax dollars spent on a plebiscite or vote regarding euthanasia.

Lizzie likes this.
  18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I was referring to the church hierarchy. Many in the government didn't disagree with the proposition, they just didn't have the cojones to vote according to their conscience.

Rugrat likes this.
  19. Matthew Savage

I suppose this is a fairly unique problem faced by gay and lesbian people - inviting someone to a ceremony that they don't support and actively tried to stop.

I guess it would be like if your relative disliked your future spouse so much that they not only stood to object at your wedding, but phoned their friends who you don't even know, and asked them to come to your wedding to also object to your terrible partner.

If my grandmother could look me in the eye and honestly acknowledge that the relationship between my partner and I is as meaningful, important, and significant as her marriage to my late grandfather - then that might be a different story. Short of that, I'd rather have a few extra bottles of champagne on the bar tab - and get married in front of people that support us fully.

Brickbybrick, Lizzie, Rugrat and 2 others like this.
  20. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Yes! This is exactly my thought too. Let’s move onto the next big thing the religious right have been trying to suppress for years. I wish more people were like you.

Brickbybrick and Lizzie like this.