Margin Strategies

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by asw1, 7th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. asw1

asw1 Well-Known Member

Inspired by the table below I've considered investigating margin Strategies. Commsec are currently offering a limited time rate of 4.95% pa. If invest in stocks yielding >4% with 100% franking I should come out ahead, as long as there are no margin calls. Using a low lvr should minimise that risk. Does anybody else use margin Strategies outside property equity drawdown? [​IMG]

Perthguy, Realist35 and Ace Ventura like this.
  2. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

Be wary of the margin call risk and keep your gearing to a sensible and conservative ratio. From the look of the table it's looking like you'll be gearing to a LVR of 50% which would be too high for my sleep at night factor.

asw1 and Excalibur1 like this.
  3. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

I would not recommend going over 20-30%. Especially if you are new to it. If you are trading froma company or trust look into interactive brokers. Their interest is significantly lower.

asw1 and Terry_w like this.
  4. asw1

asw1 Well-Known Member

@KDP @Excalibur1
    I'm currently planning on gearing at about 20%. The table above is a worked example I saw on another website. I previously hadn't considered gearing. I am interested in hearing other people's approaches to using leverage though.

5. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

As with any investment, leverage is great when return is greater than holding cost as it amplified your gains. The converse is also true when total return is less than holding costs (or even negative), your losses are amplified. Over the long run total return for shares do tend to be higher than margin interest rate but there is short term volatility hence the need to be sensible with gearing.

Excalibur1 and asw1 like this.
  6. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

If you are leveraging then you want the interest on loan to be as low as possible, if its not it can eat into your gains very quickly.

asw1 likes this.
  7. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no, property drawdown/loc is my only form of leverage, generally when there is less euphoria and lots of articles/bbq conversations of people loosing X amount on stocks I tend to use 30%

asw1 likes this.
  8. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

I prefer the following. I didn't understand why your "excess tax paid" line meant anything, but added ROI.
    SANF runs from high left to low(er) right :D - the opposite to ROI and nett (well doh!).
    Ignore the negative tax part as what happens there depends somewhat on the rest of your income.
    upload_2017-6-8_17-8-56.png

Now bringing it uptodate and using 37c marginal rate rather than 34.5, the ROI's go down 0.1% overall.
    Earn a motza :rolleyes: and at 45c marginal the ROIs are 5.6% (-0.5%), 7.1% (-0.2%), 2.8% (-0.6%) and 1.4% (-0.6%) - the franking helps a lot less.
    Conversely, at 19c (under 37,000 p.a. income including dividends), the ROI's are 7% (+0.9%),7.6% (+0.3%), 4.3% (+0.9%) and 2.9% (+0.9%) - not surprisingly franking kicks in nicely.
    For me, the sweet spot is more dependent on SANF than the marginal rate :). Gearing against property is better SANF than gearning against a margin loan!

sharon and asw1 like this.
  9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What about a column for those risk takers that double gear - borrow $100,000 from a LOC and $50,000 from a margin loan and borrow $150,000

r3ckless and asw1 like this.
  10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

:D

upload_2017-6-8_16-25-40.png

sharon and pippen like this.
  11. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

You have a higher return with no franking, this is incorrect.

asw1 likes this.
  12. mcarthur

It's correct since at the 37c marginal tax rate the person is not getting tax benefits from franking - they are paying more than 30c so they end up paying extra tax. In the case of 50% LVR, that extra tax is offset by the loan interest deduction so tax is lower with the loan hence ROI is higher.
    It is interesting that even at 19c marginal, the ROI for 50% geared and fully franked doesn't quite catch the unfranked ROI (7% vs 7.6%).

asw1 likes this.
  13. purplecat

purplecat Well-Known Member

Can you add 50k & 100k on top of the investment income & see whether results will be different?

I don't want to think receiving unfranked dividends is better than franked :eek:ps:

asw1 likes this.
  14. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Yeh, you missed the whole 'crediting back' part of franking credits.
    Updated spreadsheet attached below. (along with the franked and unfranked at the various gearing levels as others have requested.)

Apologies, there was an error in my cap growth formula.
    Fixed now and reattached.

Attached Files:

asw1, nofriends, Hodor and 1 other person like this.
  15. mcarthur

Some more excel :)

Taking the same starting point...
    upload_2017-6-9_10-50-51.png

and now extrapolating out to 10 years:

upload_2017-6-9_10-54-50.png

The first box is if the "nett" in each year is reinvested whereas the second box is where it is not. The second box is boring :D.
    The first box is more interesting. The 50% LVR and no franking is almost as good as 100% LVR franked! As I said to Hodor above, this is because the marginal rate is so much higher than the franking. So best on the money-made scale are the 100% LVR (lowest SANF!) and 50% LVR+unfranked. In the middle is 50% & 25% LVR, and least money made is 0% LVR.

Now at 19c marginal:
    upload_2017-6-9_11-11-31.png

Things get better on the franked front with 50% LVR+franking getting closer to unfranked/100% LVR, but 100% franking never really catches the unfranked.

asw1 likes this.
  16. mcarthur

Oh crud... you're right. I'll redo the 10 year figures...

asw1 likes this.
  17. mcarthur

Right, new 10 year returns...

upload_2017-6-9_14-20-36.png

Which is much more sensible thanks @BKRinvesting!
    100% LVR and franked wins, followed by fully franked 50% and 25% LVRs.
    Bringing up the rear is not franked at all, with 0% LVR getting much better at 19c marginal compared to 37c.

So as hoped/expected, margin loaning works best if you can SAN.
    Interestingly, the lower the margin loan interest rate, the worse the benefits at the higher interest rates.

Edited: column names help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: 9th Jun, 2017
    Perthguy and BKRinvesting like this.
  18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

@Simon Hampel

What happened to the resources on Investchat, wasn't there some good articles within the old InvestEd, including one on Margin Loans?

asw1 likes this.
  19. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Interesting how you tried to justify/explain results. Some good lessons for all about fitting our understanding to the data, does the data explain what I think or is there something missing or a mistake? Good to see you worked it out in the end.

It is important to remember that franking has no more or less value to any tax bracket, a dollar in prepaid tax is still a dollar. In most cases it appears (from my anicdotal study of forums) people find it easiest to compare returns if dividends are first grossed up so apples are compared to apples clearly.

Snowball, asw1, KDP and 1 other person like this.
  20. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing,
    Also the old, "if it doesn't seem right, then it might just be worth a second check".

Hodor, asw1 and Perthguy like this.