Managed Funds vs. ETFs vs. SMAs

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by radson, 19th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

@radson, I didn't meant to ignore this question. What I am saying just to address this question is Stock selection will be key, if things doesn't go our way for Tier3 then I've two options either wait for growth believing in stock selection or rethink the stock selection. We started investing
    in shares from Mar 2015. In hindsight one would say downturn commenced around that time. From Mar 2015 till now what we've seen is our portfolio has gone from -6% to +3%. I would be lying if I said i didn't think about selling during the downtime. Lucky thing for me was I kept reading books throughout the year and realized overcoming this fear of selling especially during downtime is key and there is no point of realizing paper loss. We've also realised that we don't need this 50K now or in near future so by selling them in downturn would achieve nothing on the same stage we realized we could take the risk with this 50K and undertake recycle strategy to aim for higher returns. I think if we implement this strategy within 1-2 yrs will realise if this is working or not. Where we feel comfortable is if things don't go our way we have time on our side which can give us enough opportunity to recover....

For your other suggestions, If we implement this strategy as per recycling approach we'll have to look at the DCA approach (full DRP if available) and this is where Stockpot comes in question. can I do this myself yes I can, infact they even list what ETF's they are investing in.
    I've done number of queries for stockpot and do realise that they have yearly fees for it in exchange there is no brokerage fees, automatic dividend/cash reinvested (some ETF do not offer DRP), more time for me to assess tier2/3 shares. Again this is going to come back to numbers, if we realise we are not using stockpot services as much then we can close that account and they will transfer all ETF stocks in my name we don't need to sell.

2. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

@austing , please don't feel that way. You will not offend me, least I can do where I am seeking opinions is listen with open mind. Frankly, that's what I am after as its best way I can figure the right strategy by listening to opposing views and especially experienced ones....:)

One thing, I didn't mention. in Approx terms my current 50K portfolio currently is divided in 60% Tier3, 30% Tier2, 10% Tier1. 30-40% was a random number, we have not decided
    yet we may end up putting $ amount to it as well (e.g. 1K profit) then liquidate. Still working on formula which tells me keeping CGT in mind and transnational costs what should be my exit price for Tier 3, of course company research will play part in that as well.

As long as stock selection goes we are not looking at those charts or forum tips. My partner is mainly focusing on that. She selects the stocks whose business we can understand
    foresee their future survival. also, we learned that buying stock coz is cheap is bad idea, I am stuck in SGH for that :(. Been almost year since started in shares and understood very quickly going against the herd is key and boy isn't that hard....

In case if you know is there any way to buy Insurance bonds without Fin planner. We started looking at Austock Group & IOOF. Any suggestions....

3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Just fill in the forms and leave planner blank. Worked for us with Comminsure insurance bonds for the kids. Tossing up giving them the arse though and using a sub account in our trusts brokerage account and just buy some ETFs / LICs for them.

S0805 likes this.