Main road beautiful home

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by ATANG, 8th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

What bay in Tempe or St Peters?
    Only real body water is south part of Tempe at start of Cooks river. Comparatively low air craft noise there.
    Problem with Tempe/St Peters is really a perception one. Aside from very close to Tempe/Sydenham border there is relatively low plane noise. At Newtown end of St Peters it's very infrequent. Same at Tempe High school end of Tempe (where I live).
    With low volume of traffic I hardly hear planes at all. Some days there are none, it somewhat depends on the wind direction as to which way the planes take off/land.

Some really great houses around me with lower prices than many similar areas, many with much worse plane noise than here.
    Tempe median price increased by nearly 24% over last year according to Corelogic.

2. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

No, l was referring to Drummonyne

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@jins - Drummoyne does cop it's fair share of air traffic, planes are committed to a runway and are in a tight flight path. Not all parts of Drummoyne are treated equally - Sisters Bay on Henley Marine Drive (near Birkenhead and Iron Cove Bridge) would appear to have considerably less aircraft noise than Wrights Road but the maps tell a different story. Linky

This failed to sell.

I'd consider Rodd Point which is out of the flight path.

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2017
    jins13 likes this.
  4. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Personally I would keep looking. We fell in love with the appearance of a house once, and rose tinted glasses stopped us from fully thinking through the downsides. Ended up selling very soon after moving in, causing massive disruption. Just my experience.

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2017
    WattleIdo likes this.
  5. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I was reading about an autopsy once, cadaver was an old lady. The pathologist noted it was obvious she had lived on a main road due to the black deposits on her lungs...

6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Lived there once. Road noise was atrocious. That was 25 years ago!
    :oops:

jins13 likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Different issue if it can be converted to commercial down the track.
    Main road exposure then becomes an asset.

Also depends if there is a parking/bus lane and how heavy the road gets.

eg Doncaster Rd between Springvale Rd and Shoppingtown, mostly 70km/h but divided 6 lane, with dedicated bus lane which can make getting in /out easier. Also, these days the main heavy traffic (truck etc) are carried on the eastern fwy, so it is mainly local traffic anyway,

Same for Mitcham rd between Springvale and Park.

The Y-man

*edit - Not that there are any CalBungs left on Donny road!!

8. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Is it an IP or a place to live?

There are lots of health reasons why living on a main road is a bad idea. There's been quite a few studies done on it. Cancer clusters, lung problems etc..

It's seriously not good for you.

For this reason alone I'd give it a miss. Some things are worth more than money...

9. Scott No Mates

• Asbestos brake pads haven't been available for 20 odd years
    • Lead in petrol has been phased out in the 1980's
    • Risk is probably greater using a mobile phone for hours each day or keeping it in your pocket.
    The only valid health reason that I can think of is that running infront of a car is not beneficial to your health.

10. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

You're right on all fronts...except its still a risk.
    Living near busy roads increases dementia risk, scientists say
    Why living near a road is bad for your health

And then there's the lead that has been deposited 20 years ago but just doesn't go away...

It's probably not as bad as it used to be...but it ain't great either. Especially if you've got children.

11. Scott No Mates

Whether it is proximity to main roads (article says 500 m) or other environmental factors the jury is still out. I know one street where at least 6 residents have dementia, none live on/near main roads, some worked in affilliated industries but others not.

12. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

This ^^^^^

MTR likes this.
  13. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Having lived on Pacific Hwy before (in North Sydney) the dirt/pollution is literally a killer. Every single plant that we tried to grow on the balcony died in short order; we eventually gave up.

We went a step further and got Magnetite secondary glazing so that we could have a 100mm air gap and then 10mm thick acrylic. Blocked noise so well that you could watch trucks go by (doing full compression braking) but not hear them at all.

The downside was that we couldn't open any windows for ventilation, so we suffocated.

Never again.

MTR likes this.
  14. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

You should have a walk around there now! So many homes that's being renovated and build! So many beautiful homes but the number of plans flying over per hour is a bit too much to bare I think. I quite like how they are improving the Bay run.