Main road beautiful home

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by ATANG, 8th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Found a beautiful Californian bungalow home with characters and nice layout, but only issue is.... it's on a main road with 70kmph speed.

Would it a no no for you guys without even considering it?

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, its very much dependent on price, I would expect significant discount 10-20% for secondary location, however when or if you decide to sell you will also need to discount the property.

I personally would not consider buying on main road unless there was an opportunity to develop the land down the track

MTR:)

Sackie and Colin Rice like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Can't say that I've seen anything cheap on New South Head Road.

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I have lived on main road, never again. Like MTR said, when selling discount is likely required.

Bayview likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The dirt from more traffic and noise would be the killer I think

Bayview likes this.
  6. larrylarry

Double glazed windows a must.

Sackie likes this.
  7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Depends on many things.....so maybe.

8. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Check with your broker that it can be financed easily. I hear the lenders are getting a bit stingy on lending on resi properties on main roads due to the fact that they "might" be used/eligible for commercial purposes.

9. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

I've lived on a main road for many years and you get used to the noise after a while. It's things like trying to leave your driveway early in the morning when you're late for work that blows my whistles. Make sure you have a driveway where you don't need to reverse out onto heavy traffic and yes it is dusty from the vehicles. We've got a rental next door and it seems to rent quite well but people will anywhere if it's cheap enough.

MTR likes this.
  10. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

I thought about double glazed but it's a Californian weatherboard home, so I doubt it would do much difference becuz the frame itself is weatherboard which i think is not very sound insulated.

The house itself is about 10 m away from the front gate, which has another 2, 3m distance from the road, so it's not like it's very near, but becuz it's a 70kmph road, the zoom sound is really loud, it's almost like highway. And there's only one living room which is at the front, so I donno if that's going to kill or not... I tried closing the door and yes I could hear cars sound still, but of cuz if u turn on a bit of music then yeah I guess it would get covered?

Not too worried about dust as there's very nicely done landscape and big trees at the front so you don't actually see the main road from the house. There's also a round driveway at the front which allows car to not have to reverse out to main road.

The downside is coming home will need to drive pass the house to a roundabout further away and turn back as there's no right turn at the front of the house...

The good thing that gets me is the interior and the character is just like a dream house, which you would usually pay for millions in good suburbs.

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2017
  11. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

first things first.... main road... in sydney... melbourne? or adelaide... common ;)

12. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Melb :)

dave80 likes this.
  13. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

If it's for a PPoR, and my work was the standard 9-5 hours, and I had to drive a car to work....NO.

After 12 months of trying to drive out in the AM, and trying to drive in in the PM; it'd do your head in.

Poppy likes this.
  14. larrylarry

As others have pointed out, driving out can be a pain and the 70kph... of you have kids think twice. If you rent it down the track it might not appeal to families. But if you don't mind all the above then get it. You'll get used to it.

15. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

A friend's friend was developing in the Liverpool area forgot to factor the additional costs involved in the double glazed windows. Blew his costs right out.

larrylarry likes this.
  16. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Not trying to be silly but personally find that balmain and Leichhardt area to be annoying due to the constant planes flying over.

17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

That's what held most of St Peters and Tempe back. Very attractive prices for being close to the city but poor quality of life with the plane noise....

18. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Really like all those areas but even when I walk/ run around the Bay, just couldn't deal with the constant noise. I think I counted around 15 plans once and was thinking that if I lived in the area, this would really annoy me.

19. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

It may be imminent in any housing estate near an airport. Airports can change their main flight path at any time. When they're landing and taking off above you, you can't even hear yourself think it's that annoying.

20. splatters

splatters Well-Known Member

i lived on a main road in lane cove for 9 months and would never do it again. traffic noise 24/7, too unsafe to let kids even out the front gate due to traffic, couldn't even get out of my driveway if i wanted to leave between 7.30-9am. great house but location killed it for us.

larrylarry likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.