LVR (Capital) required for subdivision

Discussion in 'Development' started by 33904, 22nd Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 33904

33904 Member

Hi all,

I want to find out what is the minimum LVR required to do a subdivision (based on your experience or knowledge)

EXAMPLE ( how much capital do I need to do a build ( 600k land + 400k build 2 townhouse )

I know that you can buy a property up to 95% or 90% LVR but can you build up to 95 or 90?

I would love to hear your opinions

thank you in advance.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It won't matter if you already have owned the property as long as the lvr doesn't drop

33904 likes this.
  3. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Theoretically you can go up to 95% with some lenders however it worries me when clients talk about 95% lending and construction - its a dangerous cocktail.

You need to factor in a bit of fat in case you have variations and you hit construction issues. If this is your first development then its most likely you may be missing some key items from the building contract and you won't pick this up until you come across it midway through construction.

The last thing you want to do is be in the middle of construction with a variation bill and no money to pay for it.

33904 likes this.
  4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I did a small retain and build at 90% cause I wanted to keep as much buffer as possible for the bugger factor that inevitably comes with these projects.

It's possible, LMI premiums will be high and most likely the interest rate as well.

I leverage borrowings to preserve cash buffers.

33904 likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice