Health & Family Losing weight

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lacrim, 27th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Been getting my sleep routine back lately - got prescribed Cicardin. Doesn't knock you out totally (not even close) but once you hit the sack, it makes you drowsy enough to drop.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There's a huge difference between the amount and intensity of physical activity Michael Phelps does compared to the majority of the population, which is why very active people like you can eat like that and not put on weight. I think genetics also plays a big part in how your body processes the food you eat.

There has been some interesting discussion about Chris Hemsworth's diet when he was filming the upcoming Thor: Love and Thunder movie - given his goal was to "live up to the comic book Thor, so he wanted to be the strongest, fittest and healthiest he has ever been".

Luke Zocchi spills the calories on Chris Hemsworth’s superhero diet

We know muscle builders need to eat a LOT. Did Chris only stop eating to lift weights and say his lines on set?
    He would eat roughly every 2 to 3 hours and would hit 6 meals a day while at work. Then he’d head home and get the remainder of his calories by eating a big dinner after a training session.

What’s on the plate in those 6 meals plus 1 big dinner?
    A meal consists of roughly 450 calories with around 30-40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. I’m glad I wasn’t doing all the cooking because each meal is different – Chris wouldn’t eat the same thing every day and I can totally understand why when you’re eating so regularly. For example, sometimes breakfast would be scrambled eggs with vegetables and toast, then the next day it would be steak, salad, and potatoes. When you’re eating steak for breakfast, you know it’s serious!

... Chris’s goal while filming Thor: Love and Thunder was to eat 4000-4500 calories a day

3. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Genetics absolutely makes a difference.

Livestock breeders choose their breeding stock based on which animals gain weight quickest on the same dietary intake.

4. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Genetics for sure - pretty much your design/biological blueprint. I was thin as a stick throughout my 20s and early 30s. Everything went downhill by the time I hit my mid 30s and now early 40s. I ate pretty badly and was a potato couch but looked thin as heck without any fat at all even around the stomach. The opposite is true today despite a much cleaner diet and 40 minutes of intensive exercise a day.

Having said that - growing up in Australia as opposed to my dad and uncles who grew up in Asia without much of the junk food here and where portions are a lot smaller, it made a huge difference as well. My dad at 75 still snacks on junk food here - biscuits, chocs, pastry, you name it...but he nibbles rather than actually eats the whole thing. He still stands at 171cm and 58kgs and has no belly fat.

I guess in order of my weight control/blood control it's genetics, diet, portion control and then exercise.

5. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

1. Try to sleep at the same time
    2. Magnesium before bed
    3. Room temperature cool enough or mattress cooling
    4. No caffeine after midday or not at all

Lacrim likes this.
  6. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

BMI now 26.6 from start point of 33.2 and 19% reduction in body weight. Taken about 4 years so world’s slowest diet:p

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Very well done!

8. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Very good job, consistency always wins in the end.
    You have a very low chance of putting it all back on now unlike those who get on the latest 8 week crash diet of the month who usually put it all back on and then some when they realise it’s unsustainable as they didn’t allow enough time for adaptation to set in.

Sackie, Heinz57, shorty and 1 other person like this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Awesome! I've been at the Unicycling World championships in Grenoble the last 2 weeks. My thoughts.
    1. People in Europe are not overweight because they do a lot of walking or bike riding to go anywhere
    2. Loads of unicyclists are really slim. Doesn't matter their age.
    3. Many Europeans seem to be really skilled in Unicycling.
    4. I am a very mediocre unicyclist compared to so many other riders!!!

Heinz57 likes this.
  10. geoffw

I'm now down 18kg from 5 months ago, with a BMI of 25.8. I still have a little more to go to get out of the overweight range.

I had to go to the doctor about a side effect, one which I was warned about. I have been on blood pressure medication for a number of years, and the doctor told me that I might not need the medication if I lost enough weight - however, I was still on the medication. A week ago, I had been standing for a while and started to feel faint. I had to sit down several times. When I got home, I found that my blood pressure was really quite low. I started monitoring it twice daily, skipping the medication every second day or when the BP started to creep up. I've since had the medication adjusted.

The doctor was quite impressed with my weight loss. They said that they had never seen somebody of my age lose so much.

I have the doctor to thank for starting me off, by telling me that I was technically obese, which shocked me into action.

samiam, Lizzie, Sackie and 8 others like this.
  11. Gockie

Brilliant. Congrats Geoff!!

geoffw likes this.
  12. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

That’s impressive, took me 4 years to lose that much! My GP suggested I work towards moving out of the “obese” BMI into the “overweight”, which I’ve done. Still trying but it’s slow going.

Well done Geoff, lots of beach walks in your new home should help keep it off.

geoffw likes this.
  13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I've lost about 5.5 kilos since the start of April. Now at 71kg. Have plateaued a little bc I get so goddamned hungry around 3-4pm but am determined to reach my goal of 66/67kg. The pace def slows as you approach your minimum weight. Can't trick the body.

Am doing quite a few trips this yr so those will be milestones. 70.5kg by end of Aug, 69.5kg by end of Sept, 68.5 by end of Oct, 67.5 by end of Nov and finally in the 66s in Dec.

14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Geez that's quick. Try not to go too fast. Ideally you should be aiming for a max of 0.5kg per week for sustainable weight loss.

15. Gockie

Btw, how did you do it?

16. Gockie

I don't know how tall you are, but 71kg for a typical guy isn't heavy imo.

Lizzie, paulF and gman65 like this.
  17. geoffw

Man Shakes as a lunch substitute. Cut out toast for breakfast. Cut out snacks and bread completely.

I had a good size main meal for dinner, but cooked with as little oil as possible.

Btw the Man Shake diet recommends two meal replacements a day for 2kg a week weight loss. I thought that was too severe.

Edit. I do now allow myself small snacks, but home made. I have a low fat Greek yoghurt, as well as pickled vegetables and fermented vegetables.

Last edited: 18th Aug, 2022
    inertia, paulF, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

5 foot 10. Yeah I know but aspiring to perfection level standards.

19. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate on those perfection standards ? Is it a BMI to height thing?

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

No its an aesthetic thing.

paulF likes this.