Health & Family Losing weight without counting calories - my experience

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Perthguy, 14th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Today I started feeling like my old self again. I walked home from the train after work. It was a beautiful afternoon and I had a spring in my step. I felt quite optimistic too. It was nice to feel happy, instead of tired and miserable.

Day 5: wrap up.

Breakfast: overnight oats and green tea
    Lunch: curried egg and lettuce sandwich on rye bread
    Afternoon snack: apple, half a punnet of strawberries, half a handful of raw almonds, green tea
    Late afternoon snack: carrot sticks with hommus
    Dinner: mushroom pasta with loads of green veg (beans, peas, broccoli), 1/2 a small glass of apple juice
    Evening snack: vegan raspberry and lemon slice, greek yoghurt

Exercise: 2.6 km of walking in 26 minutes

alertness: moderate to high
    energy: moderate to high
    anxiety: none
    hunger: low to moderate then high around dinner time

No headaches today. I felt really good! :)

MTR likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Great choices

I am currently in US its surprising what you can achieve if you make healthy choices

Deep fried chicken is a stable in the South. I have some favourite places that I frequent that serve delicious healthy food. Aiming to make it all about lifestyle

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Once I get closer to my ideal waist size, I should do the ubiquitous "fat pants" photo showing how much I've lost - although I can't recall if I threw out the biggest stuff already.

Height of 186cm means I'm aiming for 93cm waist size - got quite a bit to go yet. I think I'm finally breaking through my plateau (dammit I miss my dairy!), so looks like I'll be buying smaller pants again soon.

My 8yo son can now touch his fingers behind my back when hugging me!

Perthguy, BNE_Kim and skater like this.
  4. BNE_Kim

BNE_Kim Member

Good on you Perthguy!! :D

Great to hear all these positive life changes, looking forward to getting back on track myself ;)

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Perthguy

You must have had some pretty decent belts.

Pants is a big deal! I have a whole set from so skinny I have never fit into them, all the way to fat pants that are so big they are slightly loose even now. I am looking forward to wearing smaller pants again. The big ones feel like clown pants.

That is so good! :)

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

50" I think I got to - may have been even bigger.

I'm currently in belt no-mans-land ... can't find any decent belts anywhere that fit. I'm too big for the regular sizes still but too small for the Mr Big sizes.

My cheap belt I bought from the local shoe repair place started to wear really badly quite quickly so I won't go there again - but I'm on the last hole anyway and wouldn't want to add more.

Need to lose a few more cm and hopefully get down into the regular belt sizes. Actually, I have a Myer voucher that expires shortly and I haven't been in there in years, so I should go see if they have any decent belts.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Myer could be an option. They have belt sizes in L and XL, so maybe one would suit? They don't look particularly cheap but a good belt that will last usually does cost more.

Myer Online - Belts

8. Perthguy

Do it! You will feel much better, in my experience. :)

9. Perthguy

Something different for lunch today. Typically, on Teriyaki Tofu Tuesday, I would have a normal TT meal, which involves Tofu, some kind of salad or veg and loads of rice. Like this:

20170817_122715.jpg

Today, I still opted for TT, but without the rice. It was really good and I wasn't hungry afterwards, so I didn't need the rice at all.

20170919_120702.jpg

Besides that, it's cheaper with no rice ;) :)

MTR likes this.
  10. Perthguy

Day 6: wrap up.

Lunch: Teriyaki Tofu with Barley tea (minus rice)
    Afternoon snack: 2 small bananas, half a punnet of strawberries, half a handful of raw almonds, green tea
    Dinner: mushroom pasta with loads of green veg (beans, peas, broccoli), 1/2 a small glass of apple juice. Vegan raspberry and lemon slice
    Evening snack: none. too full

Exercise: 2.6 km of walking in 29 minutes

hunger: low to moderate

No headaches today. I am starting to feel like myself again.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Love this book, my religion at the moment... thanks @Simon Hampel \

It works:)

realfood.JPG

Perthguy and Simon Hampel like this.
  12. Perthguy

Day 7: wrap up.

Lunch: Dirty street pie
    Afternoon snack: 2 small bananas, half a punnet of strawberries, half a handful of raw almonds, water
    Dinner: sweet potato, corn and fetta fritter in a salad sandwich + 1/2 a toasted sandwich made with the fritter + cheese. So good! :)

Exercise: 1.6 km of walking in 16 minutes

alertness: moderate

A week over already. I must say I find this very easy. I used to eat like this all the time so slipping back into this lifestyle is like slipping back into a favourite pair of old jeans, very familiar and comfortable.

13. Perthguy

First week down. Mostly easy. Here are my thoughts.

I am finding this very easy because for a few years I lived like this all the time. I have found those old habits very easy to slide back into.

During the week I have made a few tweaks here and there, such as heating my overnight oats for a minute in the morning. It doesn't cook them but I wasn't liking the cold milk at this time of year.

A week ago I wasn't feeling great. I felt tired all the time and felt like I was struggling through mud most of the time.

During the week my alertness and energy levels have picked up, my mood has improved, I am sleeping better and I have a lot more energy. I am also enjoying the food I am eating much more than before. It's been good to get back to what I am used to.

14. Perthguy

Day 8: wrap up.

Lunch: rice, pumpkin curry, potato curry, stir fried cabbage, dahl, sweet and sour soup, cardamon rice pudding.
    Afternoon snack: small bananas, half a punnet of strawberries, 2 Ferrero Rocher.
    Dinner: sweet potato, corn and feta fritter and a fried in a salad sandwich. 1/2 glass of apple juice.

Exercise: 4.2 km of walking in 60 minutes. I felt tired at the end of that. I didn't realise I walked so far!

energy: moderate to high (but low by the end of my walk)
    anxiety: none to moderate

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Your are on a roll.
    I must admit the meals look absolutely delicious.

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Perthguy

Yes, I am enjoying them much more. Loads of veg and salad. It's nice to actually have something to chew. Fast food is quick and easy but it's very soft. Looking back at the pics of what I was eating before, I can't believe I was eating so much junk! No wonder I felt dreadful.

17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I don't think so. Rolls have too many carbs.

MTR and Perthguy like this.
  18. Perthguy

Gotta love a good roll. :)

I'm not particularly interested in low carb anyway. I like rye bread, oats, sweet potato, pasta and lots of things I wouldn't be able to eat if I went low carb.

I feel like I am eating a lot less sugar though. For example, my "breakfast" was a woolies freshly baked chocolate chip muffin and a small hot chocolate. Besides being packed full of sugar and not offering much in terms of beneficial nutrition, about an hour after eating that I would start to feel dreadful. Instead, I am eating overnight oats, made with just oats and milk, and drinking green tea with no milk or sugar. The thing is that an hour after eating that breakfast, I feel good, not dreadful.

Looks like I am lower carb, but not "low carb".

Rolls are fine. :)

MTR likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Big change for me, gone from drinking only 1 glass of water per day to 2-3 litres of water, curves appetite

Perthguy likes this.
  20. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

GI is important here. Most of the carbs you listed aren't high GI. As long as you don't eat buckets of pasta, she'll be right.