Losing job even though construction loan has been approved.

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by GoneFishing, 11th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GoneFishing

GoneFishing Well-Known Member

Hi guys, our construction loan for a two townhouse development is about to be approved for $1.2M, but there a few structural changes happening at work and there is a possibility I will lose my job(I am a high earner). My question is once the loan is approved and I lose my job midway or even worse at the start of construction, can the bank cease the loan and stop making payments to the builder? Assuming I do lose my job, but I can still make the repayments(have a healthy cash balance in bank and my wife works part time), can the bank put a freeze on providing us with money?

Thanks.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

As long as you are making repayments they'd have no reason to stop making payments to the builder. They won't do an employment check after settlement.

Carefully consider your own situation though 'if' you lose your job - you don't want to be getting in over your head.

2FAST4U, qak and MTR like this.
  3. GoneFishing

GoneFishing Well-Known Member

Thanks Jess. Luckily, I have a few IP's that I can sell should things go pear shaped. Rule #1 - Always have a backup plan!

Stoffo, Perthguy and Jess Peletier like this.
  4. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Is your salary being deposited into an account with a different bank? Otherwise they might notice if funds stop coming in.

5. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Never ever heard of this happening and find it extremely unlikely banks would ever check this.

6. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

They do and it does.

Most lenders have random audits on files between FA and settlement.

I had my first approval pulled recently. Big bank hadn't checked their own records well enough and it turned out this client had defaulted on a student credit card 6 years earlier. Found at audit, approval turns to decline.

7. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

No I get that. I was referring to once the loan has settled.

tobe likes this.
  8. Ros

Ros Active Member

Agree with @tobe
    Non disclosure of existing liabilities is a big one too!
    Can pull approval right up until settlement occurs.
    The only difference slightly with this scenario I guess is if it gets to the point where funds are drawn because it’s doubtful any lender would want a partially complete security at any stage.