Looking for inputs for property in North Rocks vs West Pennant Hills

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by wanderer2021, 16th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wanderer2021

wanderer2021 Active Member

Hi All

We are first time buyer in the Sydney market . We started searching 3 weeks back and it is very overwhelming and confusing, specially auctions. I was hoping to get some inputs and helping to decide between these 2 options - one is in West Pennant Hills and other is in North Rocks (with a price guide of 2 million)
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property/7-duncan-pl-north-rocks-nsw-2151

2 Savoy Court, West Pennant Hills NSW 2125 | Domain

I did check the schools are good. North Rocks property is 10 years old whereas West Pennant Hills is about 40+ years old

Really hoping to get some insights

Thank you so much

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

How important is transport to the city for you?

those properties seem very different.

3. wanderer2021

Both of us work in the city - so it would be ideal if we have some mode of public transport within max 10-15 mins walk from home or even closer

4. wanderer2021

Yes agreed the properties are very different. Is North Rocks worth 2 mil plus (2 mil is the auction bidding guide) and the auction was brought forward by a week

5. Trainee

Have you looked at what transport is available? Check where the m2 bus stops are.

6. wanderer2021

Yes I did - with WPH property, it is like a 10 min walk and with North Rocks, if i change 2 buses, it is also like a 10 min walk (hoping we don't go back to working 5 days a week from office, it should be manageable)

7. CheckMate

CheckMate Well-Known Member

Both are very close to M2. Doesn't road noise bother you?
    For that kind of budget I would be looking at Cherrybrook or Castle Hill preferably near the Metro stations. Cherrybrook has a fantastic high school, Castle Hill's also very good. And when the second stage of Metro is ready a ride to the City should be very easy.

Lacrim and Tattler like this.
  8. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

We know these areas intimately, having bought for many buyers over the years so my 2c worth:

Boom happening right now so choose wisely. Don't compromise by buying too close to major freeways (try and sit outside both houses at peak hours and listen to the noise- I would imagine Savoy Crt would particularly be obvious) or purchasing something that in a normal market would be harder to sell.

Keep in mind that these suburbs are both very different (median house prices differ by approx $400K now with WPH being the higher priced one at $1.7m+) North Rocks can be a little isolating, depending on which pockets you buy, and also watch out for bushfire prone zones in both as these can limit building materials and future extension/dvpt plans.

If you can compromise on an older property (or something with good bones) in a better location then I'd consider doing this. WPH, Cherrybrook, Castle Hill, Baulkham Hills all good options and as per previous poster suggestions. Good luck!

wanderer2021 likes this.
  9. wanderer2021

I went to both properties i n peak hour and surprisingly none were noisy..could be because they are not that close to M2.. Savoy court is in a quiet cul de sac corner of a street and is raised. North rocks is 2-3 perpendicular streets from the main road and this being the corner property was pretty quiet. Cherrybrook and Castle Hill have gone crazy expensive (2.1 mil plus)
    We started our search with these suburbs and expanded. I really liked a property in cherrybrook last week that was supposed to go to auction but was sold for 2.4 million before that!

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I’d probably go WPH of the 2 because it’s walking distance to the M2 bus.

11. wanderer2021

Thank you Jacque. So do you mean look for West Pennant Hills followed by Cherrybrook, Castle Hill and then Baulkam Hill?
    We considered the below 2 properties in Baulkam Hills
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-baulkham+hills-135541502
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-baulkham+hills-135702290

The first one is 1.5+ and there is no guide for the second one yet. But the high school rating for first one is 89

12. Spad

Spad Well-Known Member

Both of these properties will sell over $2million or very close to it.

13. Trainee

Whats your price limit, exactly?

do you value the train more than the bus? If this is long term ppor think about when the kids have to go places.

14. wanderer2021

around 2 mil.
    preference is train but near the metro stops, everything is very expensive. So it is either a bus+tmetro or bub+bus combinaton from most places

15. Trainee

For the type of property you seem to be looking for, 2m is a stretch. Would you consider something older if it had the location you wanted?

16. JamesAnderson

JamesAnderson New Member

Never posted but saw this during my work hour.

Mate, Duncan Place is a private Road - i would check that you dont have to pay a fee/strata or something. Not sure if all the infrastructure on the road is public or private either. Id look into it.

Is the maintenance done through council rates or do you have to fork our maintenance on your own by teaming up with all the residents in the street?

That far into the street you wont see much road traffic but there is an entrance to a disability children school in the same street - some traffic during pickup and drop off hours. look into it.

Biggest risk i see is the private road - make sure you do your full research on this

Its one of the more premium streets in North Rocks I think.

You wont hear much of the motorway from that property. There is a an access way at the end of the cul de-sac but it has been fenced off without a gate by Transurban. take a stroll down.

wanderer2021 and Bwinny like this.
  17. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    close to transport. buses 200 metres away on Coonara Avenue and Cherrybrook Metro is 10 minute walk . very close to shops. You would have got this for @ $2 Million a few months ago... now, with all the craziness going on, who knows what someone might pay? You might get lucky, as its a very small lot size for the West Pennant Hills at just 674M2....meaning it may not attract much interest ... although that seems unlikely
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-west+pennant+hills-135748654

18. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
  19. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Hiya

If you are looking at North Rocks Public School and Murray Farm Public, which i half suspect you are? may i suggest Beecroft Public School?

Think a little further down the road..the latter has got good comprehensive high schools:)

wanderer2021 likes this.
  20. wanderer2021

I went and viewed the North Rocks property today and there were so many people who were interested to bid for over 2 million. Older yes but something that does not require much work and is easier to maintain