Looking for advice on cashflow IP areas - I'm thinking QLD?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Timmah, 14th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Timmah

Timmah Well-Known Member

hello guys and gals! As the title says I'm currently in the market looking for a property that has positive cashflow for me. I'm looking to buy and hold for the long term.

I cannot for the life of me find a single property that cash flows positive. I have been looking around the Eastern coast of QLD from Gold Coast right up to Sunshine Coast. If anybody has any advice to throw my way that would be much appreciated! Or if anybody knows of certain areas that I can research into that have high Yields that would also be appreciated :) I'm not so much after the capital gains, just the strong rental yield. Thanks in advance for any information you can share! :)

2. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Can I suggest the Corio/Norlane areas in Victoria. May just be +ve or slightly negative. What good's an IP if it doesn't appreciate in value though?

3. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

What deposit and rental yield are you using for calculations to get positive cashflow?

4. Timmah

Timmah Well-Known Member

That is using technically no deposit because I will use a HELOC to buy the property. So the money will be all borrowed. I am looking to get a 6% yield to be neutral/slightly positive.

5. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

6% net yield ?
    Do you allow for principal payments too?

adam duckworth likes this.
  6. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I think most on here are talking gross yield, but I could be wrong.

Sackie and RetireRich101 like this.
  7. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

6% is achievable you just have to know where to look and how to find the right properties in a particular area. PM me for more info or if you need help.

8. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

If you look further up the coast - say Fraser Coast - I believe 6%+ is still achievable.

9. adam duckworth

adam duckworth Well-Known Member

ive seen a few around marsden/slacks creek areas, also up deception bay areas, this is based on IO payments and is also gross
    have you looked into ipswich?

10. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

A bit hard to get a true CF+ property in metro bris at the moment - when you factor in all holding costs and maintenance estimates you'll be scraping it. There's still a bit of CF+ property in outer Adelaide suburbs and Tassie, otherwise if you go towards a neutral/slightly negative position you can get to outer Melbourne or Perth if you want to take a punt.

11. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

Still finding lots of CF+ properties. Here is an example of one I purchased for a client which just settled recently;

48 Dewar Drive, Loganholme, Qld 4129 - Property Details

Purchase price - $322,000
    'Teething' works needed - $1500
    Rented $410pw
    6.62% Gross Rental Yield
    821sqm corner block

sumterrence and Invest_noob like this.
  12. Corey Batt

What's the net cash flow look like on that purchase after all costs - some quick back of envelope calcs looks around neutral?

13. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

At 12% deposit and 4.5% IO it is $36.99/week ahead not including depreciation which I find balances vacancies/standard maintenance items over a year. This includes all costs including pool maintenance. The value add potential of a 821sqm corner block was also a big consideration with this particular deal

14. Corey Batt

Ah that's probably where our numbers diverge - I used 4.5% IO too - but used the more general rule of full purchase price + costs @ the nominated rate instead of disregarding it, otherwise it doesn't factor in opportunity costs of the deposit funds.

Beano and Rich2011 like this.
  15. Lawrence Barnes

Lawrence Barnes Well-Known Member

Why are you chasing cash flow properties?, capital growth properties are the way to go. A few extra bucks in your pocket each week won't make you wealthy. Plus with positive cash flow you have to pay tax on it as well. So many people get this wrong.

16. Corey Batt

I understand where you're coming from this - but I'd amend it slightly. A lot of people confuse that cash flow = poor capital growth, and therefore that a cash flow negative property will have strong capital growth - this isn't the case. There are cash flow properties with strong capital growth (which generally erodes their CF+ position based on their new values!), and there's plenty of dud negative cash flow properties which won't be going anywhere value wise.

The key is to find good investments which fit your long term needs - generally an increasing equity base is a good way of doing this but not the only way. Some may alternatively want to balance a portfolio with CF+ property with other growth assets in their overall portfolio.

I would say if you're looking at CF+ property, one stat that a lot of people forget to check is what the rental growth rate has been historically and likely to be in the future - there's no point making a couple dollars a week but have the rental growth flat line meaning the cash flow position doesn't increase with time.

17. Lawrence Barnes

I'm glad you agree for the most. Higher cash flow is typically in outer areas with lower capital growth potential. If your smart you can buy a high growth property and get good cash flow from it by renovating it.

Corey Batt likes this.
  18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The thought of an out of state renovation is usually too much for first-time investors. Add the fees for someone else to manage the renovation and pay labourers for tasks which can be counter-productive when you have to pay someone else to do it for you. Maybe next time round.

Toon likes this.
  19. Lawrence Barnes

Fair point for a new investor, but I was not suggesting to renovate straight away. Buy a high growth property now and then look to renovate in a few years time say. You will of course need to afford the expenses to hold the property as always.

20. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

If you are after 6% gross yield I would suggest that is not particularly hard to find in SEQ. My LGA of choice would be Logan but plenty in Ipswich too. Throw a dart at most units or townhouses in these areas and they will exceed this but plenty of freestanding homes too. Lots of suburbs where you can pick up a house for near to $300k renting for $340-350