long time viewer first time poster (Melb, might move to Brissy)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bernie, 13th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Hi all,

As per subject, I have been viewing information on Property Chat for quite sometimes. I found myself needing to create a thread for an issue I have with my IP and thought it would be nice to have a post about myself in the Introductions group first.

A bit about myself, born and raised in HK and came to Melb 20 years ago to study and decided to stay. I have an IP in Melb which used to be my PPOR and my first purchase, built in 2010, low maintenance and with great property manager. I purchased another IP in Brissy a couple of years back. The IP is in Moreton Bay Area, 40years old property updated kitchen dated bathroom and dated laundry, I added a granny flat at rear with dividing fence and the double rental income has created a good cashflow. I plan to keep this long term.

I have been thinking of moving to Brisbane due to weather and less people, but have yet made the move still concerning the job prospect.

Berns

segue likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Bernie. :)

3. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Thank you Wylie, I have been reading lots of really useful comment posted by you.

wylie likes this.
  4. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

May I ask, what industry do you work within?

Welcome.:)

5. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Hey TAJ, I am a data analyst, worked in Sales and Marketing.

TAJ likes this.
  6. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I would stay in Melbourne rather than move to Brisbane. It's the capital of Australia for arts, culture, sports, shopping, festivals, restaurants, cafes, live music, stand up comedy, architecture etc. If you want to move north for nice weather and lifestyle then move to the Gold Coast if you can find work there

7. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Hey Momentum, Gold Coast would have been perfect, but I think it would be harder to get the job I need in GC compare to Brissy. Yes, Melb is lovely, lots of cafes, restaurants, and etc, but we are probably quite boring people and not really into most of these things, so we are probably not giving up too much. We have been to Brisbane quite a number of times and quite like it there.

When I was living in the outer suburb of Melb, I complained being lived too far out from city and etc. Now that I am 20mins away, I don't find myself going out as much as I used to. I spent most of my time on the weekend doing grocery shopping, gardening, walking the dog, cooking and etc.

gman65 likes this.
  8. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

Nice, im actually looking to do the same in that area. Do you find it difficult getting tenants into the GF? Ive been told queenslanders dont like Grannyflats...

9. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

If I were to create a new thread in repair/maintenance, is it better to attach picture as full size or thumbnail or a link? I tried thumbnail and preview and it does not appears to give option to expand to see full size picture?

10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

That was what make Melbourne one of the world's most livable cities :).

Not in 2020 :p.

Momentum likes this.
  11. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

No, it actually quite high demand, we have no problem listing it out at all. It is a 2 bedders and going for $305pw at the moment.

12. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Photos of the GF, I did spent another $2k for dividing fence for a bit more privacy. (testing thumbnail features)
    Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 5.44.57 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 5.45.42 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 5.45.34 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 5.45.29 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 5.45.21 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 5.45.10 pm.png

Edit: clicking on Thumbnails do work open up a new window with enlarged photo

craigc likes this.
  13. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

Great pics, no wonder for the strong demand the granny flat looks amazing!

14. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Will you be transferring your position to Qld, or starting afresh with a new company?
    Probably more opportunity in Brisbane than the GC.

15. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Yes built last year. Property is within 11KMs from Brisbane CBD, and it is probably a little more balance investment for me, where I get good rental income and I can still expect rise of the overall property/land value in long term.

TAJ likes this.
  16. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

I work for SAAS (Software as a service) company, so there are already a lot of people working in a location and report to a manager in a different location. No problem to work in Brisbane office with my manager, just need to get approved by HR. I would be interested in keeping existing position, but work in Brisbane office.

Moving to Brisbane has another benefit for us. If we were to sell the one in Melb (PPOR) and buy one in Brisbane, we can live off a single income).

gman65 and TAJ like this.
  17. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've already made your mind up.
    Good luck with your future venture.

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Aug, 2020
    Bernie likes this.
  18. Bernie

Bernie Active Member

Yes, we are, but obviously not the best time to move at the moment, will see how it goes next year I think. Probably need to sell existing house first...

TAJ likes this.
  19. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

2021 will be here in a few months but not sure if it will matter in this context :)

kierank likes this.