Long time reader, first time poster

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lixas4, 22nd Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Hi, i have been reading pc and ss for a few years. I originally got onto ss when researching subdivisions when studying land surveying at rmit uni. I love this forum, there are so many smart investors/developers and other business members sharing their knowledge/experiences. Some days i read for hours!

I started my working career as an accoutant (cpa), working in large corporates then moved into small tax advisory. But was never truly happy. So i chucked it all in and went back to uni to become a land surveyor. I have been working at a small firm based in mentone (suburb of sth east melbourne) for the last 5.5 years or so. I love surveying. I have chosen not be a business member of pc at this stage. I am studying to become a licensed surveyor, until i am fully licensed i think i will stay a non business member.

I have done a couple of subdivisions over the last few years.

The first was our ppor. 2 lot sub in caulfield east. We kept the lovely old edwardian dwelling which is our house, and subdivided the back half which father in law built his dream house on. Heaps of objections from neighbours, issues with neighbourhood character, height, trees etc. But in the end we got more or less what we wanted at a panel/objectors meeting so pretty stoked and no need for vcat.

The second sub was at my parents place in beaumaris, they had built a two bedroom unit at the rear of their ppor 20 years ago when building at the rear was 'as a right'. Today it definately would not be allowed, issues with parking (only two onsite car spots for a 4 bdr and 2bdr -neither undercover and both in the front setback). This was the main issue, but after a meeting and a few phone calls with bayside city coucil the sub was allowed based on existing conditions.

Now my goal is continuing my license to become a surveyor, while working hard to save to do a 3-4 lot development. Ideally the development would be in around a year or so, depending on the market etc.

Cheers

Gockie, Perthguy and ellejay like this.
  2. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Hey, welcome :) Now that you've jumped in keep posting.

3. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Thanks ellejay!

I will post something in the next day or so about the outlook of the land surveying industry in vic, which i think vic developers may find interesting

ellejay likes this.
  4. Louis XIII

Louis XIII Active Member

Welcome Lixas4, looking forward to your insights in the coming days.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I had 12 objections I think with my Croydon Development but ended up getting it over the line. Key is townplanner IMO otherwise I would have been going to VCAT for sure. Read my thread on this if interested.

MTR:)

Last edited by a moderator: 31st Dec, 2016
  6. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mtr. I have been enjoying reading your croydon and thomastown developments, and also your stuff in atlanta, its very exciting stuff!

Last edited by a moderator: 31st Dec, 2016
    MTR likes this.
  7. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Great post lixas4! May I ask, generally from your experience, what you find to be the most common surveying and subdivision issues/challenges in Melbourne? :)

8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Welcome aboard - sounds like you've been busy!

Cheers

Jamie

9. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Hi Kate, hmmm, a few things spring to mind:
    - the first would be time. Subdivision administration doesnt happen very quickly and can take longer then expected/wanted. Especially the telecommunications/fibre requirements. This is the first thing we advise clients to action. Sometimes this requirement alone can take over 6 months.
    - covenants/easements on title that client wasnt aware of, ie single dwelling covenant
    - choosing lowest cost/discount surveyors, can lead to lower service or hidden costs later down the road. Its very hard to compare quotes from different surveyors for joe blogs, my advice is to use the surveyor your architect/drafty recommends, or at a min get them to look at the surveyors quotes to make sure everything they need is included.
    - i have also written a post on the loss of experienced licensed surveyors that will occur over the next 5 years. And another one on the importance of getting a title re-establishment survey completed before getting development approval

Does this answer your question or are there any specific areas your interested in?

KateAshmor likes this.
  10. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Thanks Jamie!