Logan Rates (increase)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Greyghost, 13th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

So I received a letter from Logan council for each of my 3 properties in the region.
    They have increased the rates across the board to $217,500 (land value)..
    I find it amusing that 1 of my properties is 568sqm, and another 814sqm, yet the assessed land value is the same.
    For those who have larger blocks it is a win, but for those with smaller blocks...
    From $175K to $215K is a bit rich in my book..
    I am sure they won't be as keen to decrease the land value next year when the market softens...

2. Broncsfan

Broncsfan Well-Known Member

I think you will find it's irrelevant for the purposes of calculating your rates

The minimum rateable value in logan is $231,260 or $216,047 and that is the "floor" for calculating fixed rate component

Most land values in logan would be below that

Last edited: 13th Mar, 2019
    Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

A number of mine have gone up dramatically, but weirdly- quite a few haven't gone up at all, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. One in Woodridge went up 35%!!!!!!

4. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

One of mine is $182.5k -> $210k which is 15% over two years, so not too unreasonable. A bigger issue is how it impacts land tax and whether it pushes investors over the threshold.

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Mine went up by 32% and 17% - both around 50k up each. It’s a huge jump for the lower end property one

Tom Rivera likes this.
  6. JQ88

JQ88 Well-Known Member

The problem with QLD land valuation is almost market value (land + improvement). In NSW it is much lower than market value so it feels it’s just land value not including improvement
    The QLD threshold haven’t changed for a very long tim

7. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Yes but if you have a couple of properties anywhere in Qld you will hit the threshold pretty quickly with rises like that and no change to the threshold. It’s a cumulative state based tax.

- Andrew

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Welcome to the new way, we will find a way too screw you, oh, and in QLD, we will screw you more cause your an investor...

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

And then you have some resident forum knuckleheads who think this means th eplace they have is worth more on the free market.....let us all pray for the highest rates possible.....sigh

Tom Rivera likes this.
  10. Broncsfan

Broncsfan Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew

Isn't the minimum rateable value per property?

I.e. rates will increase by either the minimum threshold increasing or the land value increasing (if the particular property has land value > the threshold)

This investors property values were below what I understand to be the per property threshold so his increase would have been due to the minimum rateable value increasing

Not sure what that had increased by

11. YoungBull

YoungBull Well-Known Member

Once over the threshold, tax is payable which will be me this year. As an investor though, is some of this tax deductible as someone told me yesterday? I thought this might not be the case being a tax itself?
    On another note my logan land went up according to the new rate, but I know the market is flat so in reality it’s not the case if I was to sell. I’m still positive though once the sediment changes and the doom and gloom talk is done with we will see some nice 4-5% growth in that market in the coming years to compliment the yield.

12. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I’m talking about a state based land tax threshold, not rates. Land tax is payable once you own an accumulated land value that exceeds the threshold in the given state. In Qld the threshold is $600,000 so once your accumulated land value goes beyond that (either via single or multiple properties), you are liable for land tax calculated in a similar fashion to how income tax is calculated.

See link below for more information.

Rates for individuals | Environment, land and water | Queensland Government

- Andrew

13. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how much is the Logan city council rates roughly for an average 600sqm land that values to ~$220K? Thanks.

14. Sydlad

Sydlad Well-Known Member

FYI Logan rates include water infrastructure charges vs some councils where they are separated

The total of those two components is around $750 a qtr

Water usage then goes on top of that and can be on-charged to the tenant

Samj, Michael Mitchell and momentum26 like this.