QLD Logan City Council to curtail property loophole - Granny Flats

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Rich2011, 19th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Likely to apply at Plan Sealing when all is complete.

2. Joseph33

Joseph33 Well-Known Member

Sorry could you clarify plan sealing? I'm from Sydney. I'm assuming that's some sort of final approval/inspection like a form 21?

3. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

I wasnt aware that plans were sealed by LCC for auxiliary units

Currently infrastructure is being invoiced when plumbing and drainage compliance certificates are being issued so good chance thats when payment would be required. Atleast thats what's occuring with dual occs in LCC
    Also the infrastructure on that is less than 23k.

4. Katie767575

Katie767575 Member

So it’s going to cost $23.000 in permits to build a granny flat on a house over 700 sqm I have called logan council but they never got back to me will call again today.

radioactive, Tom Rivera and Whitecat like this.
  5. HapppyChat

HapppyChat Well-Known Member

Katie I would be interested in how your call went. It appears from other posts the infrastructure fee will be implement from July 1st 2018, while the planning restrictions of a minimum 700sqm block and 18m frontage may take some more time to be changed.

6. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Population will take care of that. Once upon a time suburbs full of terrace houses (instead of detached) were probably less desirable.

mickyyyy likes this.
  7. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

I see the granny flats as a good way to intensify land use to create accommodation. And probably better than the heavier single battle-axe subdivision. So a backward step by Council.

Rich2011 and Tom Rivera like this.
  8. HapppyChat

HapppyChat Well-Known Member

From the Logan council website for those looking to build next year.

9. Sea Eagles88

Sea Eagles88 Well-Known Member

Would it be wise to lodge an application and get it to the decision stage before 1 July 2018 if I have intention of building granny flat (I want to build after 1 July 2018) ? and how long does the DA last before it expires ?

Tom Rivera likes this.
  10. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely. I believe it lasts for 6 years under The Planning Act 2016.

Invest_noob likes this.
  11. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I have a 700sqm Logan block with only 12m frontage (end of a cul-de-sac) and I just got off the phone with a granny flat builder who tells me Logan council already will not approve these given their changes are inevitable. Has this been anyone else's experience? It would be a shame as the site lends quite well to a granny flat.

12. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

I spoke to a town planner who looked into it for me. I have a 620sqm block and he came back saying they won't approve it unless there's a really good reason to to make an exemption.

13. Mel Morgan

I have put in a message with Logan council to see what their planners say. I found this fact sheet on their website which was specifically updated this month, but does not mention the minimum size or frontage:
    http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/322296/Fact-Sheet-Domestic-Housing.pdf
    Now that I've decided I want a granny flat - I don't want to give up without a fight!

14. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

Not really looking to build now as I don't see the demand there but I was just looking to get the DA now when it may still be possible so that if I decide to sell in future, it will bump up the value. Good luck, let us know how you go.

15. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It's interesting that you're having problems getting a granny flat approved, because "Dual-Occupancy" properties, which exist under the same auxiliary dwelling rules, are self-assessable. Council doesn't have an option to refuse them.

16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised....after all that hoo haa about GF in Logan (nuts in my opinion you will never get your money back)....

Next step will be to limit cheap T/H and Villa developments.....away from major infrastructure....

Lesson number one ....never buy a property with potential for development down the track buy what it can do today by a country mile....that could change anytime. Lots of people with little development experience are jumping in....unlike parts Sydney and Melbourne...parts of Brisbane it does not make sense to develop....too much supply.

Invest_noob likes this.
  17. Mel Morgan

The GF still makes sense to me, because the backyard is sitting there, I have the equity but not the serviceability to buy more. Its a supply/demand equation and there are people willing to rent them at 10% yield. In 10 years time the GF has earned back what its cost (and hopefully still be standing) and in the meanwhile I have increased my serviceability by boosting my income?

Blueskies and Invest_noob like this.
  18. Sea Eagles88

Sea Eagles88 Well-Known Member

does the number really stack up ? how much is it going to cost to build the GF ? 140K ? and how much rent you will get ? $300 per week ?

you can buy 2 bedroom unit (maybe 20 years old) in the area for 180K with $270 pw rent

19. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Depends, can you buy another property before the 10 years is up, that is what should give you the better growth over time?

20. Mel Morgan

I welcome the discussion, so thanks for putting forward your thoughts.

Lets say $140k to build the GF and $280pw to rent out. The will be depreciation and minimal maintenance plus no additional rates or strata fees compared to buying an older unit. (and having owned this house more than a decade, the capital growth has been extremely limited last 8 years or so).

I suppose the question is, is there better use of the $140k...will the existing property with GF be worth original value + $140k? If the area grows, will this go up in proportion?

I have access to the capital from my Syd development projects so that is not as much of a consideration.

Tom Rivera likes this.