Loan Tip: Ticking Time Bomb of Interest Only Loans Expiring

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Terry_w, 18th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I didn't know that. That particular loan is only $25K.

I'm not concerned now our broker has put my mind at rest. We are well prepared for lots of eventualities. I'm quite satisfied we don't have to go cap in hand to the bank any time soon to plead to keep the IO for longer. We will have resolved many things long before we have to do that.

We have many exit options, but this thread did prompt me to ask the question, so I'm thankful to be assured we are ok.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Just check your loan documents to be sure. I have never seen a Westpac loan have an IO term longer than 15 years.

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Wylie, I would double check that. It's outside all of our experiences which may mean you're very lucky, or you've been misinformed by your broker.

If you've been misinformed, it would be best to find out now. :)

wylie likes this.
  4. wylie

Good idea. I'm comfortable for now and we will be making big changes very soon and rejigging things (without having to re-apply). I'd ask my broker more, but he isn't great at getting back to me, so the answer I got a few weeks back is enough for now. But I will dig further when we get together to plan whether we prepay loans this year.

5. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Just pull your mortgage documents out and check... or call the bank and check. :) As Jess has stated, this is outside the experiences of the brokers here so it's well worth taking the 5 minutes to check your documents.

flyhere likes this.
  6. euro73

It would be great if everyone could generate much more income from employment - but one of the downsides of this would be massive inflation, and massive rate rises....

The reality is, we are in the lowest wage inflation period in a generation, so this just isnt going to be available to the majority.

Once again - it's why I have been singing the praises of injecting at least 1 or 2 cheap and cheerful NRAS properties into a portfolio. With an NRAS property typically generating between 8-10K tax free dollars into a household, that's like a 12-14K pre tax pay rise. Multiply that effect by holding 2 or even 3 NRAS properties, and that's going to make a serious difference to most household cash flows, and their capacity to aggressively pay down debt. That in turn will provide very valuable buffers against future I/O v P&I issues- if they do happen.

For any investor who has not yet quite reached their servicing ceilings but is within 1 or 2 purchases of doing so, I'd be looking at using that last remaining capacity to get a couple of these cash cows into the mix... think of them as extremely helpful debt reduction tools that provide insurance/ contingency planning against the issues being discussed here.

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2016
    teetotal likes this.
  7. euro73

typically @ 40-50K of additional income would be required per million dollars of debt, to restore your pre APRA capacity. But if you can reduce debt , that figure can be reduced.

There are 2 main reasons for arriving at this figure;

1 - Sensitised Assessment Rates.

Setting aside a very very small number of lenders, all debt ( new and existing) is now being assessed at between 7.5% - 8% instead of the actual rate you are paying. In spite of some of the recent claims on here to the contrary, that's happening pretty much everywhere, give or take a few basis points on way or the other...

So while you may be paying 4.5% , if you are being assessed at 7.5%, that's a 3% difference. And at 8% it's 3.5% difference. While there are a small number of exceptions to this - this is overwhelmingly the situation for the majority.

That means that for every $1Million you owe, a bank is saying you are spending between 30-35K per year more than you really are, just to service that debt. And that's on an Interest Only basis. It's worse when P&I is considered. But for the moment, lets just look at I/O

2. Household Expenditure Measures

As we all know, the HEM's have added up to an additional $800-1200 per month to the expenses of those earning above average incomes... This can add up to as much as 10-14K per year in additional expenses being attributed to you by lenders

Add Points 1 + 2 together , and you get 40-50K per $1 Million in debt

The solution to this problem lies in either big increases to income , which very few can conjure up or manufacture, or through debt reduction, which can be achieved by

Big lottery wins - the odds of which are.... ????
    Big inheritences - which none of us wish for... OR
    Big yield increases such as regional dual occ or NRAS - which can be accessed by all

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2016
    flyhere and Barny like this.
  8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Easy for us. If it happens, we will give ourselves a 25% pay rise by increasing our 4% self-funded pension to 5%. It will be mandatory for us to do this in 4 to 5 years time anyway when we hit 65, unless the Government changes the rules (again).

The joy of being a self-funded retiree.

flyhere and Terry_w like this.
  9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Awesome thanks, this is what I needed to know.
    Will be interesting to see how much more it will change over the next couple of years, and how it will affect serviceability again.
    So for now, I need pay rises, lucky I have 2 more coming over the next 2 years.

10. wylie

We've not touched our super. Hubby is 57 and I'll soon turn 56. I sometimes wonder if we should look at some sort of transition to retirement to give us more money but until we need to, I have just not touched it. I've got a lot of plates spinning right now and don't need another thing to think about, but I'm curious to know if your "self-funded pension" is a transition to retirement arrangement via super and if so, at what age did you arrange that?

Also, with our combined super balances fluctuating anything up to $60k one month to the next, I'd hate to draw anything now (taxed or not taxed) and take it when the balances are down.

flyhere likes this.
  11. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Because of all the recent/ new changes to be implemented in the future, I think my next purchase or 2 is going to it for while. It was a great run and learned heaps of things, but guess it was a matter of time.

12. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Hi Imbi3, As far as I know a bank can demand full payment of any loan, not just a LOC. I don't think there's would be a greater risk with a LOC product as opposed to a normal loan.

13. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Not unless there is a breach of your agreement.

flyhere and Connor like this.
  14. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We're talking Mt Druitt .... ?

Cliff

15. Richard Luke

Richard Luke Member

I see this a lot with people as it is. People have done their TTR and not reviewed the lending thinking the bank will just roll it once the I/O period will finish.

Then theres the broker/lender compliance requirements to build in....

Terry_w likes this.
  16. euro73

For you or any investor in this position, where you are approaching servicing ceilings and may find yourself sidelined from further investment for many years after your next purchase or two, some very serious consideration should be given to deploying that remaining capacity to assets that will dramatically improve your cashflow so that you can reduce debt. Unless you have very large salary increases on the horizon, debt reduction will be the most effective thing you can do to improve your capacity to borrow, over the long term.

Otherwise, the time you are required to sit on the sidelines may be far longer than you think... consider how long it will take for payrises and rental increases to replace 40-50K in reduced income for servicing for each $1 Million in debt you carry ....

flyhere likes this.
  17. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Thank you and yes, that's my plan to reduce my overall debt levels and cashflow. I just hope that I am not in the sidelines as a spectator for a long time as I doubt I have a massive pay rise coming anytime soon.

18. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

LOC would be targetted first and foremost

From a risk v PR perspective the first thing to be shut off would be LOC limits, then Term loan redraws...........

Specifically though, WBC Equity manager product had/has a specific clause that says repayable on demand...............not good for long term hard debt

ta
    rolf

19. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Rolf, does this mean if you had purchased a home using a loc, they can demand you repay the full amount at any time in their clause?
    Example, if I had investment property worth 300k I purchased using a line of credit, they can ask me to repay the full amount if they say so?

That means I would have to either come up with 300k to pay it, or sell up and repay it. Do they even give you time to sell the property if it ever happens?

20. euro73

How are you planning to reduce your debt?