Loan Structure Advice

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by MIana, 3rd Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MIana

MIana Member

Hi all,

I'm new to the PP investment world, I'm doing my research to plan out a proper loan structure for my first IP, and need some advice from you guys

My situation:
    - My wife and I bought a PPOR last year under both of our names. The loan was 515k split into a fixed rate account 260K and variable rate acc 255K, the variable account has redraw facility only. We then received a gift from our parents and put it straight into the variable account. We have redrawn from it many many times for personal purposes.

- As of now, the balance is
    • Fixed rate acc: 248k
    • Variable rate acc: 125k + 120k redrawable.
    - The estimated house value at the moment is about 800k

We now want to maximize the loan to 80% which is about 640k to release some equity to use for the IP. We are planning to pay that 120k off to the bank to bring down the balance to 373k? refinance it to get
    - Loan A: 373k, security is the PPOR
    - Loan B: 267k (640-373) as a LOC, security is the PPOR - this will be used for IP deposit + stamp duty + other related expenses only.
    - And when we buy the IP, we'll apply for a loan C, secured by the IP itself

I'm seeking some feedbacks for this plan. Is there any other way to make it better? This is our first investment, so just want to make it good from the beginning.

Thanks,

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hey Mlana,

That sounds fine on the face of it.

I wouldn't get a LOC though, they're expensive and the risks tend to outweigh the benefits.

Just bear in mind that if your PPOR ever becomes an investment, you'll need to get some accounting advice due to the redrawing for personal use. In the future, an offset will give you more flexibility with less risk of stuffing up your deductions.

There's lots of good brokers on the forum who can help you set this up - it's always good to know you're not making rookie errors when dealing direct with the bank.

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

couple of quick questions pls

when does the fixed rate expire ?

will this be your forever home, or will it become an IP one day ?

ta
    rolf

4. MIana

MIana Member

@Jess Peletier thanks for your advice, instead of a LOC, I’m thinking about getting an IO loan with a offset acc attachted. How do you think?

5. MIana

MIana Member

@Rolf Latham
    The fixed rate expire in 11 months
    And yes, it will become an IP one day, but I’m not sure when.

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

In most situations, this would be better.

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Perhaps have a chat to your accountant about the future impacts of the above and this bit below.
    The 373 may end up being a contaminated loan?

ta
    rolf

the variable account has redraw facility only. We then received a gift from our parents and put it straight into the variable account. We have redrawn from it many many times for personal purposes.