Loan Protection Insurance, deductible?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by bonanzawealth, 28th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bonanzawealth

bonanzawealth Well-Known Member

I've been offered loan protection insurance, it seems like a good product to have. Just wondering if the monthly premium cost is deductible as IP expenses? Because it seems it protects the borrower more than the IP itself. Hope @Terry_w or @Paul@PFI can shed some light?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I would think that the premiums would be deductible if they related to the protection of loan repayments. Sometimes these policies have other components such as life insurance and this part wouldn't be deductible.

But you have to ask yourself if these sorts of policies would be a good idea. WOuld income protection insurance be cheaper.

3. bonanzawealth

If I get a $500,000 loan, Monthly insurance premium cost $200. here's what they offer:

So can this still be applied to IP expenses?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No.

5. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

For that sort of price aor a bit more you can get other insurances which would be

-10k pm Income Protection payment until 65 ( tax deductible premium)
    - 1 million death cover
    - 1 million TPD insurance
    - 150k trauma cover.

So shop around before you decide or see an insurance broker. well worth the time.

6. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

7. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

These 'loan protection' insurances are alright to set up if you have a loan settling soon, in most cases this is not the best product long term. They are quick to set up, but don't are the most tailored cover.

I'd suggest setting it up if loan settling soon so at least you have something in place, then look at reviewing. Should cost anything to cancel.

8. bonanzawealth

it's not mandatory to get it. I just thought it's a good idea. They name it as Loan Protection Plan by ALI Group.

Thanks for the link @MikeLivingTheDream. On the second link it says:
    So it seems nothing is deductible then as all the benefit do mention 'death' in it

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The loan protection insurance is a scam that amounts to a limited life / income cover. Its not deductible. The receipt of the policy proceeds would be exempt also.

Same sort of insurance as credit card insurance and a myriad of scams that car dealers run.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia