Living together, but not together - older women

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by wylie, 1st Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This story just came to my attention and it is something I've thought about before, but not seen it put into practice.

Five women are each putting up $120k to have a share in a large, purpose built house for older women to share, but keep their own space. To have company there if you need it, or to have your own space if you don't want company at times is a brilliant idea. Eat together, or cook for yourself.

This would suit many older women who find themselves in the large family home, but aren't ready for a retirement village style or a unit somewhere and the loneliness that comes with it (not to mention the high cost of buying into either of those). This would give money to invest on sale of the family home.

It would be good to know if one could sell if the owner needed to move to high care housing, how they manage bills, individually metered, etc, but what a great idea.

There would be a call for this for older men as well of course, but this is a great start.

New concept to see older women living together to avoid homelessness, loneliness

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Looks like a cross between modern boarding house (rooms would be bigger than 16m²) and the SEPP5 concept (over 55's housing, strata'ed but much smaller ie single bedroom & some shared facilities).

It would have legs but I feel limited appeal for purchase. Players in that market would appear to be church-owned retirement units which are rentals or seniors living developments.

3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Affordable housing strategy seems really promising.

I wonder if it's possible to find 5 blokes to live together without squabbling?

Maybe let the girls show how it's done, and we can learn from them.

I wouldn't think this is very commercial, but as a social enterprise/ charity looks very promising.

Joynz likes this.
  4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, my experience has been that this sort of set up doesn't work very well in practice. Imagine all the normal issues of strata complexes and getting everyone to make decisions together - and then multiply that a few more times when people are practically living on top of each other.

I've acted for clients multiple times in this sort of shared housing arrangements (including co-ops), and its just a hotbed of issues.

I'm got a current matter now and it involves 9 older women who have split into factions and basically the place can barely function. There's restraining orders involved too.

craigc, Propin, Piston_Broke and 3 others like this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

While good in theory, I don't think it would really work that well in practice. Not unless each unit is Strata-d, so that those involved can sell their interests if they wish.

It reminds me of some old housing commission studios that I've seen around. They are usually found in a line of 5 or 6, and are usually rented to older people.

craigc and Piston_Broke like this.
  6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

With my work I go through a tonne of properties and I've seen elderly women house sharing twice, I think. It's been limited to 2 x women only, and in both cases the titled remained in one name, while the second was renting..

I don't see the benefit of multiple people having to have an equity share in the property? Is investing in their golden years important? It just seems to create problems by having multiple people on a title.. 5 x people seems crazy to me, while 9 x people in the example above is just insanity.

I think house sharing is a great idea, but limit it to renting only.. you get the companionship and flexibility of moving if things turn sour.

Angel, Lizzie and wylie like this.
  7. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think it would be practical as people are getting old, may need care, moving to a nursing home or they may die. How would you set that up?

I think if someone owned a home having a boarder would be more practical. Or share renting.

When I was younger I volunteered for Meals on Wheels in Gladesville, Sydney. It was so sad. Old people living in huge old houses by themselves. Often the houses needed repair and the owners were often lonely and isolated.

vbplease and skater like this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've heard of schemes where old people living alone in places like that let students share their house rent free in return for some jobs around the house and providing companionship.

vbplease likes this.
  9. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw an article on that too. Fabulous idea.
    I met a lady the other day that takes overseas students. Bit different, she gets paid. But a great idea.

10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I knew a lady that did that as well. She made quite good money out of it as she always had several at the same time.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I guess when I've thought about this idea, it was that several friends who already know and trust each other would pool their resources. But I guess even existing friendships could turn sour, especially when they've never lived together.

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Homelessness among older women is a growing problem.

This initiative isn’t about investing it’s about having a stable affordable place to live.

wylie and boganfromlogan like this.
  13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure that a driver for this would be the women who don't have enough superannuation to support them to buy a place of their own in retirement - which is a reasonable cause for concern.

I don't know if a model more like a retirement village might be more suitable.

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Hubby’s nanna and her sister did something similar back in the 1970s.

Both widowed, they wanted to build a duplex but zoning disallowed this. They build a single house, centre “Core” was the kitchen, bathroom and laundry. At each end there were individual living room, bedroom and enclosed verandah.

Worked well. Hubby’s nanna died first, and as per the family agreement her sister lived there until she died, when the house was sold and proceeds split.

craigc, Travelbug, Propin and 3 others like this.
  15. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Makes a lot of sense for 2 ppl collaborating.

I think when the numbers get more the arrangements could be more difficult.

My observation of older ppl ( including myself) is we are somewhat set in ways.

I can imagine getting annoyed with others for things not property related. What if my tribe had a mix of views about vaccinations? And we all shared air?

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

datto and spoon like this.
  17. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

If the host is doing a good job, then good on them. However, one of my mentees many years ago was living in the front porch sun room with louvre windows. In winter Melbourne, it was almost like living on the street. But the boy needed a guardian and that was the arrangement. Not a very decent host I would have thought. And he rarely had a hot meal.

18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Scott No Mates and Lacrim like this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Isn't that more a case of the elderly pensioner bringing in the young thing from one of our northern countries - is rather a win/win - someone to care for the old age and the carer gets money to send home

Can't say I find it appealing, but each to their own

20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Wow! That's terrible.

The ones that I knew, it was high school age children. They had to provide a room, or shared room and three meals a day. You were supposed to look after them as if they were their own kids, however I did notice that on family outings the students were always at home studying. Not saying they weren't welcome to come, as I wasn't privy to that information.