Living in a van/campervan

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Moist, 16th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Hubby had a dream of driving around Australia in an RV when we retired. We bought a cheap one to try it out. We wen t to Tassie for a month. I thought I'd be ripping my hair out but I loved it (Tassie IS amazing).
    We recently upgraded to a newer one. We love it. The trick is too not get something too big as it restricts where you can get into. We can park in a normal parking spot (a little wide and long but fits) so we can park in towns. We have a small motorbike on the back too.
    I don't think I could live in it full time as Overseas travel keeps calling me. We have met a lot of people living in their motorhomes. Most people pack up and try it for a few years, then sell up their furniture etc. Some sell their home, which I would never do (assuming I only had one). I ask what they'll do when they can no longer drive or have health issues.
    We are heading off overseas for a few months then will take our time heading the Queensland for the winter. We will spend 3 months in Tassie in the summer.
    You won't know if you don't try it. DO IT!!!!

Look at - Everything Caravan and Camping on Facebook. It's a great site with lots of tips, free camps etc.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

@Jess Peletier I would say the same! Leaving Townsville one it starts getting green is up there with great Ocean Rd imo, although different they are great drives

3. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Please - follow your heart....:)
    Hate your job but handcuffed to the income?
    Do it and you will never regret the changes when you do actually "retire".
    Plenty of risk adverse people in the cemetery....

I used to do contract work around Northern Australia and had a 4wd + trailer with larger tent for long stays. Not so good in the wet season but very comfortable otherwise.
    Medical staff are always in demand because it can be such a demanding job......
    Money will not be a problem once you get sorted - happy people have happy lives!
    Lots of beautiful places to explore, lots of characters to meet - go get it happening - and good luck!

I expect your first problem will be sorting which contract do I go to first.....;)

ellejay, Moist, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Perfect - shouldn't be any different to normal self employed policy. Most recent two years financials (one year with ANZ, Cba, stg).

Cheers

Jamie

Moist likes this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't be too bad..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Y-man

6. Danyool

Danyool Well-Known Member

Is it your own practice? Are u planning to keep running it while traveling? Or is it something u can sell as an established business? Or you just closing up shop?

If the latter, guess u make sure its what u want. If u havent lived in a camper yourself. I'd suggest checking out Relocations (was Standby Relocations) you can rent anything from small pop top campervans to 6 bed motorhomes with shower/toilet from $1 per day and u have to relocate it from say Brisbane to Sydney.

You only get a certain number of days at cheap rate, eg 3 days for that trip, but u can get extra days at a discounted rate, depending when it's available to be picked up and when it needs to be at its destination. We did one from Melbourne to Hobart was 3 days at cheap, then we got another 3 days for $75 per day. (This was a few years ago, so not sure current rates) They covered $200 for the ferry. Some of the rentals give a bit towards fuel. Well worth it to check out how you would go. We enjoyed our Tassie trip.

U could even advertise on Gumtree for travel partner if u want company. Share experience and fuel costs! ;) (but if you're going for solitude, skip this part)

The only con is generally short notice - like u can't plan a trip for say June from destination x to y. It may be one needed at that time, but u may have to take what is available. - still could be fun though with a bit of spontaneity! Also make sure u got travel insurance for rental excess.

Moist likes this.
  7. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

Eyeball popping stuff! :D
    Luxury to the nth degree!
    This baby must be at least half a mill. :cool:
    An very ordinary used Winnebago coach is already 155k....

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Beanie Girl likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

10. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Can you explain your trust entity?

If you are in the public system, you are an employee.

If you are in private, unless you have a business and private practice (in which case you would have to earn more than 150k just to cover costs), then how are you anything other than a sole trader, an individual paying for and being directly paid for a service?

Genuinely interested.

12. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

Sure.

I'm the director of a trust that operates an optical business. The exam side is subsidized by medicare. Retail sales is the other main source of income, which is largely private. I work as the sole optom, but have retail staff working for me as employees.

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2016
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Geez... I think you could nearly run an optometry business out of a campervan.

Mobile business... do a stint anywhere you want to... might be a little hard for repeat business, and it would be a complete distaster if your campervan was ever broken into... but hey... there are mobile blood banks and mobile dog washers etc... so you arent being completely ground breaking...

14. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

Some have tried. I think they did alright. People that get eye tests often want to buy glasses as well though. The people who just go for eye health reasons like going to the same clinician....

Probably not worth it....advertising costs wouldn't be effective for some time in a new place too

Gockie likes this.
  15. Gockie

I suppose you'd want a break though from seeing Optometry gear everywhere... not such a fan seeing it inside your home... at least I don't think you'd want to see it! :)

Moist likes this.
  16. Gockie

Ps. I have an uncle who is a qualified Optometrist, he ran his own business for many years... maybe at age 35 or so he decided he was bored of it so he went to do more study so now he's been working in IT for about the last 15 years. But he's still doing a half day shift of Optometry something like every fortnight on a Saturday morning just to stay qualified basically.

I think I value my weekend time too much... (hypocritical me with other extracurricular activities... I think its time to pull back a bit...)

Last edited: 18th Jan, 2016
  17. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

When I lived there they mostly used goose neck trailer vans towed behind pick up trucks often running on gas (real Gas LPG) and they wouldnt buy imported cars.

18. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

yeah the profession can be very mundane I find. I'm 26, but knew back when I was only 6 months into it that I couldn't do it forever.....hence my journey into property! :)

I think I could keep on with it until I can balance a bit on my portfolio. We'll see....

Gockie likes this.
  19. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'd try and establish your retail outlet as running as independently without you as possible. Then with a passive income you can do as you like, and touch base with your business when you need to.
    I'm not sure if your locum income can be directed via your business - your accountant could advise

20. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

thanks I agree. There's a risk in it though with potentially making a loss if another optom runs it into the ground further. I think I would rather sell it to release the debt. I think this would also improve my serviceability and risk profile with lenders.

Gockie likes this.