Lives termites B&P

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Enkay88syd, 9th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Enkay88syd

Enkay88syd Member

Hi everyone, we have received our B&P report back, it shows they found lives termites on the ground, and recommend a termites management. It is a brick veneer building, 12 years old, building reports seems fine, just worry about termites. Spoke to the inspector, saying this is very common in SE QLD. He doenst think there is an issue, but the report says high risk. What would you do?! If this a deal breaker? Thank you for your input.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They have proposed a method to keep a check on the termites, 6 monthly or annual inspection and bait stations are a minimal way to ensure that there are no issues.

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If the bank finds out about it, they'll decline the application.

In my opinion if the bank doesn't want the property, then I wouldn't want it either.

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Termites are on the ground, not in the house? How close to the house, and can you remove whatever they are munching on? We've had it before that the house was fine, but they liked a tree that was on the property.

Stoffo and wylie like this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

So the house was clear?

Not an issue. There are termites just about everywhere in SE QLD, we have had them in our fence posts. Only an issue if they are found in the house.

Of course the report says “high risk”. That is just to cover the inspection firm. I would put far more reliance on what the inspector said.

If you buy, you can install termite barriers.

(And since the house is unaffected, you most probably can’t use this report to terminate the contract.)

wylie likes this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Built in the last 12 years in SEQ, then the house likely had a termite barrier installed at/after construction ;)
    Have a look in the electricity meter box for a pest sticker, this will indicate if there's been any prior maintenance works :cool:
    Allow $100-500 to treat existing termites in yard
    (Just remember, termites can easily travel underground from the nest for several house blocks to eat your house :eek:).

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would be calling in a pest control company to report on the dwelling to be certain and the remedy before assuming anything. Make sure the inspection is covered by insurance.
    B & P doesnt mean the pest element is conducted by a pest expert with a license.

Discuss with your soliictor asap

8. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

If they're on the ground not in the house you'll be fine from a lending point of view.
    The inspector is correct in saying it's very common here in SE QLD, lots of places have live termites in the surrounding gardens etc but as long as they are not in the structure then it's not a deal breaker in my opinion, just ensure proper termite management systems are regularly maintained.
    I've even had clients buy houses where previous termite damage was evident (although minimal) and the termites have been treated with no live termites found.
    note that if there are any areas of the building the B&P inspector could not access it may be worth getting a second Pest Inspection with access to those areas to be fully sure no termites are there, peace of mind.