LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) Q4 2018

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Pleep, 1st Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I’m not psychic but I assume you’re referring to MIR?

Thought you’d be buying PIC recently when it got to $1.01? Besides what happened to the not buying till mid January?

Mid 20’s here over the Xmas to New Year period:). Had to put the pool cover on the pool to keep the water warm enough:cool:. Shopping centre to cool off:eek:. Thought a wealthy fella like you would have ducted air con?

PS: Just saw your cryptic comment on MIR thread which I assumes links to the one here? Not on the Four Pillars again by any chance:D? Alternatively heat stroke?

Last edited: 27th Dec, 2018
    Snowball, pippen, Froxy and 1 other person like this.
  2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

You are correct, good sir.

If it gets to that level I will consider but at the moment it's O/S component is, um, limited I think. However, I did but quite a few when it was below it's issue price and NTA for quite sometime.

The disclaimer in my post of 4 December 2018 in the WHF SPP thread applies - in all circumstances.:p

I do have aircon but I'm a cheapskate. The shopping centre was paying for it not me.:) It's 35C or thereabouts in this part of Australia.

Yep.

No alcohol for me.:( Although I believe Four Pillars was recently selling stuff labeled Christmas Gin. Maybe it had grated frosted reindeer hooves in it. I wouldn't know.

As to heat stroke why do you think I'm typing this rubbish? Hehe

Last edited by a moderator: 29th Dec, 2018
    DoggaPP and Nodrog like this.
  3. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Milton is looking at around a 6 to 7% discount to nta me thinks!

DoggaPP likes this.
  4. dranzer

dranzer Member

I bought some at $4.30 yesterday and thought it was at a 3-4% discount. What's the NTA you're looking at?

5. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Had a quick look at end of month nta last month and compared it with current xjo as well as end of month xjo to get the difference in movement and new adjusted nta figure as a baseline

Last edited: 29th Dec, 2018
    DoggaPP likes this.
  6. San2018

San2018 Well-Known Member

What is the best LIC at the moment with good discount. Just setup westpac trading account on my wife's name who is in lower tax bracket . Thought of taking advatage of franking credits instead of leaving funds in offset account for 4% interest.

Planning to invest 10K to try with the view to hold long term. I might keep buying more LICs for every couple of months.

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Well, maybe someone give you some pointers @San2018 on particular LIC's.

I can only tell you what I look for which is price around NTA and yield somewhere between 4% to 4.5% not including franking. On those I reckon they are just part of a year end tax adjustment and don't take them into account for income purposes through the year.

Islay, Anne11 and San2018 like this.
  8. oddshapes

oddshapes Well-Known Member

Sorry, not an answer to your question but I just came across a special at NABTRADE which may be of interest to you. 100 free trades, have 3 months to use them so long as you join by end of Jan '19. (I don't know if this is a common deal/special or not)
    Shareholder get better - nabtrade

9. San2018

Thanks oddshapes. I opened with westpac because i already have loans and offset accounts with them.its quick to move funds in and out of the trading acciunt instead of waiting for a couple of days. I think its good offer from nabtrade for someone who does 20 plus trades in 3 months. In my case, i am expecting to do less than 5 trades in next 3 months.

oddshapes likes this.
  10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

One of the FIRE guys created this. May or may not be useful, haven’t really checked:

Portfolio tracker

Portfolio spreadsheet : fiaustralia

almostthere and ChrisP73 like this.
  11. San2018

Thank you @SatayKing. Appreciate if someone can comment who is actively buying LICs at the moment. I am looking at Pre and Post-Tax discounts at Morningstar and Cuffelinks for BKI, MLT, ARGO, QVE but none of them seems have good discounts at the moment.

What is the best place (Cuffelinks, Morningstar etc.) to review LIC discounts.It seems Morningstar doesn't release these reports as frequently as Cuffelinks.
    Not sure why Cuffelinks report doesn't have Post Tax NTA discount details.
    Are there any alerts we can set up when a particular LIC is on discount.

Many thanks

DoggaPP likes this.
  12. Sannie

Sannie Well-Known Member

https://www.marketindex.com.au/sites/default/files/free-stuff/spreadsheet/mi-workbook-20180712.xlsx

Either you or someone posted this a while ago. Hope there is no copy rights issue for me to post it back again. One day when the need arises I may take some inspiration from the above and create a copycat to suit my needs.

DoggaPP likes this.
  13. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Have a search on the forum for beginners guide to lic investing and you should find a good pdf file outlining the methods of calculating premiums discounts!

Last edited: 31st Dec, 2018
    San2018 likes this.
  14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Attached is the PDF (see p3) but only gives a guide to formula for adjusted NTA for older style index proxy LICs.

Attached Files:

15. San2018

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Jan, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.