Lino/vinyl on top of old lino

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by dabbler, 4th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Have a place with an older lino floor, lino in good condition, but really ages the kitchen area (which looks old as it is, typical 60's era)

I see you can get lino/vinyl squares that you can stick straight onto old flooring and comes with own adhesive.

But we are thinking there are better looking choices in 2m wide vinyl options, is it viable to just use new vinyl roll & use a glue to stick down ?

Not really wanting to lift the old flooring at this stage as not doing a full reno.

What do you suggest or what has worked for you ?

If using new vinyl in rolls, what glue do you use to stick to older 60/70 s era lino ? Would you cover whole area in the glue, or just edges of the sheets ?

TIA

2. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Careful. Asbestos abounds in 60s lino if lifting.

New straight over will be fine. I've used vinyl planks which I was really happy with

WestOz likes this.
  3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Yep loose lay vinyl planks, min 5mm, my installer said I could put them over the tiles in the bathroom so should be good in your situation.

That stuff with the sticky back, or pretty much anything 2mm thick, is crap...

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I have got the thin vinyl in a few places, actually surprised how well it stands up, one has tears around the fridge area though.

I was specifically going to use the thin vinyl in rolls instead of stick on squares, as floor in kitchen to hall carpet is matching height, I think it may be best to avoid a 5mm step up ?

The rolls are also very cheap, prob under 100 to do a large kitchen, my main concern us what to stick it down with if onto older lino ?

This is purely cosmetic, putting lipstick on what will always be a pig :)

PS did you stick the vinyl planks down, or do they interlock like floating floor boards ?

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

If it were me doing diy I would use minimal adhesive, around the edges, few swipes here and there in main traffic areas etc. If you have to rip it up in 12mths (cause it rips easy with fridges, chairs without soft shoes etc) you'll be glad it comes up easier than if you'd gone made with it.

Dunlop 1L Vinyl Adhesive
    Dunlop 4L Vinyl Adhesive

Floor coverings for rental development
    What sort of floor is this?

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The really good quality vinyl, with underlay backing, can be loose laid
    according to a blurb I was reading the other day. Though I would add an edging strip to be sure.

Loose lay vinyl planks: some kinds don't need glue and just click into each other.