Linen cleaning practices

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Sal2021, 31st Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Should doona covers (or doonas/blankets used in triple sheeting) be laundered after EVERY stay?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Ok well I've never heard of that one before but you've opened a can of worms in my head now. Holy crap.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Most (all) hotels would use mattress protectors. Even YHAs use them. These are washable - but may or may not be washed with every sheet change.

3. Sal2021

Sal2021 New Member

Thanks for bringing us back to the conversation Joynz.

My motivation for raising the issue in this forum was to see what other short term rental property owners views were on this practice. I was also motivated to make it known that this is a practice among some cleaners and some short stay accommodations.

And, if there are some of us here that think the failure to launder any part of the linen package after each stay is gross, then we, as owners, have the power to start the change.
    - Those of us who are landlords in the short term rental market need to question our cleaners and agents about their practices, and only employ those who will accede to our standards.
    - We can advertise that we launder all linen between stays (that also sends out the message to potential tenants that this doesn't happen in all s/t accommodations)
    - Any one of us on this forum, s/T rental landlord or not, can ask questions about linen laundering practices every time we book a stay, and demand ALL linen should be clean.

With this sort of pressure, hopefully those recalcitrant cleaners (and some owners/proprietors) will learn that it is not ok to wait til there are stains on the doona cover before laundering, or that a sheet on top doesn't protect from a dirty quilt, blanket or bedspread.

Shazz@ and Joynz like this.
  4. Vicki W

Vicki W Member

also a good time to ask when and how thing like the lounge/couch and associated cushions are cleaned.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Leather sofa lounges, no cushions. Never ever have fabric in a short stay rental. It does not clean or wear well.

6. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yummy :p I was wondering why Chinese food is so tasty and healthy.

7. 38215

38215 Well-Known Member

I have had some really gross encounters but have found raising the issue will only ruin your day. Unless there is lots of vacancy at the time, you are stuck. Managers / cleaners who do these things don't care and most customers don't care either, so *you* will become "the problem", not them.

I found this particularly pervasive in larger properties where often only the master bed is changed and kids beds are just left as they were :/ for God knows how long.

I always make a point of stripping the beds of linen before check out. Might discourage them from reusing?

Then there are the AirBnBs that expect you to make your own beds and do the laundry before you leave. Not a fan of that either.

lixas4 likes this.
  8. Ausprop

Ausprop Well-Known Member

I can't imagine washing 6 doonas several times a week - would be a full time job! As for the covers, I figure if it is good enough for the Hilton...