Light fittings - fans - arrrrrrrgh

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Lizzie, 16th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Build starts next week and getting down to the nitty gritty end of decisions ... the lighting plan is fine, as I went through it with a professional from Beacon Lighting ... and downlights are the majority option ... but the "feature" lights are starting to do my head in.

Going for rustic industrial look

Firstly - not a fan of ceiling fans. They are so practical and essential in summer - but - by god - they are ugly suckers - and not used for 95% of the year ... open to options ...

Below are the light fittings I've ordered for over one end of the kitchen island bench - and am ordering two smaller versions as beside pendant lights

Wanting to put a feature pendant light (or set of two) in the ensuite - but can't seem to find what I want and don't want to repeat again the commissioned light, rather, something complementary yet still rustic ...

*** actually - it's kinda fun researching. Wish I had more time

light.jpg

MTR, WattleIdo and EN710 like this.
  2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I have been researching fans too, recently.

There are a few designs I really liked that are asymmetrical - and/or not as clunky as most models.

Have a look at:
    -Big Ass Fans - some really big fans, quite elegant
    -Hunter Pacific models : Rose (DC model), Aerofirce (DC), Fascination(AC)
    -Beacon Lighting - has the Artemis.

I would compare the air volume of each. DC fans are the best for energy saving.

Lizzie likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Whole of house fans

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

hahaha - yes - the ducted air is also going in ... but on those hot-but-not-stinking days - and for sleeping under - nothing beats a fan ... don't want a light/fan but do want something discrete ... looking thru fansonline.com.au

Also in love with this product and will use it on the wall length kitchen bench (island bench will be limewashed timber) - and in the bathroom as a top for the timber buffet vanities

Paperock | A Strong, Sustainable & Smart Building Material

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

so - then you start to second guess and wonder whether to try for something discrete - or say "bugger it" and make it a feature ...

fan.jpg

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It's a real balance ... we're an hour from the coast, so can get pretty hot in summer.

The house is very solar designed so should stay cool, even if hot outside - we have lots of cross ventilation, but there are those days - like today - when you don't want to open the doors/windows and let the westerly in.

We are currently in a double brick house, so are familiar with the house staying cool. It might only be stinking hot half a dozen times a year in a good year, so you wonder why you spent the money on an aircon - but when you need it, you really need it ... the other4-5 weeks, fans in the evening will suffice.

Did originally think about bringing cool air up from under the house - but most of the house is raked ceiling, so wouldn't work.

All cool (pun intended) - if I like the industrial look fan by install, I'll funk them up myself

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. SK Investments

SK Investments Well-Known Member

Wherever the wind takes me, currently Brisbane
    What about the Fanaway?
    The fan that folds away so that all you see are little flying saucers hanging from the ceilings.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Seen them in real life and they look tacky ... options are now provision for fan light in the future, and try a couple of Dysons for those few days when needed ... or put up one industrial, graffiti-d, funky looking feature and see how it looks ...