Lifestyle - Tree change - 30 mins from Perth ? <$400 K

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Alex P Keaton, 7th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex P Keaton

Alex P Keaton Well-Known Member

Hi

I'm thinking in a few years time I might buy something remote, somewhere like near my friends house in Herne Hill. Does anyone have suggestions for affordable property not too far from the city? Swan valley area?

It would be wonderful to be able to have a backyard, to be able get out in nature and to sit in the sunshine in your own privacy.

It would also be lovely to have peace and quite so it would be great if I could find somewhere like this but not too far from the city. No further than a 30 min drive.

At present I'm in a 1 bedroom unit 8 km from the cbd and I don't have a courtyard. I'm craving open space, nature, peace and quite, serenity!

The good thing is though I have just a small mortgage and all my life I ve been telling myself that a small mortgage is my main priority. But now I'm starting to think maybe it's not the most important thing for me. My health and happiness comes first. This would mean me taking on more debt if I bought something bigger. I'm I a good finically position so I do have options. I have another property as well but it's negatively geared by about $5k per year and still at the same value I bought it for a few years ago. So I can't sell that one for a while.

The other option is I could always rent somewhere I guess but I don't like the idea of being kicked out at a moments notice. Maybe I could try renting in an area and see if I even like it. I'm so used to living inner city so it'll be a big change.

Like for instance I went for a hike at Yanchep one day and I loved the feel of the place. I bought a sandwich at the nearby cafe and noticed and could feel how relaxed and carefree people were walking around the streets in thongs like they were on holiday. I too want that relaxed vibe. You walk down the street in my local woollies and all you can feel is the stress and tension emanating from people. People are always in such a hurry to be places these days. It makes you anxious and stressed too.

I'm house sitting at my sisters house for the week. She has a pool and nice large house and backyard and I find it very relaxing staying here. Every time I have to go home I'm sad to go. I managed to get a few days off from work while staying here.

I'll be selling off one of my properties soon to pay down some debt and I may be in a position to buy in the swan valley, hills area in a few years time depending on if rents pick up in Perth. I'll have just $120 k mortgage on my unit once my property sells. I would of hung on to my property if I didn't need to sell. Unfortunately because Perth rents came down so much I've had to offload, im not managing financially.

So this move will be purely for lifestyle reasons. I'd be better off staying where I am financially in my 1 bed but I don't want to do it long term. My happiness comes first.

Anyone got any advice on suburbs? I wouldn't want to spend more than $350 - $400 k. It would have to be set in an area that is not very populated.

Has anyone had a tree change, see change? How did you find it?

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Consider a SMSF primary production purchase.

3. Alex P Keaton

Well I've been thinking it over and had a chat with mum. I tend to agree.

I think I'm better off staying in the same suburb but just upgrade to either a duplex with a nice sized backyard or a villa with a large courtyard. I'm thinking old style duplex around the $350 k mark is the way to go.

I'm mostly after space. Where I am living is not healthy. Ive realised its not good to be cooped up in a small shoe box. Looking at 4 walls all day long.

I can buy a duplex with a nice sized living kitchen area that looks out onto a backyard patio area. :)

I can get some sun in the backyard. The puppies can come visit. I'll be close to family, close to the city and to work oh and it'll be great to have a washing machine and clothesline which I'm really missing.

I'll most likely wait 1-2 years before buying. There's no rush but i won't leave it too long whilst Perth is still at its bottom.

I'll get a $350,000 loan with around $100,000 in the offset account.

4. Alex P Keaton

Hi. Thanks for the reply but I'm not on enough money/don't have a large enough amount of money for self managed super funds to work. That's what I've read anyhow. I earn $68k pa

Journeyman likes this.
  5. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I think you made a good decision to stay in the same area instead of moving to the sticks. A duplex is a much better option than a property on the outskirts.

6. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Been a while Alex. How have you been?

For that sort of money you have loads of options. Why not something south of the river like this
    1 & 1A Adela Place Spearwood WA 6163 - House for Sale #127109774 - realestate.com.au

It’s far from a ‘tree change’ but it’s still city living on a peice of your own land.

You could also come even further north into hami hill and get something a bit older but with more land.

Options abound provided you are willing to move.

I don’t rate city living though and would rather have a better house further away than be close to the city living in a shoe box.

All comes down to your own personal preference

Blacky.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm about to move out to the Swan Valley but if all you need to make you feel relaxed is a back garden then I'd probably buy something closer to reduce the commute time that the swan valley would have.

It's pretty expensive in the swan valley unless you get highway frontage house and that probably isn't very relaxing.

This is a bit over budget but this is a 2 bedder will quite low maintenance but all the treechange features you want with the river at your doorstep
    Maylands address available on request - Townhouse for Sale #126190854 - realestate.com.au

Something around the river in Maylands, Bayswater might suit